Thread: Rewards!

Default Rewards!

I was thinking about taking across a stash of little typically "Scottish" things - postcards, shortbread, stickers, that kind of thing for maybe doling out as prizes, incentives, that kind of thing...

What do other people think about this? Good idea/bad idea?

I also thought that taking across touristy leaflets would be a good way to introduce ideas about travelling, sightseeing, that kind of thing - a lot of the leaflets are available in Japanese too so I thought taking some of those for comparison with the English ones would also be good...
    I have finesse!

I have finesse coming out of my bottom!

i reckon, pencils with the union jack on them, um, shortbread is always a good idea, teatowels, oh hang on that's my omiyage list.
    um stickers, badges, rubbers, rulers, stamps, just small things to get them excited, i read somewhere about postage stamps, 1 penny ones, and perhaps even a big bag'pennies, get £2.00 worth maybe and use them.

shoto
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

Default Rewards

Hi Chiara

That sounds like a great idea, from what I've read, regional items are ideal - anything which reflects the place where you live and its culture. A friend of mine went to China to teach last month and she took a couple of menus. The kids there were really interested in the UK dishes - god forbid what they thought of a full english breakfast!

And of course, we'll have to think about gifts for teachers, representatives etc. I think the same thing applies here. I know if a Japanese student came to this country to teach Japanese, I would be made up with something from Tokyo. So don't hold back, barrage them with shortbread!

Oh, and check out www.superstickers.com, a website reccommended to me by Hannah. Some really cool stickers here and I'll be sure to buy some sheets before I leave!

Jonathan

xx

wow that superstickers site is amazing, so many stickers i remember from my childhood. I do think they really encourage good work, i know they did at my school as we competed to see who could get the most. and at the end of the year the child with the most got a small prize.
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

Default Rewards

Exactamundo!

During english lessons, we used to receive one of the stickers for reading out loud. Some of the images really took me back to my times at school!

I rememeber us all being really hungry for stickers, it might well be a universal thing - hey, stickers are just cool 8)

Jonathan

xx

Rewards definitely good idea, i'll prob be stocking up on loads of tartan covered scottish stuff too it worked on me in my Japanese class when we were all fighting to win the pokemon instant curry!

Also, I've heard that those big cut out picture postcards of typical 'british' things (full english breakfasts included) are quite good teaching aids to get the kids more involved

mary

hmmm...superstickers is pretty good, but maybe a tiny bit "young" for high school students? I can't make up my mind if i would feel patronised if I received one of those if i was 15 or so! I know there's a good chance we'll be teaching younger kids, but I want something good for the older ones too!

thanks for the suggestion though - will definitely buy some!
    I have finesse!

I have finesse coming out of my bottom!

I've heard (secondhand) that the stickers actually go over well with Japanese highschoolers too. They seemed a bit young to me as well, but they would be foreign, so interesting.

I'd suggest any regional items that aren't overly complex. Things that they'd have in other forms would probably be great. So, for example, pens and pencils, stickers, stamps, coins. If you can get them, pencil cases, decorative pins w/ elements of your home culture, phone cards. The stranger (and yet more mundane) the better. Try to think of what they'd have in Japan, just not in English or American form, and go with things like that.

At least, that's what I plan to do.

Default Gift Books in English

For those who live in the U.S., I noticed that some of the larger bookstores such as "Barnes and Noble" seasonally carry volumes of "gift books" - nicely bound pocket-sized books with titles from what are considered "classic" titles in English - mostly authors whom one may see on high school student reading lists (Poe, Shakespeare, Twain, Thoreau, etc.) Depending on the skill level of one's students, these may be a neat way to introduce new works of fiction to their English studies.

Another, less expensive alternative would be to visit a used book sale and to load up on paperback novels. Most of the time you can get best-seller titles for less than $1US a piece. Fill a box and ship it to yourself before heading off to Japan. If your students turn out to be voracious readers, they may enjoy browsing the selection to borrow or to swap with their own collections for fresh reading material.

Be careful with the stickers! I have said this b4 (on 2004JET) but it is worth repeating, from an experienced Primary School teacher!!!

STICKER WARNING!

Don't over do it! If you start giving stickers as rewards you have to 'stick' to it (ha ha!) They will start to expect them!

How easy/expensive will it get if you keep it going all year?

In my experience (And admittedly I have had very nice classes in my time (could be down to my charm or bossiness maybe!) children have not needed rewards for learning. The sense of self achievement you install into them is far more effective than just doing well for a sticker. The novelty of the sticker will soon wear out, especially with older kids.

This could be difficult if you predicessor has given stickers etc as rewards in the past. It might make you unpopular to begin with! Although kids in this country learn to expect different things from different teachers. (Being foreign may lump us all in the same category tho, rather than individuals, I'm guessing on this part as I have no experience teaching abroad.)

When I have had difficult classes, I set up reward charts. (See, rewards are a sign of an inexperienced teacher or a naughty class!) The system I set up most recently had categories such as;

* We all joined in today (eg put up their hands to contribute)

* We helped each other (eg helped when someone had difficulty)

* We asked when we didn't understand

* We did our best (I can't remember them exactly!)

(You can tell the problems I had with this class then!)

Anyway, at the end of the week if they had built up enough points in each catergory (as a class) they got a jelly bean each! Yes that is all! Primary kids got excitied about jelly beans! (They were the posh ones- Jelly Belly and I built it up a bit!)

Well, I only needed to to this for a term and they were sorted and became much more self motivated.

It does have a lot to do with their previous teacher...

I'd save the rewards for the end of term... They will look forward to you coming back next term!

Having said all that, I could get out there and resort to the old sticker reward trick just as easily as anyone! I am used to my own lovely class who do anything for me and anything I ask them to do! I will miss the little darlings!

Hannah X

my American high school kids loved stickers. But they were art kids, so maybe they were pre-selected with a tendency for sticker-love.

All kids love stickers! I was sticker mad up until, well I still love stickers!!

My last post was just a warning that once you start something it is only fair that you keep it going (expense) and also the kids will work for stickers and not for you/themselves.

Stickers are great, I am not dissing them (I posted about the stickers suppliers in the first place! Stickers with English words on them may even help them remember some vocabulary... just keep um rare and and hard to get, therefore keeping them valuable! (Build them up as something special for younger kids and have a laff about them with older kids! (Stick them on their heads, backs etc (be funny!) once you know them quite well!!

I am bringing stickers! 8)

I should be paid commission by Superstickers.com!!!

Hannah X

Brisbane, QLD, Australia --> Osaka-shi, Osaka-fu, Nippon

A mate of mine who's a current JET said that his kids like Aussie coins. Apparently they're simple country bumpkins, so they might just be impressed by anything shiny
    Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here.