Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aeon

now that i think about, it doesn't make any sense to compare JET and AEON. both are avenues to Japan, but both have two very different goals.

my JET interview was all laughs and talk about culture, AEON didn't even take the time to get to know me.

but with that said it's still disheartening to know a backup option is gone.
    i hope interac doesn't want the same qualities as AEON because that's next for me.

Default Re: Aeon

12-10, someone really told you that?

When I worked there it was 1-9, and those are the hours I worked -- with the exception that they ask you to be there 10-15 mins early.

(this makes sense if you start teaching at 1, plus they were up front about it at the interview, so even if you don't like it, you can't pretend you are surprised)

The site still says "a 36-hour workweek consisting of no more than 25 teaching hours," so based on that and my own personal experience, I tend to think it's true.

AEON basically preps "worst case scenario" but it often is not the case, for example with the dress code. MOST schools are ok with shirt and tie (you should keep a jacket around to throw on for interview). I heard at *some* schools, the sort of "main" ones (Shibuya, etc) they really do expect you to wear a suit all the time, hence the "must wear a suit" rule that is 90% unenforced.

As for handing out flyers in your "unpaid" time, I don't really see it that way. You are paid salary to work 1-9. So, if at 2, they ask you to hand out some flyers... how is that unpaid?

(No question that it sucks. Happens maybe once every few months though.)

Ok I guess that's about it.

If your post were unfairly glowing about AEON I'm sure the devil's advocate would kick in and I'd be responding about how it isn't as great as all that. There is plenty that sucks about AEON... selling students crap they don't need for sure. No Japanese thing is bullshit.

Everyone who worked at AEON has some absurd story... I was studying Japanese on my break. My manager came in -- "shocked."

"You can't study Japanese here!"

"But it's my break."

"Right but you can't study Japanese here, ever."

"But I can leave...."

"Yes."

"Ok... I'm leaving."

Then a student came in for an interview, which I would have done on my break time, but since my manager had encouraged me to leave, there was no one around to do it.

Good stuff.
    Last edited by privileged; March 17th, 2009 at 12:40.

sometimes i see aeon employees handing out tissues in front of the train station, all i can think is im glad im not them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saitaman View Post
    sometimes i see aeon employees handing out tissues in front of the train station, all i can think is im glad im not them.
    holy shit. for real!?
    always a JETsmaid, never a JET.

for real.

its how they try to get people to sign up for classes, and unlike jet if you don't have a class you can't just go on ITIL, at an eikaiwa they find something for you to do, sometimes it is handing out tissues in front of the train station.

i knew they dont let you fuck around and do nothing, and i've known about the pamphlets, but jesus christ! handing out tissues at the train station!? damn.

FiercestCalm

At least you get to be outside, and presumably you could just toss the tissues and sit in a coffee shop. Who's going to know?

lol

or just take them.. i'm sure there are things to do with a years supply of tissues

The schools are usually next to the stations. And they have really big glass windows.

When I worked for Nova, I managed to weasel my way out of the handing out tissue thing by finding other things to do most of the time. Handing out tissues was a last resort kind of thing for me, I had to do it sometimes, but I really hated doing it.

I was never sent on a mission alone, always with a J-staff / assistant manager... usually a hot young girl equally displeased with handing out tissues, but Japanese, so unable to formulate any sort of rebellion about it.

I was handed Eikaiwa tissues while here in Saitama. Not from Aeon though.

Everyone here tells me that I don't look 'American', what the hell?

FiercestCalm

I've been handed eikawa tissues in Tokyo. They're just trying to get rid of them, not actually recruit students.

The old Nova buildng near my place has finally been rented out. They took down the Nova sign! I no longer have to look at it! You have no idea how happy that makes me.
    Last edited by Saitaman; March 19th, 2009 at 17:00.
    It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis

You used 'know' instead of 'no' not once, but twice...

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    You used 'know' instead of 'no' not once, but twice...
    Why you are right, Freudian slip.
    It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Saitaman View Post
    I was handed Eikaiwa tissues while here in Saitama. Not from Aeon though.

Everyone here tells me that I don't look 'American', what the hell?
    I get that too. I've been told I look more British a few times. How do you "look British?"

you smile less...or maybe its more. i cant remember.