Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

Thread: Aeon

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtaineater View Post
    you smile less...or maybe its more. i cant remember.
    i think british smile more. smiling less is a russian thing i'm told.

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    eMtotheKizzay
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Aeon

    It's less. We're a miserable bunch of fucks.

  3. #43
    FiercestCalm
    Guest

    Default Re: Aeon

    Maybe it's if you have wonky teeth.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saitaman View Post
    I was handed Eikaiwa tissues while here in Saitama. Not from Aeon though.

    Everyone here tells me that I don't look 'American', what the hell?


    American.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

  5. #45
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hey guys.

    I just got signed for a job with Amity and I have read many things about how bad everyone makes it out to be. Which terrifies me to some degree but at the same time many negative aspects people are mentioning seem to be things you know going into the job. ie Dress code, working hours, business "duties"

    Also I've interviewed with interac, JET, and Aeon, and Aeon/Amity seemed to be the best choice for me. Plus the people in the Chicago recruiting office were extremely nice. Which definitely goes along the lines of a job suiting each person differently.

    My JET interview was interesting to say the least. Yes perhaps I made a "mistake" while filling out my application and said a reason for placement near Tokyo was to be near my boyfriend. This was the only company which I mentioned this fact, which I knew was taking a risk. But I am totally pro-honesty and I don't feel that something like having a boyfriend should affect anyone's work ethic.

    They asked me in for an interview and I basically had no chance from the time it started. The interviewers were very rude in their tone of voice and were accusing me of only wanting to be in japan because of my boyfriend. Which wasn't the case, if they gave me a chance to explain my history of studying and story of how I got interested in Japan, they would have given me a fair interview. I'm not sure why they even invited me for an interview because it seemed like they were not going to choose me from the beginning.

    I was happy at that time because I already had offers with interac and Amity. I didn't take the job with Interac because they seemed extremely desperate and it was a bit suspicious.

    Again though, each job is different and it depends on each person. Of course I cannot defent Amity/Aeon yet because I have not started my placement but with the interview process I was far more impressed with their company whether a "cult" or not.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    101

    Default

    so even if JET does offer you a job you're not going to take it?

    anyway good luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by alexwalex View Post
    Hey guys.

    I just got signed for a job with Amity and I have read many things about how bad everyone makes it out to be. Which terrifies me to some degree but at the same time many negative aspects people are mentioning seem to be things you know going into the job. ie Dress code, working hours, business "duties"

    Also I've interviewed with interac, JET, and Aeon, and Aeon/Amity seemed to be the best choice for me. Plus the people in the Chicago recruiting office were extremely nice. Which definitely goes along the lines of a job suiting each person differently.

    My JET interview was interesting to say the least. Yes perhaps I made a "mistake" while filling out my application and said a reason for placement near Tokyo was to be near my boyfriend. This was the only company which I mentioned this fact, which I knew was taking a risk. But I am totally pro-honesty and I don't feel that something like having a boyfriend should affect anyone's work ethic.

    They asked me in for an interview and I basically had no chance from the time it started. The interviewers were very rude in their tone of voice and were accusing me of only wanting to be in japan because of my boyfriend. Which wasn't the case, if they gave me a chance to explain my history of studying and story of how I got interested in Japan, they would have given me a fair interview. I'm not sure why they even invited me for an interview because it seemed like they were not going to choose me from the beginning.

    I was happy at that time because I already had offers with interac and Amity. I didn't take the job with Interac because they seemed extremely desperate and it was a bit suspicious.

    Again though, each job is different and it depends on each person. Of course I cannot defent Amity/Aeon yet because I have not started my placement but with the interview process I was far more impressed with their company whether a "cult" or not.

  7. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triumphtr79 View Post
    so even if JET does offer you a job you're not going to take it?

    anyway good luck.
    I can't imagine them offering a job on account of the interview. Which I've done many interviews for various jobs and have always done at least much better than the JET interview. Like I said, I kind of think they had it out for me from the beginning.

    But even if they did offer me a job, I'm not taking it. I already signed with Amity. And I'm going to let myself be happy about it, bad rep or not.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Aeon

    Well, at least wait and see if Amity is actually offering you a place near your boyfriend. And that JET's placement wouldn't be anywhere nearby.

    The difference between a private company and a government program like JET can be quite remarkable.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Saitaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Saitama or Tokyo
    Posts
    2,245

    Default Re: Aeon

    I don't know much about amity maybe it is better than Aeon (working with little kids isn't a plus for me), maybe not. I prefer my job over the poor people at the Aeon by my station who have to teach more than me and get paid less. But it is up to you, I am sure there are plenty that would want the JET seat that you may get, but you don't owe it to them to give it up because you got the Amity gig. I say leave your options open as much as you can, don't say no to Amity but wait and see with JET.
    It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis

  10. #50
    FiercestCalm
    Guest

    Default Re: Aeon

    Amity pays a little better, but other than that I think it's pretty much exactly the same.

  11. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiercestCalm View Post
    Maybe it's if you have wonky teeth.
    That could explain why one of my teachers at study abroad thought I was British for 2/3 of the school year. That made class... interesting.

  12. #52
    FiercestCalm
    Guest

    Default Re: Aeon

    Aeon is a no for me. What seemed most important to my interviewer was how much I smiled during my sample lesson (not enough) and whether I could quickly adapt to the Aeon teaching style (apparently not). At least I'll feel more prepared for the Amity interview now.

  13. #53
    Али Димаев AliDimayev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.
    Posts
    16,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triumphtr79 View Post
    i think british smile more. smiling less is a russian thing i'm told.

    Smiling in Russian conveys more of a "I'm laughing at you" as opposed to just being friendly,cheerful.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

  14. #54
    Site Owner curtaineater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiercestCalm View Post
    Aeon is a no for me. What seemed most important to my interviewer was how much I smiled during my sample lesson (not enough) and whether I could quickly adapt to the Aeon teaching style (apparently not). At least I'll feel more prepared for the Amity interview now.
    uh, the interviewers are most likely going to be the same people and have even more stringent standards for amity than aeon, so you may get caught up on the same things.
    always a JETsmaid, never a JET.

  15. #55
    FiercestCalm
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtaineater View Post
    uh, the interviewers are most likely going to be the same people and have even more stringent standards for amity than aeon, so you may get caught up on the same things.
    Exactly. Now I know to grin like a maniac while delivering lessons.

  16. #56
    Senior Member cvmurrieta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In a Life After People
    Posts
    1,318

    Default Re: Aeon

    AEON never got back to me even though I applied several weeks ago.

    I guess they don't want ex-JETs.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

  17. #57
    FiercestCalm
    Guest

    Default Re: Aeon

    They sent me a letter. I was expecting an e-mail or a call, so it came later than I expected.

  18. #58
    Senior Member Saitaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Saitama or Tokyo
    Posts
    2,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cvmurrieta View Post
    AEON never got back to me even though I applied several weeks ago.

    I guess they don't want ex-JETs.
    Get back to them, or at them. whichever.
    It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis

  19. #59
    Senior Member cvmurrieta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In a Life After People
    Posts
    1,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saitaman View Post
    Get back to them, or at them. whichever.
    Thanks for the encouragement. I will get back to them within the next week.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

  20. #60
    Doesn't do O-ramas
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    12,821

    Default Re: Aeon

    Report back with what they tell you, cv.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •