Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: June! Time to start JLPT study!

Default June! Time to start JLPT study!

According to their application book anyway most people start studying in summer and it's pretty summery here so I cracked open the books again for 2q attempt 08.

Anyway else started studying? What level and what are you using to study?

I know more than the required amount of kanji so im not stressing too much on that and for vocab I'm using the facebook app called Kanji box.

For listening I'm using the unicom book. Listening was where I bombed last year and though I'm getting most of the practice exercises in it right I still feel like I don't have a lot of confidence.

Reading I've been reading the Harry Potter books in J to increase my speed and I'll crack open the Kanken book for that soon. I am using the green kanken book for grammar too.

And you? Am I a bit early then?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Huh? I've been studying since a week after the Level 3 test last year (trust me, I need it and I don't think I'll have much chance to study in England).

I'm using the Unicom grammar and reading books - usually read one or two articles a day, answer the questions, go over the grammar I don't know, practice the kanji I don't know etc.

Not worried about listening. Done lots of practice tests and it's definitely my strongest suit.

Fucking "Everyday phrases" will do me in. Everyday my arse.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Pandilex

dombay if only we could be study buddies!

its about time I really started kicking study ass for 2q.

my japanese is pretty shite though so god knows if I will pass it.

im depressed by the fact you are resitting it, it means ill end up doing the same probably ;(

Yea i don't know what happened to me in the listening last year. I must have been distracted by a hot korean test taker in front of me or something.

And yea I've been studying since I took the test last year more or less but not really seriously and I've been distracted by doing some uni units by distance from back home. So I'm trying to balance studying both now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    dombay if only we could be study buddies!

its about time I really started kicking study ass for 2q.

my japanese is pretty shite though so god knows if I will pass it.

im depressed by the fact you are resitting it, it means ill end up doing the same probably ;(
    Yea yea,

well I know a lot of people sit 2q at least twice and I have a friend who sat it like four times before she passed but like at the same time there's a lot of time between now and the first saturday of december! Can be done I reckon and I really need to whip my J into better shape too for the second time around.

If you start now you can do it I reckon.

Have fun with that. :P
    I shall sit back and relax because I'm sooooo not going through that crap again!
    It would be nice to get 2Q, but I know I'm not going to be able to pass it before I leave, so I won't bother.
    fucking genki

I started studying back in January, mostly focusing on grammar and had started getting more reading in. Timing is a bit off, though, as real life becomes a bit more important and I have to take the GREs before I send off graduate school applications in the Fall. The math section review was great, until I got to the drills to help improve writing for the essays. Makes me wish I could continue focusing my study time for 2Q.

I've heard that for vocab, a good way to learn it is put sentences into an SRS flashcard program (they're supposed to be a very efficient type of flashcard system that times out when you study what based on how well you've remembered the items. That way you're not wasting time studying some things more than you need or just keeping things in your short-term memory either) and just practice completely understanding the sentences. That way for words that are a bit more complicated, you get the context.

I haven't really tried it out much myself, though I have done SRS for other things and it does seem to work pretty well.

has anyone got a good list of grammar they can copy and paste for 2Q for me.. I have got lists from a few different sites and they are different from each other. so if anyone has a good grammar list for me to get stuck into i'd be happy. I've got the kanji and vocab lists..
    i highly doubt i can pass the test but i think i will still take it.. get a better idea of why lies ahead of me for the next year taking it.

I'm three weeks in the hole and I'm learning to count. What the hell is with all this different numbers depending on what you're counting malarkey? I thought the fuckin alphabets were bad enough, now I have to remember separate groups of numbers?

Ah well, I got the important stuff down: Izakaya wa - doko desu ka?

EDIT: I realise this is somewhat of a non-sequitur to you guys on the JLPT course, but this numbers thing has really irritated me and I need to vent somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by karumu
    has anyone got a good list of grammar they can copy and paste for 2Q for me.. I have got lists from a few different sites and they are different from each other. so if anyone has a good grammar list for me to get stuck into i'd be happy. I've got the kanji and vocab lists..
    i highly doubt i can pass the test but i think i will still take it.. get a better idea of why lies ahead of me for the next year taking it.
    Karamu, it'd be a really long list.

Are you in Japan? If so get yourself the green Kanken book. It has everything you need to know in more or less list form with examples.

If not wait till you are in Japan and buy it. It's in any bookstore that sells English books.

I've been working with Kanji Box too for the last month or so. Passed 2kyu back in 2006 so obviously going for 1kyu this year. My grammar and listening are well above 1kyu which I know for sure, but my vocab and kanji are still lacking. Which is primarily why I'm using Kanji Box to drill me. Biggest problem for me is that studying is boring, and I always fall asleep at the wheel! :smt009

I have been so lazy. Come Monday I am studying my little bum off.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Karamu, there is an official "Test content specifications" book that is brought out every year by the people who make the test. It won't help you learn, but it lists everything you need for every level - kanji, vocab, grammar and "everyday phrases".
    Costs about 2000 yen from memory.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Pandilex

Narnia, do you really speak 6 languages?

I can speak four ... to varying degrees of proficiency.

I can certainly hold a converation in four langauges?

She's South African. I've never met a saffer who cannot speak a whole swag of languages.

thanks wicket and dombay, guess i'll wait until i get back to japan then. I've got good enough lists to work off for the time being. only another month and a half or so anyway. the test is coming around too quick for me >< oh well, 2009 will definitely be my year for passing 2q, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGowan
    I'm three weeks in the hole and I'm learning to count. What the hell is with all this different numbers depending on what you're counting malarkey? I thought the fuckin alphabets were bad enough, now I have to remember separate groups of numbers?

Ah well, I got the important stuff down: Izakaya wa - doko desu ka?

EDIT: I realise this is somewhat of a non-sequitur to you guys on the JLPT course, but this numbers thing has really irritated me and I need to vent somewhere.
    Vent away. I'm not a beginner, and the numbers thing still pisses me off. You know how there's always one thing that no matter how much you try or how many times you go over it, just will not stay in your brain? That's Japanese counters for me. :evil: Grrr.
    "Pay no attention to the super delegates behind the curtain." - CBS News

Best way to learn them is to not focus on all of them at once. I don't know about other books, but my textbook just introduced a few at a time generally, and they were pretty easy to digest. When in doubt just go for the -tsu's.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SarahJ27
    When in doubt just go for the -tsu's.
    +1. It's perfectly comprehensible, and sometimes the person you're talking to will say it with the proper counter, which you can file away in your memory for next time. I've learned far more about using counters from doing that (or reading stuff in Japanese) than I have from textbooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.