Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: June! Time to start JLPT study!

well that is pretty useless being 2 years away. if it was this december that would be another thing. oh well at least i can sit 2Q in july next year for a second try at it after failing it this december so that change is a positive one!

EDIT: seems there is nowhere to take the test in Kochi. that is shitty! i hope someone can tell me the contrary otherwise i'll have to travel for hours just to take the test.. sigh.

We used to have to travel hours to the middle of bfi Hiroshima ken to take it but then they started holding it in Okayama City which was of course just a huge improvement.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

well if i want to take the test this year it will be a 6000+ yen trip one way, 3.5hrs travel on limited express trains.
    Since i'm probably going to fail 2Q i think i'll be saving the trek for 2009 July test. That gives me a year to study for it i guess.

I'll be taking the 1q in Kyoto this December; so far, I've just been studying kanji using the White Rabbit flashcards, which have probably been the most effective vocabulary builder I've used since I started studying Japanese.

My personal "ocelot" would probably be the slim prospect of a job that doesn't involve junior high school students...

Quote Originally Posted by Jill
    Shit, how's this for the "Learned Something New" thread... they're redesigning the JLPT for 2010? Well, that just killed any desire to try for this year, if people are then going to turn around and say, "Oh, but you haven't passed the new JLPT." Grumble, grumble. But should help the intermediate folks, with a new level between 2 and 3.

http://momo.jpf.go.jp/jlpt/e/info/index.html

Credit to BD for the head's up.
    I don't see how it affects you if you're at 1kyu. The redesign is supposed to even out that nasty jump from 3kyu to 2kyu.

Question though: I have just started with Japanese and I am coming up there in August. I am a language person. I already speak English, French, Spanish and Italian, so Japanese will be my 5th language. Is 4kyu a total waste of time? Somebody told me that 4 and 3 aren't really recognised. I still think I'd like to do 3kyu before I attempt the ever legendary 2, especially I have only ever done Japanese on my own and I am terrified of the listening.

So what think you guys, should I bother with 4kyu or I can I get myself to 3kyu by December?

I think you can do 3kyuu and it will be great practice to see how the test works.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Going to depend on your work situation I think. if your job is really easy then you spend all your time at work studying and off you go. Living in the inaka helps too. Less distraction and less English speakers.

Then maybe 3 kyuu in that amount of time. Even then though I reckon you're going to struggle with it!
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Going to depend on your work situation I think. if your job is really easy then you spend all your time at work studying and off you go. Living in the inaka helps too. Less distraction and less English speakers.

Then maybe 3 kyuu in that amount of time. Even then though I reckon you're going to struggle with it!
    Thanks for the opinions. I am going to Iwate-ken Ichinohe machi, some good old inaka, but apparently not as inaka as they come. lol. So if that's a help I should be able to get all the way to 2kyu- Kidding of course. But I guss I have until September to figure it out, so I'll keep close track of my learninng through August although I guess that will probably not be a true indication b/c the children won't be there part of the time. But I want to make it to 3-kyu.

Any opinions about the CLAIR courses?