Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heisig in 30 days

Pandilex

Default Heisig in 30 days

I've decided to see if I can complete heisig's remembering the kanji from start to finish in 30 days.

Ive always been lazy studying in japan, in fact the only i time i studied was just before the 3 kyuu exam for a couple of months.

Since I want to pass 2 kyuu and im tired of all the random kanjis coming up and shafting me, ive decided to knuckle down and learn all 2000 odd common use kanjis in the heisig book, in 4 weeks, or more precisely, my birthday which is exactly one month from now.

i started a few days ago and i am up to kanji 480. The first 200 id learned ages ago anyway. My goal is to learn around 100 per day, although it depends on my free time.

Today I only had time to learn 65 kanjis, cos i had 2 classes and was pretty knackered. already i put kanjis to many words i already knew which increased my confidence.

anyway i hope that if i succeed then it will perhaps encourage some other language noobies to give it a try.

it is hard to make this comments without getting into a debate on the system but..

i had said in the debate topic that i see this as a good complimentary study tool for learning kanji. the biggest problem i have with it is that i tend to only want it to help me remember some kanji that i don't use often but the stories in the book often suck. the website i think sarah linked to a while ago seems useful though, it has other peoples stories for remembering the characters:
    http://kanji.koohii.com

i'm going to use this for some of those characters i seem to keep forgetting. like the odd characters that aren't used much and have few useful compounds but for some reason are in the jyouyou kanji ><

anyway pandi good luck and i hope you can retain those in your mind long term. i need to learn with vocabulary to make the characters seem meaningful to me, a story is just not enough. hence why i do the flash card and writing out of related vocabulary system. but i think this method can be helpful for me with some characters.

Quote Originally Posted by karumu
    the website i think sarah linked to a while ago seems useful though, it has other peoples stories for remembering the characters:
    http://kanji.koohii.com
    This site is really a godsend. I'd probably be several hundred kanji behind if it weren't for it.

Plus it has an SRS-type flashcard system built into the site, so it's great for reviewing.

Good luck on doing it in 30 days. I'm just trying to get another 450 done (getting me to the end of the first volume) in about 25 days at the moment.

heh Karmaru - we already have an awesome thread debating Heisig's system. It's on the front page of the Japanese forum - look it up and jump into the argument. It's fun.

Good luck Pandi. But Heisig won't help you much for learning JLPT material! You need compounds and readings for the first section and the last section which makes up 300 marks of the 400. It's got nothing to do with the listening which is the remaining 100 either.

And you're a cancer eh? This makes sense I think.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    heh Karmaru - we already have an awesome thread debating Heisig's system. It's on the front page of the Japanese forum - look it up and jump into the argument. It's fun.
    obviosuly i've made a great impression on you, i was part of the discussion in that thread arguing against heisig as a prime method for learning kanji.

obviosuly i've made a great impression on you, i was part of the discussion in that thread arguing against heisig as a prime method for learning kanji.
    Sorry

Make an impression on me now! Where in Australia are you from? How's your Japanese? Are you a new JET? Etc.

Make an impression on me now! Where in Australia are you from? How's your Japanese? Are you a new JET? Etc.
    lol.. i thought having an avatar (as oppossed to none) would make me a little more memorable.. obviously not.. time for me to go and cry in the corner.

Oh i have avatars turned off!

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

I remembered you, karumu!
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Good luck Pandi. But Heisig won't help you much for learning JLPT material! You need compounds and readings for the first section and the last section which makes up 300 marks of the 400. It's got nothing to do with the listening which is the remaining 100 either.

And you're a cancer eh? This makes sense I think.
    Well, after he finishes learning the writing, he still has 5 months to focus on the readings and compounds in Heisig 2 and 3. I don't know if this is enough time but I guess we will see in December.

Good luck Pandi!

Pandilex

heh I dont need heisig 2 or 3 for the exam, I just need to be able to scan the vocab list and learn the vocabulary and kanji for it, something that will be laughably easy if I know all the 2000 kanji already.

Going through all of heisig in 4 weeks is possible. Key word: possible. Personally, my brain is incapable of that speed. I'm good at memorizing stuff. I was doing like 20-40 a day with high retention but after a couple weeks I burned out. I can sustain about half that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    heh I dont need heisig 2 or 3 for the exam, I just need to be able to scan the vocab list and learn the vocabulary and kanji for it, something that will be laughably easy if I know all the 2000 kanji already.
    Dunno mate - i know all of the 2q kanji vocab section i still think is a complete dog.

Pandilex

another assload of kanji brings my total today up to 98 just as the bell tolls for midnight...!

mostly thanks to that site someone posted, which has stories that are far superior to heisigs and my own.

Heisig seems interesting but I can't see how knowing the Kanji by themselves helps on knowing the compounds, which form the backbone of vocab it seems.

Remembering the characters by themselves works with Heisig though from the little time I spent perusing it.

@dombay - you're forgiven then
    @kiwimusume - awww :smt008

@pandi -
    i agree with dombay that it will be a challenge to get it right, with 5000 plus words (6000 officially) and there can always be compounds that are not in the vocab lists. i had some in the 3Q test that i didn't find in the vocab from any list i got.

i think you would be better off focussing on the 1000 kanji in the 2Q and really drilling home the vocab. no need to go and do the other 1000 just yet and no matter how great heisig is at helping you remember your retention will be poorer with higher load.

Pandilex

i think you would be better off focussing on the 1000 kanji in the 2Q and really drilling home the vocab. no need to go and do the other 1000 just yet and no matter how great heisig is at helping you remember your retention will be poorer with higher load.
    this is a myth, it will be if you use brute force, but if you use heisigs method correctly its not true, not to mention most kanji are made up from kanji you learned earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Urthona
    Heisig seems interesting but I can't see how knowing the Kanji by themselves helps on knowing the compounds, which form the backbone of vocab it seems.
    Think of a compound like 'watch' (時計), you have the kanji Time plus Plot. Imaging plotting the course of your day, writing the times for each thing you plotted on doing, and voila you have your compound sorted. That's pretty much the principal I intend to use for it.

anyway, discuss heisig in the other thread, i got another 100 kanji to learn today plus reinforcement of the last few hundred.

this is a myth, it will be if you use brute force, but if you use heisigs method correctly its not true, not to mention most kanji are made up from kanji you learned earlier.
    you're confidence knows no limits, clearly. no point saying anything contrary to your belief because you simply won't accept it.

Pandilex

you're confidence knows no limits, clearly. no point saying anything contrary to your belief because you simply won't accept it.
    Sure I will, if you back it up. Simply saying that recalling them will fade with time doesn't make it true.

Here's an excerpt from the book:

Picture yourself holding a kaleidoscope up to the light as still as possible, trying to fix in memory the particular pattern that the play of light and mirrors and colored stones has created. Chances are you have such an untrained memory for such things that it will take some time; but let us suppose that you succeed after ten or fifteen minutes. You close your eyes, trace the pattern in your head, and then check your image against the original pattern until you are sure you have it remembered. Then someone passes by and jars your elbow. The pattern is lost, and in its place a new jumble appears. Immediately your memory begins to scramble. You set the kaleidoscope aside, sit down, and try to draw what you had just memorized, but to no avail. There is simply nothing left in memory to grab hold of. The kanji are like that. One can sit at one’s desk and drill a half dozen characters for an hour or two, only to discover on the morrow that when something similar is seen, the former memory is erased or hopelessly confused by the new information. Now the odd thing is not that this occurs, but rather that, instead of openly admitting one’s distrust of purely visual memory, one accuses oneself of a poor memory or lack of discipline and keeps on following the same routine.
    Thus,by placing the blame on a poor visual memory, one overlooks the possibility of another form of memory that could handle the task with relative ease: imaginative memory.

edit: The explanation is a bit too drawn out to paste it all in I just found so if you are interested in rebutting my statement, read the introduction for the book first here

obviously the word bias and the works of michael moore mean nothing to you.

also in the heisig debate topic, you nicely ignored the points i made when i responded to you going on the offensive rather than defensive for heisig. you just skipped right over it. all i was doing in this thread was offering you advice before but you greet it with arrogance. i can't be bothered wasting my time anymore. i just feel there is nothing to gain trying to discuss anything with you in meaningful way.