Thread: JR Pass after JET

Default JR Pass after JET

I tried to search this and I couldnt find anything. Sorry if it is in here somewhere.

I will finish on Jet in July and have a friend to visit. She will buy her JR pass in europe and i want her to buy me one too.

I read somewhere that you can change your 3 year visa to a tourist visa after you finish and then you can use the JR pass.

Has anybody done this or know if it will actually work? I dont want to spend 26,000 and not get to use the pass.

from http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en008.html

Refund of Exchange Order or JAPAN RAIL PASS
    An Exchange Order that has not been turned in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS can be returned to the office where it was purchased for a refund, within one year of the date of issue. In such case a handling fee and communication fee will be subtracted from the refund.
    After an Exchange Order is turned in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS, the PASS can be turned in at any JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange office for a refund if this is done berore the starting date for the use of the PASS. (Ten percent of the yen price of the PASS will be charged as a handling fee.)
    No refund can be made for any reason on or after the stamped First Date.
    Also no refund or extension of the validity period can be made in the event of train non-operation, delay, or the like.

So basically its worth a try! It would be so much cheaper if i could have one too when travelling.

I think i will get one and just hope for the best

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I had a friend in Nagasaki-ken who changed her visa to a tourist visa after JET and got her parents to purchase a Japan Rail Pass to send to her.
    It worked fine. So go for it! I may well do the same, but I only have a week after my contract finishes and I want to meet my successor, so could just hang around in Osaka instead.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Thanks

I just hope it wont cause any problems with my pension refund!