Thread: 2008 Sydney JETs

Default 2008 Sydney JETs

A forum to link up the Sydney-siders heading to Japan this July!
    There's about 30 or so of us out there I think (from a quick headcount at the orientation just past!), so jump on the forum bandwagon!
    I'm Sam, got placement in Hokkaido (insert shivers here)
    yes, i can damn well use hashi ok?!

you'd probably have more luck making this an aussie thread. i doubt there are more than 5 sydney people here to keep the conversation rolling.

btw what did you guys have to pay for your orientation? we down here in melb are having ours on the 5th july. i really don't want to go because im missing out on a camping trip for it but i guess it will be good to meet the other melbourne people.

btw are you guys flying out on a Qantas flight around 9pm on the 26th? because we stop in sydney.. i think we are stuck on a domestic flight first but leave on a flight around then from syd.

Quote Originally Posted by karumu
    you'd probably have more luck making this an aussie thread. i doubt there are more than 5 sydney people here to keep the conversation rolling.

btw what did you guys have to pay for your orientation? we down here in melb are having ours on the 5th july. i really don't want to go because im missing out on a camping trip for it but i guess it will be good to meet the other melbourne people.

btw are you guys flying out on a Qantas flight around 9pm on the 26th? because we stop in sydney.. i think we are stuck on a domestic flight first but leave on a flight around then from syd.
    Perhaps, but I was curious to find the Sydney-siders We'll see how it goes!

We didn't have to pay for the orientation (only a contribution towards the dinner afterwards-ours was $20) I really reccommend you go-the information is really useful. You'll also get a whole lot of paperwork (some to fill out and return regarding your flights), and it's also a great networking experience to find other people who'll be living near you. That said, it is of course your call!

We're on the 9.55 from Sydney, so it may be the same flight!

i think i have seen 2 other sydney people on here, that is it. there is the thread that says where applicants were from but newer people have come since then.

our orientation is at a hotel conference room i think from 9-5pm or something.. we are asked to pay like $15-17.

i have already sent in my form for the flight so i guess that is the same thing. as i've lived in japan before and my pred has been really helpful telling me what to expect and i've got in contact with a local surfer who lives right near my future house so i pretty much know what to expect.

but there was a hot girl who interviewed with me.. would be nice to see her again if she got in, hahaha.

yeah i think that would be tghe same flight. we'll have the best part of an entire day to enjoy time around tokyo before our orientation gets started. which is great.

hey samantha!

jason here.... not sure if you remember me from the orientation the other day... my wife alex and i are going to kobe.

didn't get to chat to a whole lot of people on saturday... mostly cause i'm kinda insular and was there with wifey! sorry bout that.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot
    hey samantha!

jason here.... not sure if you remember me from the orientation the other day... my wife alex and i are going to kobe.

didn't get to chat to a whole lot of people on saturday... mostly cause i'm kinda insular and was there with wifey! sorry bout that.
    Hi Jason!

Yes, I remember you, your wife is Alexandra, right? I think you were sitting near us during the leg-cramping session on culture

And I didn't get to chat to everyone, so don't worry-we've still got that dinner before we go to put names and faces together! (Which, if it's anything like our dinner at Akeneya, I won't have to eat until our flight!!)

Glad to hear from you Jason!

The dinner at the Japanese consul general's house was tits last year. Much much better than the 'dinner' at the Australian embassy in Tokyo.

Last year all the JETs (Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Tasmania) got put in a block on the same flight. So, chances are you'll be able to meet a lot of other Aussie jets on the plane. But it's more likely you'll just hang out with people from your city both on the plane and in Tokyo...

On a side note, did they make you sing (and dance) to that ding-dong-genki dipshit song this year?

I was so glad my job ended up being nothing like that!

:smt006
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi
    The dinner at the Japanese consul general's house was tits last year. Much much better than the 'dinner' at the Australian embassy in Tokyo.
    +1

I reckon if you have anything at all better to do in Tokyo you should try and get out of the embassy function. The only mildly important thing there was finding out about the Australia kits that they send out to schools - but you could just ask around in your prefecture to see if someone's already got one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam4Japan
    hey samantha!

Hi Jason!

Yes, I remember you, your wife is Alexandra, right? I think you were sitting near us during the leg-cramping session on culture

And I didn't get to chat to everyone, so don't worry-we've still got that dinner before we go to put names and faces together! (Which, if it's anything like our dinner at Akeneya, I won't have to eat until our flight!!)

Glad to hear from you Jason!
    thats the one! i was trying to hide it at the time, but i didn't sit cross legged at all during that session (as most of the guys did) cause i had a huge rip in my jeans in a rather inconvenient spot!

dinner was awesome hey?! i had comfortably filled up by about the time those big ship things came out, then the plates just kept on coming! was a good night.

Hurray~

Stephanie here. Got placed in Nagasaki. Sam, I think I remember chatting briefly to you before we went into the orientation. If you're who I think you are anyway.

How things have changed.

Back when we did it it was drunken lunch with at the consulate general's place instead of dinner. We didn't pay for anything.

There was much more than 30 of us as well and we flew by ourselves.

Oh well I guess things haven't changed too much.

Good luck kids. Any of you lot coming to Okayama? I'm going to be the only sydney sider left soon ...
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

hey peeps.

Sydney orientation was pretty fun. it was really nice to meet other jets...
    i was mildy worried that it would be full of like creepy nerds trying to pick up jap girls. but everyone i met was really nice.

hey icchan, who were/are you?

heya~
    I was/am Ian .. with the stripey shirt and the bag with buttons.

oh right, we spent the whole dinner together!

was good fun.

i actually wondered this on the day... what were those buttons of?

Hi Ian! And Stephanie! I remember you both

What did you guys think of the orientation?

What are you looking forward to the most?

Hi Ian! And Stephanie! I remember you both

Orientation was great! It was great meeting the other JETs and the slideshows/presentations useful (and entertaining). The day seemed to go by pretty quickly.

I'm looking forward to improving my Japanese by getting involved in the local Japanese community. Joining a sporting club or something... I'm not sure what's available but I'm going to make the most of it!

i actually wondered this on the day... what were those buttons of?
    they are just random buttons that ive found/bought or people have given me over time. i started which i bunch i bought whilst travelling.. but some get lost.. and some new ones get added.

orientation was pretty fun although there was a lot of stuff ive heard before (from my pred and other ppl i know on JET). im probly most anxious about the class preparation part.. so i found that bit most useful for me.

im looking forward to pretty much everything. i find even everyday things like grocery shopping in japan to be quite hilarious. however im not particularly looking forward to the cold.. but i can worry about that in a few months.