Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buying a new computer-desktop or notebook

Banned

Default buying a new computer-desktop or notebook

hey guys, since i don't really own my own computer, i have to make a decision of what to do for Japan. if I buy a notebook, should I buy it here or in Japan? i don't think i would brink my computer anywhere, so i'm thinking desktop right now.

I think it would be an utter pain in the ass to get a desktop to Japan (as much as I'd prefer one over the laptop). Plus, a lot of people seem to bring their computers to work with them...

I would also personally prefer buying one in my home country and bringing it there instead of hunting around Japan for a computer, but I don't know enough about buying them in Japan to really comment on that.
    "Dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions."

Oh God, not another 'buying a computer' thread.

The search button is your friend.
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

as said above there are already enough computer threads, use search first. but since this thread is sure to keep going...

General PC
    If you buy a computer in Japan you will be getting a japanese keyboard and japanese windows. You can simply get hold of a pirated english and install over that solving that problem and get a new keyboard if you don't like the japanese one. (i don't like them)
    Windows Vista can have the language changed to english without reinstalling click here to read

Apple
    The operating system will let you choose the language you wish to use when you first install the system and you can easily change it at any time. Apple computers ordered online or in shop can be with an english or japanese keyboard. it is your choice. So you can be completely japanese free on your computer from the first time you load into your computer.

I would recommend getting a laptop unless you are into PC gaming and want to have some monster desktop gaming setup.

Computers are more expensive in Japan unless you're in a really big city. Basically, buying one here at a good price, with what you need, is a pain in the arse.

Step one: go to apple.com
    Step two: go to the education store, or "buy a mac get a free ipod"
    Step three: enter your school info
    Step four: select $999 macbook
    Step five: buy macbook, buy itouch, send in rebate for itouch
    Congratulations, you've spent just over $1000 on about $1500 worth of technology. Celebrate.

Why would you buy a desktop if you are moving to another country? Why do people even consider this?

Quote Originally Posted by malus
    Congratulations, you've spent just over $1000 on about $1500 worth of technology. Celebrate.
    Step six: your computer dies a day after your one year warranty expires. Get the 3 year extended warranty so at least it will die one day after 3 years. By then your apple will be obsolete.
    Genki?

Japanese keyboards are kind of annoying, though you can get used to them.

I would think you could probably find better deals on computers in your home country since Japanese people aren't as big on computers as a lot of other countries are.

Since PC's are even more stupidly expensive in my home country than Japan, have decided to buy a decent english laptop after I arrive. Seems to be between Dell and PrimePC at the moment.

PrimePC have an excellent english site. However, they don't seem to offer the latest tech on their laptops (looking for an 8800M GTX based system probably - the 8600 stinks).

Dell are markedly better, but priceyish. Also, am not sure if I can order for delivery in Japan off their SA/USA page. Japanese page is...well, in japanese.
    Anyone?

Anyone what? Sounds like you know what you want, and if you want an 8800M GTX laptop you are going to pay for it..

I got myself a Dell XPS 1730, though I didn't opt to upgrade from 8700mgt sli to 8800mgtx sli (it was an extra $700 australian, this plays everything I want and I can upgrade later). It's an awesome system and I got it on a Dell 30% sale which means it came in just over $2k AUD. So, if you decide to go for a Dell, wait for a sale day, they seem to come around in cycles.

As for getting an English Dell delivered in Japan, I wouldn't like your chances, though it's something you should ring them about. They keep parts stored in Sydney for Australia so I imagine they probably have something similar in Japan..

Japanese laptops aren't that complicated (or so much more expensive than the big box stores)

It's just a case of configuring your computer for english. Those that really have no experience with computers, probably shouldn't bother and just get one in America, or one that's already set up with an english OS and keyboard.

Lol. The 'anyone?' was to try and get an answer to the question about delivery in japan answered. Thanks The problem is more with navigating the japanese site tho.

Yeah - I know its gonna cost me, but performance difference is worth it. And with the 9m series on the way, prices should drop a bit soon...

Am gonna mail dell bout the pc. Not too phased about components being eng, just so long as it comes with an english Vista.
    If Prime can do it, I'm pretty sure Dell can.

Quote Originally Posted by Petesmp
    Quote Originally Posted by malus
    Step six: your computer dies a day after your one year warranty expires. Get the 3 year extended warranty so at least it will die one day after 3 years. By then your apple will be obsolete.
    Um, I don't understand if you're trying too hard to bash Apple or what? Because you can't be seriously trying to say "by then your apple will be obsolete." That goes for any piece of consumer electronics you'll ever buy in your entire life. Same for the warranty.

Heh. Found an english MTO site other than Prime (pctokyo).
    Prices are just stupid - like double PrimePC's for same component. Like Incredible Connection in SA essentially.

Dell can do an English pc, but need to do it through their japanese site. So looks like I'm gonna need to either learn to read kata/hiragana pretty damn quick or find a friend who does.

Maybe will just go with PrimePC's dominium laptop and ask them to custom build it with the gtx and a bigger 7200rpm disk.

Anyone have any dealings with Prime? Are they decent?

just go into a second hand shop when you arrive and pick one up for a couple of quid.

Hey!

I'm planning on shipping my desktop over from CA. I think it'll be about 200 for the monitor and desktop (2 boxes) to be sent over.

I'm shipping it cause it's an awesome setup that I built pretty recently and I like it.

and? I like pork pies but you dont see me shipping them over for the sake of it.

A desktop? Really?

A laptop just makes more sense. Especially since theres a good chance you'll be sitting around you office for large chunks of time doing nothing from time to time. You can bring a laptop into the office, you can't lug your desktop into the office.

For instance... my office has no internet. 13 ALTs, no internet, and 3 really old laptops to use. We all bring our laptops into the office during the summer or on breaks to do work, and to entertain ourselves. We even mange to 'borrow' internet from the floor below us...

Think about it. $200 to ship your computer over. $200 to ship it back. Thats $400. Is playing WoW at 60 fps really worth $400? Couldn't you buy a laptop and play WoW at 50 FPS and be just as happy?

Its just really risky shipping a desktop over just so you can play games. A laptop makes much more sense for someone on the move.

I'm personally not a big fan of laptops and find cell phones and other accessories bridging the gap between desktop and mobile computing.

Also, dropping the cash on a new decent laptop versus approx. $200 in immediate costs for the desktop and the desktop seems the better short run cost alternative.