Thread: 2q grammar

Default 2q grammar

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a grammar rut.

I've been using the Kanzen Master grammar books but I just find them really uninspiring and less than helpful for actually recalling information.

Grammar and listening are the two things I need to work on for my second attempt at 2q. My Kanji is very good and I can read very fast and very accurately for the reading bit but I'm looking for something a bit better for grammar!

Any suggestions?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I'm not trying to be a smartarse, Dombay, but the Advanced CLAIR books contain the grammar you need for Level 2.
    I go through them, find a grammar point, then look it up in my Dictionary of Intermediate Grammar (I think it's published by Tuttle, but not sure, sorry - it's at work). Also the exercises on Kikitori-kun force me to work on grammar. And when I read the paper or something like that, I highlight puzzling grammar and look it up or ask someone until I get it and have an example I can use to help me remember it.
    I just wish it didn't take me 1/2 hour to read one page of the paper!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Finished the advanced course! Hooray!

but yea it's a bit hit and miss there.

The advanced course runs the gambit from pre-school not-actual-words-grammar right through to 1q.

Just pace yourself. You've got to get through the information one way or another.

Things to look out with the patterns:
    1) What do they follow? (nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc.)
    2) What forms do they follow? (verb dictionary form, verb stem, negative, etc.)

Good luck!
    do i have to be lost?

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    I'm not trying to be a smartarse, Dombay, but the Advanced CLAIR books contain the grammar you need for Level 2.
    I go through them, find a grammar point, then look it up in my Dictionary of Intermediate Grammar (I think it's published by Tuttle, but not sure, sorry - it's at work).
    It's published by Japan Times...and an Advanced version came out this year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Masta View Post
    It's published by Japan Times...and an Advanced version came out this year too.
    that is awesome.. i'll have to grab that one! i love the other two.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Thanks D_M - I want to pick up a copy before I leave. Some light plane reading on the flight from Melbourne to London, which I'm told is 24 hours. In the air. There ought to be a law against that shit.
    Singapore Airlines, though. Any good?
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I loved Singapore when I flew with them.

Plus there's a nice cactus garden to walk around in in the airport in Singapore.

However if you're flying economy class, especially if it's the Europe from home is going to be torture as I'm sure you know! But Singapore was definitely one of the best economy classes I've been in. Last time I flew from Sydney to Europe it was business class and that was pretty hell-like too. Was seated next to some pacific islands MP who wouldn't shut up the whole flight.

Quote Originally Posted by karumu View Post
    that is awesome.. i'll have to grab that one! i love the other two.
    They really are the best grammar books you can get.

Instead of the Japan Times Dictionaries of Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced Grammar (which are all excellent), why don't you check out a book called どんな時どう使う? It covers grammar ranging from 4-1級, and does a better job than the Kanzen Master book at explaining and giving examples of the grammar. I don't know if I'd say that どんな時どう使う is necessarily better than the Japan Times books, but since it is just one comprehensive book, it makes for a more convenient reference when you need to go beyond the Kanzen Master book.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    Thanks D_M - I want to pick up a copy before I leave. Some light plane reading on the flight from Melbourne to London, which I'm told is 24 hours. In the air. There ought to be a law against that shit.
    Singapore Airlines, though. Any good?
    Singapore Airlines was the awesomeness! Such friendly staff and good planes. The Singapore airport was a mini-holiday in itself.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"