Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First week at a hotel

Default First week at a hotel

So originally I was told by my pred that because our contracts overlapped I'd have to stay with him for a week in the apartment. That was fine with be because it's pretty big and he could show me and around.

Now I get an email today telling me I'll be staying in a ryokan for the first week. Sounds great to me- but is there any chance they are going to try to make me pay for this?

I seem to have remember reading stories about people having to stay in hotels occasionally but are they usually paid for by the CO?

why try? for the sake of a few quid why would you argue? unless you looking to fondle your pred just pay the 30 quid and stay in the hotel - fucking sex pests, its people like you we are trying to cut down on

Doesn't do O-ramas

that sounds like it blows pat...i would just ask if it would be ok to move into your place, surely that would be better since you would be able to just unpack and get settled...unless it's because of double occupancy laws or something i dont see that being a problem

I'll be happy to stay in the ryokan if they pay- I'll at least get my own bed and some meals.

I should have plenty of time even after the first week to unpack and stuff, so that doesn't bother me. But if I have to pay for 7 days of lodging it's going to be tough on the financial situation.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    I'll be happy to stay in the ryokan if they pay- I'll at least get my own bed and some meals.

I should have plenty of time even after the first week to unpack and stuff, so that doesn't bother me. But if I have to pay for 7 days of lodging it's going to be tough on the financial situation.
    I hope you luck out, it said right in my contract that if I was in the same situation, I would have to pay the hotel fees. I actually AM in the same situation, but I'm staying with my pred until he leaves. It's a good sized apartment.

Good luck!
    "...There was Kirk going, “Scotty, we need warp factor 9 in five seconds, or we’re toast!” And he goes, “I can give you 30 miles an hour in a week, Captain, how about that?” ~Eddie Izzard

http://anruiukimi.livejournal.com

Hm.. my contract says nothing regarding this. It does mention some sort of "housing allowance" but I don't know if this applies to this situation.

If they make me pay I'm just going to politely request I share the apartment.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!
    "...There was Kirk going, “Scotty, we need warp factor 9 in five seconds, or we’re toast!” And he goes, “I can give you 30 miles an hour in a week, Captain, how about that?” ~Eddie Izzard

I just found out that I'm staying in a hotel my first night (after the obligatory enkai). No reason for it, since my house has two rooms, and my pred is staying with another ALT anyway but...

Ah well. Whateva. Pretty sure I'm not paying for it, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.
    "And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
    -Albus PWB Dumbledore

...gimme a break.

That is one of the odd parts about the JET programme. The new JET arrives before the contract officially runs out on the old JET.

If the BOE is anal about following all the rules exactly, or the old JET doesn't want to leave until the very last day, or there is some circumstance keeping him there, then yes, there will be overlap.

I can totally see this happening with me because I came in group C. If somebody were to replace me from group A, then there will be almost a month of overlap until my contract officially expires.

Quote Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
    That is one of the odd parts about the JET programme. The new JET arrives before the contract officially runs out on the old JET.

If the BOE is anal about following all the rules exactly, or the old JET doesn't want to leave until the very last day, or there is some circumstance keeping him there, then yes, there will be overlap.

I can totally see this happening with me because I came in group C. If somebody were to replace me from group A, then there will be almost a month of overlap until my contract officially expires.
    Is the actual date written on your contract a year from the date you started? I know that we had a girl in my town last year (before I came), who was with Group C, but was out before Group A even arrived. I don't know if that was personal choice on her part, our BOE driving her out of her apartment early, or if because her actual contract was not for a full year. It would make it really awkward for schools if they had to keep someone a full year in the case of those who got upgraded and sent over well into the fall/winter term. Unless those COs then become stuck on a Group C "schedule."

With my situation, I'm group A, my pred is group B. So not too much of an overlap. But it's great he will be there to show me around a little bit.

Yeah same here. Not sure why he is staying so late. Either the BOE is anal or (more likely) he just wants to stay as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Is the actual date written on your contract a year from the date you started? I know that we had a girl in my town last year (before I came), who was with Group C, but was out before Group A even arrived. I don't know if that was personal choice on her part, our BOE driving her out of her apartment early, or if because her actual contract was not for a full year. It would make it really awkward for schools if they had to keep someone a full year in the case of those who got upgraded and sent over well into the fall/winter term. Unless those COs then become stuck on a Group C "schedule."

I was wondering this, as well...is the contract from arrival in Tokyo until the exact date the following year or what?

Group C contracts are shorter.

It's all at the CLAIR website. If you can stay away through it.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Oh geez patjs. That really sucks. I hope things work out for the best. Think positive thoughts.

You probably won't have to pay, and if you do, you can ask the official when you meet him (99% its a him). If they say you do, you aren't under an obligation to stay there. Just insist on staying in the apartment.

My guess for what will happen is they'll make you pay for it first, but you'll get re-imbursed in your next paycheck.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Thank you for a real answer Timoshi!!

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Thank you for a real answer Timoshi!!

Awww, I gave you a real answer too!

But hopefully you can just stay with your pred, instead on blowing money you'll need on a hotel room.

Sorry, I know you did. But like I said, my contract doesn't say anything about this situation so there is a chance they could pay.

I guess I meant I wanted at least one veteran JET to chime in if they've heard of this situation in the past.

Just an update- looks like this will be paid for by the BOE.

Pred has visitors near when I arrive and won't be ready for an extra person so they're putting me up in a hotel. Now I'm looking forward to it