Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First week at a hotel

I just got an e-mail from my predecessor saying that she'll still be around for a week and the BOE is trying to figure out what to do. There are other empty apartments in the building but they don't want to open up billing for utilities for one week (why they don't just have me occupy one of the empty apartments permanently is another question) and since my predecessor is female and I'm male, they don't want us staying in the apartment together. So it looks like I'll be spending my first week in a hotel or ryokan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PC812 View Post
    ...and since my predecessor is female and I'm male, they don't want us staying in the apartment together. So it looks like I'll be spending my first week in a hotel or ryokan as well.
    Hahaha, my school didn't give a crap that my pred is male and I am female. Of course, he lives there with his partner, so I don't think they even thought about it.

patjs- It's great that they are paying for it. Sounds like fun!
    "...There was Kirk going, “Scotty, we need warp factor 9 in five seconds, or we’re toast!” And he goes, “I can give you 30 miles an hour in a week, Captain, how about that?” ~Eddie Izzard

http://anruiukimi.livejournal.com

Default Re: First week at a hotel

Necromancy.

So I have the opposite of this situation. My BOE's trying to kick me out of my apartment a week early so my successor can move in right away. Thoughts?

Whose name is on the contract?

are they giving you paid leave and letting you go early or are they expecting you to go to work for a week while all your stuff is sat out in the carpark?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Whose name is on the contract?
    That's a great question, I've never even seen a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    are they giving you paid leave and letting you go early or are they expecting you to go to work for a week while all your stuff is sat out in the carpark?
    Another great question. My supervisor is clueless (new from April), and I think he just wants me to magically disappear so that everything can go smoothly for the new ALT. I told him I have 9 days in the office but only 6 days left of nenkyuu, and he just kind of stared at me uncomprehendingly.

So, you're both going to be at work at the same time? That's weird. My pred was nowhere to be seen by the time I got there.

So, you're both going to be at work at the same time? That's weird. My pred was nowhere to be seen by the time I got there.
    2 ALTs, 1 desk, no work.
    And one of those ALTs will be living in the parking lot.
    I'm really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    2 ALTs, 1 desk
    worst viral video eva
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

"Can I use the computer? I wanna vlog."

"Can't you see I'm already vlogging? I'm comparing saitama to a ghibli film."

"But I wanna bitch about microaggressions!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    "Can I use the computer? I wanna vlog."

"Can't you see I'm already vlogging? I'm comparing saitama to a ghibli film."

"But I wanna bitch about microaggressions!"
    Like we could vlog on that 500 year old computer that can barely open Microsoft Word.

Well, find out who actually is the tenant, if it's you, your school better find somewhere else for newbie to stay. If it's your school or the BoE then better prepare to move out or at least share the place.

My pred and my contract overlapped by about a week, too. When I got here, they put me in temporary housing. We would have both been at work at the same time, because he was also out of nenkyuu, but he just so happened to come down with a severe case of the flu that kept him out all week. It was so bad that he couldn't do anything but stay at home and pack up (oh and occasionally visit his girlfriend)! What a coincidence, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Well, find out who actually is the tenant, if it's you, your school better find somewhere else for newbie to stay. If it's your school or the BoE then better prepare to move out or at least share the place.
    Thanks for the advice, here's hoping it's me.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    My pred and my contract overlapped by about a week, too. When I got here, they put me in temporary housing. We would have both been at work at the same time, because he was also out of nenkyuu, but he just so happened to come down with a severe case of the flu that kept him out all week. It was so bad that he couldn't do anything but stay at home and pack up (oh and occasionally visit his girlfriend)! What a coincidence, eh?
    What a coincidence, I think I might be coming down with that same flu. Cough cough.

My pred is pretty famous around here for coming BACK a few months after his contract ended and camped in 1) school baseball fields until they kicked him out, 2) an ALT's backyard until she kicked him out, and then 3) in a garage when he went to the BOE and begged them for a place to stay for two weeks.

Why? Yeah, that's the question.

Sounds fairly standard for a JET.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    My pred is pretty famous around here for coming BACK a few months after his contract ended and camped in 1) school baseball fields until they kicked him out, 2) an ALT's backyard until she kicked him out, and then 3) in a garage when he went to the BOE and begged them for a place to stay for two weeks.

Why? Yeah, that's the question.
    Round my prefecture that would have been considered too dignified.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Meh, you're on your way out so I wouldn't worry about the nenkyuu thing either to be honest. Fuck off more, don't die, and noone will give a shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I thought I'd update on my situation for anyone else going through this/will be going through it in the future.

I basically won the right to stay in my apartment by making my BOE contact the JET Programme (I don't even know what that means, but apparently they found someone to contact). The person my BOE spoke to said that they should put the new ALT up in a hotel or offer them a homestay until I moved out.

But the hilarity of my BOE continues, as my supervisor has asked me if my successor can live with me in the apartment until I move. The disbelieving look in his eyes when I said no... There has been no budget set aside for a hotel stay, so the only option is a homestay. You know, because it's impossible to change the budget. Welcome to Japan, my successor.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

It's impossible to change the budget lol.

More like it's too much trouble to plan ahead accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.