Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what does AEON look for?

Default what does AEON look for?

could someone fill me in on how to get hired by AEON?

what makes a person qualified, overqualified? what exactly are they looking for?

whats the likelihood of getting a placement request in tokyo or osaka?

i did JET for a year. many things about it i didnt care for and it seems like one of the lesser-'evil' eikaiwas would be better suited for me.

advice?

When I interviewed with them in February, they were looking for people to go to Osaka and Tokyo, so you should be in luck.

There's a model lesson plan during the interview (which is really long, by the way); they'll give you the supplies you need, so all you have to do is be the crazy foreign clown.

There's also a 100-question grammar test at the end. Here's how it goes:

1-75 = easy
    76-90 = Super hard, unless you were an English or linguistics major (luckily, we had both in the interview room, and they were nice enough to share their answers)
    91-100 = easy again.

Just make sure you're keen to use AEON's teaching methods. They don't like people who think for themselves

You also have the option of doing a small, private eikaiwa. No matter who you work for (JET, Interac, AEON, etc.) ESID anyway!

With a year experience wouldn't it be better to look for something that's not AEON?

I think there are smaller companies that will pay you better and probably not focus so much on sales.

AEON is looking for...a pulse!

I don't think you'd have much problem getting hired by them unless they're just full up on people.

I agree with pajts, look for smaller companies who pay better.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! DecayConstant's Avatar

From what I hear, they're looking for salemen/women in the classroom. It really turned off a friend of mine who applied there.
    Sometimes it takes a pot to call a kettle black.

maybe i shouldn't broadcast this, but i interviewed with AEON and didn't even make it past the group stage before being accepted by JET a couple of months later.

i've got no idea what they're looking for - certainly not a personality.

Doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by ten_of_spades View Post
    When I interviewed with them in February, they were looking for people to go to Osaka and Tokyo, so you should be in luck.

There's a model lesson plan during the interview (which is really long, by the way); they'll give you the supplies you need, so all you have to do is be the crazy foreign clown.

There's also a 100-question grammar test at the end. Here's how it goes:

1-75 = easy
    76-90 = Super hard, unless you were an English or linguistics major (luckily, we had both in the interview room, and they were nice enough to share their answers)
    91-100 = easy again.

Just make sure you're keen to use AEON's teaching methods. They don't like people who think for themselves
    What the hell are you talking about, when I interviewed with them in April it wasn't like that at all.

There was a grammar test at the end of the group interview that was one page both sides, very easy, and we had to do a demo lesson lasting 5 minutes of our own choosing.

I dont see why you think AEON is the way forward when you couldnt handle JET.
    I blended in with the Asian drivers by weaving through the wrong lane on my cell phone to park clumsily across three spaces. I could tell from the chittering noises they were making that if they were able to talk, they'd be telling me that we are now considered brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Flashman View Post
    I dont see why you think AEON is the way forward when you couldnt handle JET.
    couldnt "handle" JET?

or rather, i didnt want to live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with next to nothing to do most days. nor did i enjoy getting up at 5:30 in the morning to make the 1 hour commute one way to my schools so that i could have the pleasure of sitting at a desk all day doing absolutely nothing. add to that the fact that the schools are too poor to be insulated and also lack proper heat and air conditioning - its like living in a third world country.

i'll gladly work for a more business-oriented english teaching company if it means i get to live in a major city, i dont have to wake up at the crack of dawn, i dont have to commute 20 miles everyday, i actually get to talk to other human beings, and i get to be inside of a building that actually tries to comfort its students with normal, sane environmental conditions including heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. heaven forbid! what horror!

being an english teaching drone is not glamorous no matter who you are with, including JET. but frankly, certain eikaiwa scenarios certainly have quite a few positive points that very well have certain JET scenarios beat. unless you truly enjoy isolation.

(YES, i am aware there are osaka JETs, and yes, i am aware that many people hate eikaiwas and quit.)

Quote Originally Posted by ext23 View Post
    maybe i shouldn't broadcast this, but i interviewed with AEON and didn't even make it past the group stage before being accepted by JET a couple of months later.

i've got no idea what they're looking for - certainly not a personality.
    I've heard of this before from someone who interviewed with NOVA. I guess the world is just one big ESID.
    Genki?

Quote Originally Posted by ED209 View Post
    add to that the fact that the schools are too poor to be insulated and also lack proper heat and air conditioning - its like living in a third world country.
    Inaka isn't glamorous but it certainly isn't third world.

Did your schools really have absoulutely no heating or cooling at all or you just another spoiled American who can't handle being slightly uncomfortable without central heating/cooling?

Doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post

Did your schools really have absoulutely no heating or cooling at all or you just another spoiled American who can't handle being slightly uncomfortable without central heating/cooling?
    In this day and age though, and with the cheapness of the technology, there really is no excuse for a first world nation not to have such basic environmental controls.

I'm currently typing this from an 86* office because for god knows what reason they didnt turn the AC on today

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    In this day and age though, and with the cheapness of the technology, there really is no excuse for a first world nation not to have such basic environmental controls.

I'm currently typing this from an 86* office because for god knows what reason they didnt turn the AC on today
    Agreed.

and to PATJS: its more than being "slightly uncomfortable". its being drenched in sweat within 15 minutes of leaving my house. its wishing i could take a shower every single hour. its being permanently coated in layers and layers of sweat for the 10 hours from when i leave my house in the morning until i get home. its getting heat rashes and acne because of the amount of grime and filth that accumulates both on my body and in the staff room itself from the 90 degree and 90% humidity teaching conditions due to the horribly unventilated and non-temperature controlled cheap-ass buildings.

living and working in a temperature controlled environment should not be considering being "spoiled." its the 21st century and japan is not a third world country.
    Official Mystical Gatekeeper of the JET experience

I don't know then maybe your area is much worse than here in the summer. yeah it sucks getting sweaty but even my small town has teachers rooms with AC. they don't turn it on very high but its on. I just kind of adjusted I guess...

I agree it's about time Japan learned how to temperature control buildings but I still cannot help but be kind of shocked there are so many Americans who come over here and bitch and moan about the temperature. Grow a pair or go home but for christs sake quit crying about it.

Doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by frankdux View Post
    its getting heat rashes
    yeah the first week i was here without AC i started getting that at about the five day mark on my upper arms, fuck that was gross shit

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    I agree it's about time Japan learned how to temperature control buildings but I still cannot help but be kind of shocked there are so many Americans who come over here and bitch and moan about the temperature. Grow a pair or go home but for christs sake quit crying about it.
    +100

Agreed. I can't say that it's the most fun thing in the world but it's called adjusting. All the problems you're having are being shared by several million other people throughout the country here and they're not complaining about it nearly so much as the foreigners do. Most Japanese will just look at each other, nod and say maybe "Atsui desu ne," wipe off with a handkerchief and get on with life.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

It's called the Kyoto protocol.
    The one your government won't sign.
    For god's sake, let your body adjust to the outside temperature and stop whinging.
    I really am starting to think a lot of Americans are quite spoiled.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiro View Post
    +100

Agreed. I can't say that it's the most fun thing in the world but it's called adjusting. All the problems you're having are being shared by several million other people throughout the country here and they're not complaining about it nearly so much as the foreigners do. Most Japanese will just look at each other, nod and say maybe "Atsui desu ne," wipe off with a handkerchief and get on with life.

FALSE. japanese are born there. they grew up under those conditions. additionally, asians do not sweat like caucasians. need proof? try their deodorant. it does nothing! why? because it is for japs - they dont sweat. for them, it is their lifestyle, plain and simple. its not a problem, its their seasons and thats all that they know.

someone who comes from (and grew up in) a significantly less humid environment will not adapt overnight, over the week, over a season, or even over a single year.

there is no cure for aggressive sweating (that is unrelated to obesity or anxiety). NONE. ask a dermatologist. i'll bet you a month's pay. there is no such thing as "getting used to sweating profusely." if you're a sweater, then you're a sweater and you will be a sweater until you return to a less sweaty environment.
    Official Mystical Gatekeeper of the JET experience

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Quote Originally Posted by frankdux View Post
    FALSE. japanese are born there. they grew up under those conditions. additionally, asians do not sweat like caucasians. need proof? try their deodorant. it does nothing! why? because it is for japs - they dont sweat. for them, it is their lifestyle, plain and simple. its not a problem, its their seasons and thats all that they know.

someone who comes from (and grew up in) a significantly less humid environment will not adapt overnight, over the week, over a season, or even over a single year.

there is no cure for aggressive sweating (that is unrelated to obesity or anxiety). NONE. ask a dermatologist. i'll bet you a month's pay. there is no such thing as "getting used to sweating profusely." if you're a sweater, then you're a sweater and you will be a sweater until you return to a less sweaty environment.
    Goddamn do you sound like a whiner. As an American, I'd like to prove that not all of us are whiners. I'm from a state that's not very humid, and I've learnt to get used to how bad the summers can get here and I don't bitch and moan about it.