Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: what does AEON look for?

  1. #21
    Senior Member frankdux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    It's called the Kyoto protocol.
    The one your government won't sign.
    For god's sake, let your body adjust to the outside temperature and stop whinging.
    I really am starting to think a lot of Americans are quite spoiled.
    actually, japanophiles would rather complain about non-japs then anything about japan.

    insulated, temperature controlled buildings in a non-third world country is not 'spoiled' at all. jap schools are clearly underfunded, plain and simple. how is that NOT a legitimate complaint? this isn't the 17th century. no one should have to wear a winter jacket inside work all day long.

    there are laws in america about public buildings and apartment complexes having a minimum temperature in the winter and a maximum temperatue in the summer. why do these laws exist? for our own safety and health.

    (you could argue that japs have higher lifespans, but thats most likely due to diet. then again you could also argue that japan's population is on a decline - possibly due to the incredibly obvious modern conveniences other countries have to offer.)
    Official Mystical Gatekeeper of the JET experience

  2. #22
    Negi-sensei Oneiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Saitama, Japan
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankdux View Post
    actually, japanophiles would rather complain about non-japs then anything about japan.
    Okay, so people are saying that they can get used to way things are done over here and get used to life over here and you play the LOL JAPANOPHILE card.

    Yes, the schools are underfunded. Woefully so. Unfortunately, we as JETs are unlikely to change the way things are done and we have two options: adjust or put up with it until the contract expires and you leave.

    I don't mean to sound like a nazi, just that, let's face it, when applying to JET, it's safe to assume that we are A) Articulate in our language, B) Smart and well-off enough to get a BA (thus able to do simple research on papers) and C) determined enough to wait six fucking months to find out if you even get a fucking job abroad. I've said it once I've said again: no one forced us to come to Japan.

    It's easy enough to, with all the time they give you between interviews, acceptance and ultimate departure, to research JET in quite some depth and make sure this is what you really want. Even JETs who like it make no secret of the fact that there's a very good chance you'll wind
    up in some backroad with people who don't speak your language and, yes, have no A/C in the humid turgid summer with ZOMG THOSE HORRIBLE NOISY CICADAS humming all the while. Google harder.

    That being said, we do have the basic right to be treated with a modicum of respect and decency. The A/C just doesn't happen to be one of those and ranting at length about how backwards it is that those zany Japs just can't bend over for whitey is ridiculous.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankdux View Post
    FALSE. japanese are born there. they grew up under those conditions. additionally, asians do not sweat like caucasians. need proof? try their deodorant. it does nothing! why? because it is for japs - they dont sweat. for them, it is their lifestyle, plain and simple. its not a problem, its their seasons and thats all that they know.

    someone who comes from (and grew up in) a significantly less humid environment will not adapt overnight, over the week, over a season, or even over a single year.

    there is no cure for aggressive sweating (that is unrelated to obesity or anxiety). NONE. ask a dermatologist. i'll bet you a month's pay. there is no such thing as "getting used to sweating profusely." if you're a sweater, then you're a sweater and you will be a sweater until you return to a less sweaty environment.
    Sucks for you?

    You come from Chicago don't you? I come from there too and I've been here about 4 weeks and I'm fine.

    And what are you talking about this Asian/Caucasian sweating? I have a teacher who literally drips sweat all over his desk just from making the trip up and down the hallway. Last time I checked he's not caucasian.

    Even my pred, who was also American, would not even use the AC when I got here. He would just walk around sweaty all day and didn't notice until I asked why he didn't turn on a fan or something.

  4. #24
    Senior Member frankdux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Sucks for you?

    You come from Chicago don't you? I come from there too and I've been here about 4 weeks and I'm fine.
    congratulations. you're a woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    And what are you talking about this Asian/Caucasian sweating? I have a teacher who literally drips sweat all over his desk just from making the trip up and down the hallway. Last time I checked he's not caucasian.
    there's always an exception to the rule. at my school there was also one big, tall guy who was sweaty a lot, kinda like me. but every other guy in the office didnt come close to dripping in sweat like i did every day all summer.

    Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Even my pred, who was also American, would not even use the AC when I got here. He would just walk around sweaty all day and didn't notice until I asked why he didn't turn on a fan or something.
    yeah, he was sweaty all day. like i said. you dont get used to it. you dont stop sweating. if you choose to ignore the fact you are a sweaty, smelly mess, then thats up to you.
    Official Mystical Gatekeeper of the JET experience

  5. #25
    Senior Member Urthona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ishikawa
    Posts
    1,307

    Default

    Frankdux. You clearly hated the JET programme while in Japan and I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you left Japan for the US or elsewhere, right? This raises the question of why you are still posting here. Does your life suck that much thta you need to continually bitch about JET?

    Yes, the weather is humid but even an AC set to 28C is more than enough to keep me cool enough. You must have the inability to live in any weather less than 65F and higher than 75F. Quit your goddman bitching and act like a grown man.

  6. #26
    Senior Member frankdux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Urthona View Post
    Does your life suck that much thta you need to continually bitch about JET?
    yes. yes it does.
    Official Mystical Gatekeeper of the JET experience

  7. #27
    Resident ewok wicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina
    Posts
    8,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankdux View Post
    actually, japanophiles would rather complain about non-japs then anything about japan.

    insulated, temperature controlled buildings in a non-third world country is not 'spoiled' at all. jap schools are clearly underfunded, plain and simple. how is that NOT a legitimate complaint? this isn't the 17th century. no one should have to wear a winter jacket inside work all day long.

    there are laws in america about public buildings and apartment complexes having a minimum temperature in the winter and a maximum temperatue in the summer. why do these laws exist? for our own safety and health.

    (you could argue that japs have higher lifespans, but thats most likely due to diet. then again you could also argue that japan's population is on a decline - possibly due to the incredibly obvious modern conveniences other countries have to offer.)
    Yes, well, pity there aren't laws there about maintaining the health of the planet for future generations by being just that little bit less "comfortable" in weather extremes.
    You spoilt whinger.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom (England)
    Posts
    524

    Default

    I moved to a hot country and it's hot! How dare they! Then it got cold, and I had to wear extra clothes! I'd rather spend a year in Guantanamo than be abused like this.

  9. #29
    Senior Member frankdux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    Yes, well, pity there aren't laws there about maintaining the health of the planet for future generations by being just that little bit less "comfortable" in weather extremes.
    You spoilt whinger.
    you think japs dont have central heat and central air because of concerns about global warming? you think jap schools restrict their use of heat and air because of global warming concerns?

    idiot. its MONEY. its UNDERFUNDING. its a SHITHOLE SCHOOL SYSTEM and shithole building architecture.

    and if global warming were the cause, then that would imply that schools at one time DID have those things (before the idea of global warming was even a concern) and then decided to get rid of them. clearly WRONG.

    i wonder if japs even know what central hear and air are?


    if you want to argue about going green and other environmental bullshit, you should be promoting alternative fuel sources, not simply saying people should turn down the heat and air conditioning. why? because the world's population grows exponentially. everyone turning down the AC 2 degrees wont combat the rise in population and additional energy costs required for those extra hundreds of millions of people born every year. finding a better source of fuel, logistics wise, makes infinite more sense than trying to tell people how to live their lives.
    Official Mystical Gatekeeper of the JET experience

  10. #30
    Resident ewok wicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina
    Posts
    8,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankdux View Post
    you think japs dont have central heat and central air because of concerns about global warming? you think jap schools restrict their use of heat and air because of global warming concerns?

    idiot. its MONEY. its UNDERFUNDING. its a SHITHOLE SCHOOL SYSTEM and shithole building architecture.

    makes infinite more sense than trying to tell people how to live their lives.
    I think Japan signed off on the Kyoto protocol, which means they have an obligation not to make things worse by unecessarily heating or cooling buildings. 27 degrees is a comfortable working temperature - I'm willing to bet I'm a lot fatter than you and I managed.

    Calling someone an idiot isn't much of a way to win a debate.

    All schools. Everywhere. If they are government ones. Are underfunded. Where the fuck did you work? I'm starting to wonder if you've ever actually worked in a real school! The school I worked at in Australia had faulty heating and no airconditioning in most classrooms. The one I'm working at in England has shitty tables and chairs for the students, terrible books and class sizes of 32, but the staffroom has just been refurbished and they have a brand new all-weather pitch. I know where I would have preferred the money to have gone.

    You're telling me not to tell people how to live their lives?
    If I look up Franksux in the dictionary does it just read "hypocrite"?
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

  11. #31
    Senior Member frankdux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    I think Japan signed off on the Kyoto protocol, which means they have an obligation not to make things worse by unecessarily heating or cooling buildings. 27 degrees is a comfortable working temperature - I'm willing to bet I'm a lot fatter than you and I managed.
    as i said before, concerns over global warming (i.e. the kyoto protocol) is NOT what is setting the financial 'ceiling' for public schools. it is lack of funding. if it was global warming that has suddenly curbed the use of central heat and air, then WHERE is the central heating and air conditioning? it would cost more to remove the units then simply not use them. so where are these units?

    i'm not sure what planet you live on, but here on earth 27 degrees (80 F) combined with 70% - 100% humidity isnt even close to what is considered 'room temperature'. just google 'room temperature' and an everlasting supply of information exists to prove you wrong on that one.



    All schools. Everywhere. If they are government ones. Are underfunded.
    nope. not the schools i did my clinical observations hours at, nor the school i student-taught at, nor the schools i substitute taught at. all had central heat and air. during the winter the heat was on, and during the summer the air was on. i can't recall a single instant when students were complaining about the climate conditions inside of the school, nor were students ever wearing winter jackets all day long inside the school, or sweating profusely during the warmer months.

    the american school system gets a bad rep because of all of the INNER CITY and RURAL schools that are indeed underfunded. but the suburban school system in most states in america are the MODEL of school systems everywhere. even the jap teachers at my schools on JET told me how they wanted to model their school system after america.

    hell, even shithole inner city schools in downtown chicago AT LEAST have central heat during the winter. not having heat would be illegal, because in america there are laws about temperature limits inside of public and government buildlings.

    The school I worked at in Australia had faulty heating and no airconditioning in most classrooms. The one I'm working at in England has shitty tables and chairs for the students, terrible books and class sizes of 32, but the staffroom has just been refurbished and they have a brand new all-weather pitch. I know where I would have preferred the money to have gone.
    Australia sucks? England sucks?

    If I look up Franksux in the dictionary does it just read "hypocrite"?
    thats interesting, because there's nothing untruthful in anything i said.
    Last edited by frankdux; September 12th, 2008 at 01:19.
    Official Mystical Gatekeeper of the JET experience

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom (England)
    Posts
    524

    Default

    I don't think a lack of air con in Japanese schools has anything to do with environmental concerns, but at the same time that doesn't make it irrelevant. Saying "well there are loads of people being born and using energy, so what's the point in me cutting back?" is nonsensical. If you use 5% less energy, that's still 5% of that energy saved, no matter what other people are doing. It's the people that do cut back that you'll have to thanks for giving us a few days, weeks or months of extra energy when it does run out.

    It sounds like you've been to a few privileged schools in a privileged part of the world, and you just can't cope with anything less. You can't see the luxuries in your lifestyle as luxuries. They're just basic necessities as far as you're concerned. Anywhere you can't get them may as well be the third world. Which is strange, because if you'd asked me to describe the third world, I would have said something like: the vast majority of people living in absolute poverty, on less than a dollar a day, living in a village with no water in a three mile radius, or a shanty town with excrement flowing through the streets, where the children often have rickets through malnutrition, and they're the lucky ones because the others are blind, diseased or dead, because what little water they can find is full of bacteria and viruses, a place where you can't find a town without a substantial population of HIV sufferers because they can't afford concraception and the doctors are so poorly equipped that they can't sterilise their tools. But apparently no, the correct definition is: hot with no air conditioning.

    Grow up you crying little baby.

  13. #33
    Senior Member frankdux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    I don't think a lack of air con in Japanese schools has anything to do with environmental concerns, but at the same time that doesn't make it irrelevant. Saying "well there are loads of people being born and using energy, so what's the point in me cutting back?" is nonsensical. If you use 5% less energy, that's still 5% of that energy saved, no matter what other people are doing. It's the people that do cut back that you'll have to thanks for giving us a few days, weeks or months of extra energy when it does run out.
    which is why i said its more worthwhile to put your effort into renewable energy sources such as wind power, solar power, and hydro electricity. of course, we shouldn't be wasteful with energy. but the goal here is to be dependent on nothing but renewable energy, not to be thrifty while relying on limited natural resources.

    It sounds like you've been to a few privileged schools in a privileged part of the world, and you just can't cope with anything less. You can't see the luxuries in your lifestyle as luxuries. They're just basic necessities as far as you're concerned. Anywhere you can't get them may as well be the third world. Which is strange, because if you'd asked me to describe the third world, I would have said something like: the vast majority of people living in absolute poverty, on less than a dollar a day, living in a village with no water in a three mile radius, or a shanty town with excrement flowing through the streets, where the children often have rickets through malnutrition, and they're the lucky ones because the others are blind, diseased or dead, because what little water they can find is full of bacteria and viruses, a place where you can't find a town without a substantial population of HIV sufferers because they can't afford concraception and the doctors are so poorly equipped that they can't sterilise their tools. But apparently no, the correct definition is: hot with no air conditioning.

    Grow up you crying little baby.


    perhaps my third-world comment was a bit extreme.

    but you claim i dont have the right to complain because others have it even worse? by that logic no one on earth has the right to complain.

    i'm merely addressing the absurdities of a country having a reputation for being so advanced.

    additionally, where does it say that your scale of what qualifies as 'privileged' and what qualifies as 'extreme poverty' is the DEFINITION of these terms? shouldn't an indoor temperature controlled environment be something that everyone would deem to be sane and conducive to a healthy lifestyle? sleeping in 95 degree weather with 100% humidity (or in freezing temperatures during winter) is NOT healthy. there's no getting around that. you can't possibly argue that that is a healthy condition for anyone. to control the temperature inside a room would be for the benefit of your own health - it should not be considered 'privileged' just because not everyone has it. does having a polio vaccination make you 'privileged'? no. you are merely more fortunate than others to be born in a location and under such conditions where polio vaccinations are neither scarce nor expensive.

    i would consider 'privileged' to mean having things far beyond reasonable necessity as the result of minimal effort. born into riches, having maids cook your food, having a limo drive you around town, being waited on hand and foot, shopping for diamonds, etc.
    Last edited by frankdux; September 12th, 2008 at 03:25.
    Official Mystical Gatekeeper of the JET experience

  14. #34
    Resident ewok wicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina
    Posts
    8,524

    Default

    Frank mate, take a hint.
    You sound like a snobby whiney brat.
    Grow up.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

  15. #35
    Senior Member frankdux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    i'll "grow up" if you promise never again to:

    1. mention your teaching credentials
    2. mention your publications
    3. use examples of things that have happened to you as a case to trump all other cases
    4. quote any of my posts
    5. write my name or refer to me in any more of your posts
    Official Mystical Gatekeeper of the JET experience

  16. #36
    Resident ewok wicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina
    Posts
    8,524

    Default

    Frank, think back. You were the one who started it by mentioning your credentials as "proof" that qualified teachers could not and would not enjoy being on JET.

    I've never used examples of my experiences to trump you, only to provide a balance so that other people can see both sides of the argument and make up their own mind. Don't be so paranoid.

    Why would I stop quoting or mentioning you when you provide me with such entertainment and are so easily riled? I need a laugh as much as anyone.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

  17. #37
    Senior Member frankdux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    whats most amusing is how you feel the need to respond. who's riled?
    Official Mystical Gatekeeper of the JET experience

  18. #38
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,889

    Default

    Having you people got jobs? Fuck off you sad cunts, nobody cares about you anymore.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom (England)
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankdux View Post
    it should not be considered 'privileged' just because not everyone has it.
    Isn't that precisely what privilege is? Having something that few others have? I was trying to look at it from the most general perspective. The vast majority of the earth's population do not have climate control, and an awful lot of those people live in hot places. So to have it is a privilege in terms of the world as a whole, even if it's unthinkable to be without it in your part of the world. The same is true of a polio vaccinations. I'm lucky enough to be born into a wealthy country that can afford to vaccinate me against all sorts of things. Most people aren't. But I wouldn't move to Mozambique and complain that I'm not getting my annual shots or something.

    My earlier post was a bit harsh, so sorry about that, but I do think you're being incredibly naive as to how most of the world live. Yep, it would be great if we could all be exactly the temperature we wanted 365 days a year, but that costs money, and most of the world can't afford it.

    I'm not saying you don't have the 'right' to complain, just that it's a bit over the top. Most people would say "wow it's hot today" and get on with the job, but you sound like a prima donna who refuses to come out of their trailer until the sound guy stops looking at you.

  20. #40
    Senior Member frankdux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    I'm not saying you don't have the 'right' to complain, just that it's a bit over the top. Most people would say "wow it's hot today" and get on with the job, but you sound like a prima donna who refuses to come out of their trailer until the sound guy stops looking at you.


    if you could only physically see me by the time i would get to my school in the morning. i would be fucking drenched in sweat. i looked like i got out of the shower, except its sweat. and then i'd have to sit there coated in layers of my own sweat for 9 hours. fucking misery. i've never felt so filthy in my life. i was showering 3 times a day to get the sweat off.

    i can understand that some people sweat more than others. and obviously i am quite a sweater myself. and not everyone would sweat like i did in that climate. its just a fair warning to others: the possibility exists that the climate could shock your system like you wouldn't expect it.

    coincidentally enough, one of the first weeks i was there the vice principal told me to be careful about staying cool in the summer because apparently an ALT in the prefecture had recently died in his sleep from the heat. (i'm sure he had some sort of medical condition that was worsened by the climate. it probably wasn't pure heat that killed him.)
    Official Mystical Gatekeeper of the JET experience

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •