Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    school (high school)

the scar really doesnt bother me since i know it will fade and i know if i absolutely hated it i could grow my hair out to cover it, i just dont like when people laugh about it behind my back without realizing how serious it is.
    Scars are awesome, especially gnarly ones. I have 2 biguns on my face from when a husky decided to gnaw on me for a few minutes. 45 stitches on my nose, cheek, and neck. My cheek was split wide open like that guy from Ichi the Killer, and its tooth punctured my neck a few mm from my carotid artery. Lived to tell the tale! Suck it, husky!

IMO don't let the scar fade. In fact, irritate it so it stays awesome.

I got picked up by my go between, a nice guy in his late twenties. It was a bit awkward 2-3 hour drive where you could tell we were both reaching for conversation and then he took me to an onsen where we got ass naked together just a couple hours after meeting...

then we went and got plowed... ...bumfuck... ...kinda want to hop it to osaka tonight lol
    Stay out of My Japan, you mincer slut.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Things are going a little slow at my place-no parties or whatsoever (which is fine with me because I would feel overwhelmed). Teachers here are really busy, including my supervisor too, so I havent been doing much. I have been staying at my supervisors place for 3 days and will finally move into my apt today with just a futon and a bike. Awesome.

Overall things are pretty good. I live close to a lot of stores so I wont have any trouble getting things. I was overwhelmed the first day I arrived at my school. Every student walking by would stop and greet me (Im assuming its common in Japanese school to greet teachers all the time?)! Everyone is so nice~~~

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bibyen View Post
    Im assuming its common in Japanese school to greet teachers all the time?
    That seems to be the case in my school. They put a huuuuuuge premium on greetings, and the principal actually gets on their case if they're not genki enough about it for his liking, which drives me up the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Yeah. I hate that too. It completely cheapens the greeting. I'd much rather have a kid who's genuinely happy to see me greet me enthusiastically than a kid who can't stand to be in the same room as I greet me with false enthusiasm.

It's like when I was a little kid and someone would tell someone to say that they were sorry, and you'd get this half-hearted mumble of an apology. Yeah, real sorry they were .
    教育を要らない
    思想統制も要らない
    Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    3 years later - it aint culture shock. Japan's just got its priorities wrong here.

Deleted

Overall things are pretty good. I live close to a lot of stores so I wont have any trouble getting things. I was overwhelmed the first day I arrived at my school. Every student walking by would stop and greet me (Im assuming its common in Japanese school to greet teachers all the time?)! Everyone is so nice~~~
    In my school its the teachers who greet the students
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

work at the BOE during the summer is going to be boring but so far i just slug my way through the days.. i try and do a bit of study but i just watch the clock waiting for the afternoon so i can go for a swim/surf in the ocean. only 7 hrs to go! woo! it is a bit hard to study in here because it is so noisey but my BOE people are really friendly and the best thing is they told me not to use polite japanese with them so that makes life easy. no one speaks english here but that has it's benefits... they can't read what im looking at on the internet.. haha.

i just wish that i had internet at home.. all the email sites are blocked and for some reason facebook doesn't work. thank god for meebo!! i can chat!

still love my placement despite being burnt like a lobster surfing on the weekend and cuts on my feet and hands from the reef it is great. this place is just sooo beautiful that i couldn't possibly imagine being stuck in a city working. this place is fantastic.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karumu View Post
    no one speaks english here but that has it's benefits... they can't read what im looking at on the internet.. haha.
    I love that. *points to my LiveJournal* "Is that work?" "Yup!"
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

well spent the first few days getting some stuff sorted, still not got a phone or the internet but thank you neighbours with unsecured wifi. it helps a bit.

phone will be a problem, the sup doesn't believe you can use the certificate as ID so will probably have to wait until i get my card.

car should be sorted tomorrow and hopefully i will have ac in my living room in a week or 2. bedroom i can get to 18 deg but living room is in the high 30's so too hot to do anything.

oh well back to katakana practice

Things are going a little slow at my place-no parties or whatsoever (which is fine with me because I would feel overwhelmed). Teachers here are really busy, including my supervisor too, so I havent been doing much. I have been staying at my supervisors place for 3 days and will finally move into my apt today with just a futon and a bike. Awesome.

Hey roomie!

Sounds like things are going well! I am partied out here, I've already skipped one barbeque because of that. I tried to buy a sewing machine on Saturday, but they were out. I'm going to the recycle shop today, hopefully. I also need to buy a TV. I'm already in the "sitting around" groove at my visit school. I got here around 8:10, and after being introduced to most teachers and given a short tour of the school, I've been sitting on my butt ever since. To be expected, but hey.

I have one hell of a sunburn right now, though. My bra straps are killing me because of it.
    "...There was Kirk going, “Scotty, we need warp factor 9 in five seconds, or we’re toast!” And he goes, “I can give you 30 miles an hour in a week, Captain, how about that?” ~Eddie Izzard

http://anruiukimi.livejournal.com

ahh, sup just came back after talking to electrician, 15000 to install the old maybe working ac unit left in garage. or 40000 for new ac unit.
    if the old one doesn't work will still need to pay.
    hmm choices, choices.

Doesn't do O-ramas

I am currently on my first day at my visit school, Kasumi high school. A JTE here told my pred to tell me, (quote tell him this is a shit school. no, tell him it is a prison for students.) (parentheses because I have no quotes on this japanese keyboard). This school has lots of kids from all over Hyogo who come for the fishing/marine course and don:t care about anything and can be violent--one student was killed here three years ago.

The train this morning was delayed over an hour due to heavy rain and wind on the Amarube iron bridge (google it) and the guy at the station wouldn,t give me a certificate stating that the trains were delayed so I don,t even know if the school is aware that I was late because of the trains. The people here are really nice but I just get a less comfortable feeling than I do at my base school, Hamasaka.

Apartment still doesn,t have air conditioning and won,t until Wednesday (I can NOT stand that anymore, my arms have broken into an itchy bumpy rash from the constant sweating and four showers per day just to still wind up sweating balls when I go to bed), still no internet at home, still no cell phone, and zero people to talk to or hang out with. I also am without car or bank account yet, and my hanko isn,t ready. I met the one JET who is closest to me, he took me out for dinner my first night after driving over a half hour to get to me. There is one foreigner in the town who will only be here until february, I met her already as well. Other than those two, I have nobody to even talk to and no way to contact home or anyone, and there,s nothing to do in my town or apartment since I have no internet or phone. Also my apartment is a complete shithole and my pred left allllll the shit I specifically said I didn:t want, including a garbage can full of rotting food.

The supermarket is over a fifteen minute walk in this heat, and my washing machine is also broken. I spent three hours doing one load of laundry yesterday...by the supermarket there is a coin laundry place so I was happy to just walk over there and wash and dry all my laundry, but once I sweated terribly to get there I found out that they only had dryers, no washers, so I got pissed and had to walk the fuck back home sweating to wash my clothes in the sink and then haul them back through town to dry them.

So far I,m more than a touch disheartened with my JET experience.

*sigh*
    Last edited by puma; August 4th, 2008 at 12:17.

I danced in the town festival and watched big dudes have races with giant tree logs the next day.

I just grilled a burger and I`m watching some Japanese lady in the BOE surf 2chan right now. Bored.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Deleted

Oh dear Puma, it can only get better. I was chatting with some mates last night, and we all agreed that this heat puts most of us in a foul mood. When the leaves start changing and its cooler, you will feel far happier.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

So far I,m more than a touch disheartened with my JET experience.
    *sigh*
    Look on the bright side. At least you haven't ended up with mosquito bites covering your arms and legs from being outside all day every day, conjunctivitis in both eyes, a massive cold that turned into laryngitis and a sinus infection, an agonizing muscle spasm in your neck that lasted a week, and a period that came a couple weeks early.

Did I mention that I love my house? I really do. It is what keeps me sane right now.
    Tofu Robot says, "Meat is Murder!" Mwahahaha....

well i'm in a really small town, pretty sure i'm the only white person here. my predecessor was asian too so you would assume that i would be a bit of a big deal, but so far the only person who really gives a shit is my supervisor (who is actually really awesome). so far, no enkai or matsumi but i THINK they have a few things planned for me.

my apartment is kinda dingy but i don't care, i've been fitting it out with stuff i've picked up at the 100 yen shop (including some cool japanese crockery and the likes) - i take pride in getting my house/room looking nice and i was more than a little annoyed when i opened my kitchen drawers and found that not a single plate or bowl was MATCHING! worse still - not a single pair of chopsticks in the whole place. haha so i'm slowly but surely making the place a bit nicer.

introduced myself to the neighbours but since i don't speak any japanese i didn't get very far beyond handing over their omiyage. i was hoping they would invite me over for dinner or something but noooooooo.

anyway. the school is reallllllyyy chill (to the point where one of the teachers actually said don't worry about getting here on time until semester starts), and the students seem mostly excited to see me which is nice because it seems the only people in this town under the age of 40 are the students at this school.

all of this i can deal with - so far the worst part about my japan experience is the sunburn i got while cruising around town on my bike yesterday.

Doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
    Oh dear Puma, it can only get better. I was chatting with some mates last night, and we all agreed that this heat puts most of us in a foul mood. When the leaves start changing and its cooler, you will feel far happier.
    Thanks, for now I am reserving judgment. Until I get an air conditioner, my cell phone, internet at home, and figure out how to get out of town for the weekends (there are trains twice daily that offer nonstop service to Osaka and Kyoto in a little under four hours but the last train is 1:30 meaning if I want to go to Osaka on a Friday night after work I have to figure out how still), I will just continue to be neutral towards it and take it in.

The salt in the wound was the fact that the Hyogo PA gave everyone a map of where all the Hyogo jets were and I wasn:t on it lol

Got to Ishinomaki BoE at about 6:00pm on the Wednesday after a 6 hour charter bus ride to Sendai and a 2 hour trip from Sendai to Ishi with a visit to Matsushima on the way. Met my Monou supervisor and an awesome teacher who is extremely friendly and had me over for dinner the first night. The supervisor speaks no English but my Japanese has been enough to get me through so far - he ended up taking me to the fireworks in Ishi on Friday with his family!

My pred was awesome so the house was in great condition when I got there, including food for the first couple of days and so fourth. My internet is connected but I cant actually use it yet, I think I am waiting on a username and password to be mailed out to me.. not sure how it works to be honest. I think my supervisor got me on flets adsl, which I know nothing about. Hopefully I can use it for everything I need, otherwise it is so cheap anyway that Ill just pay it out and switch to something else..

The house is hot, has airconditioning but im trying not to use it since aircon costs a lot of money and its not THAT hot up here in Touhoku comparatively.. it's big but not tall, I hit my head on all the doorways :x

The township of Monou is dainty, tonnes of rice and vegie fields and a small shopping strip about 10 mins walk from me (I have a car but have to wait for my foreigner card to register it in my name for insurance or something). My base school teachers are friendly and a few aren't too shy which is great, and I have a computer which is a communal computer, but since everyone else has their own it is basically mine. Apparently this school is notorious for trouble making kids though which will be interesting when school starts properly.

So far so good, just cant wait for internet in the house so I can feel a little less isolated, but even that isnt as bad as I thought it might be!

The salt in the wound was the fact that the Hyogo PA gave everyone a map of where all the Hyogo jets were and I wasn:t on it lol
    Ouch. Well, if you ever feel like coming out my way, it's pretty darn nice out here (minus the heat.)
    "...There was Kirk going, “Scotty, we need warp factor 9 in five seconds, or we’re toast!” And he goes, “I can give you 30 miles an hour in a week, Captain, how about that?” ~Eddie Izzard

http://anruiukimi.livejournal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    So far so good, just cant wait for internet in the house so I can feel a little less isolated, but even that isnt as bad as I thought it might be!
    sup dunc.