Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Already suffering, advice please

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    Talk to people and find out about a local charity that is worth supporting. Then start planning some kind of "international cultural event" to raise funds for it. Could be a local hospital, school for the blind, local library - anything!
    Plan an ALT vs student soccer/baseball/basketball game, or a concert, or a musical play, or a sponsored walk/run/bike ride. It doesn't matter what it is - put feelers out to see who would be interested in being involved.
    Apply for funding for it. This will all take up lots of time, give a great first impression to your town and fulfill the grassroots internationalisation part of being a JET.
    That's a great idea!

After you finish that, maybe you could translate the current debates about English education currently taking place in the diet and start a newsletter about it. Then, write your own textbook detailing these events! People will be so interested in what you have to say!!!

Then, start your own NGO. It doesn't have to be big, maybe 4000 - 5000 volunteers. You could then use this to bring all the people of the world together in a big family where we can all have a feast in honour of wicket's amazingly realistic advice.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Fuck off, Tim. JETs can and have done amazing things for charities in various prefectures and it has to start with one person - why not the OP? My mate and I started an annual charity concert in Toyama-ken - as far as I know, it's still going! It doesn't have to be anything on a grand and massive scale, either.
    Who pissed on your cornflakes? Plenty of JETs have fantastic organisational and people skills and are just looking for an opportunity to put them to good use.

And just for your information, I just finished writing a textbook. For Year 11 and 12 Philosophy. It will be published for the 2010 Australian school year.

Just because you like sitting on your arse banging on about how wonderful Notohanto is.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Fuck off, Tim. JETs can and have done amazing things for charities in various prefectures and it has to start with one person - why not the OP? My mate and I started an annual charity concert in Toyama-ken - as far as I know, it's still going! It doesn't have to be anything on a grand and massive scale, either.
    Who pissed on your cornflakes? Plenty of JETs have fantastic organisational and people skills and are just looking for an opportunity to put them to good use.

And just for your information, I just finished writing a textbook. For Year 11 and 12 Philosophy. It will be published for the 2010 Australian school year.

Just because you like sitting on your arse banging on about how wonderful Notohanto is.

Well aren't you fucking fantastic!

I know because you like to remind everyone of how bloody wonderful you are in every thread. Shit, do you honestly think this guy who's just got off the plane and landed in some random BOE in bumfuck nowhere can do any of the stuff you just mentioned????

Of course he can't. He's having a hard time, so why not give him some practical advice instead of showing off like the smug super jet that you are.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Question re Super-JETs: am I the only one who felt COMPLETELY intimidated by the Super-JET types when I first got here? I remember being completely freaked out because I had no idea how I was going to live up to people like that (made worse by the fact that my pred was a Super-JET in some ways.)
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm going to bring a book and just read that and work on writing a journal or something for the time being. Apparently they may let me get out of the BOE and go to the JHS in a week or so to help with speech contest stuff. Thank god.

I chose not to be intimidated by the Super JETs. I just do what's expected of me and what's in my contract, and I've trained my schools well. So well in fact, that they actually got the impression that I was supposed to come in at 8:15 instead of 8:30 like my contract states because I just happen to like showing up 15 minutes early every day so I can uchiawase with the teachers (who all disappear from the staff room by 8:20. I don't get much of an opportunity in the afternoons because they're all busy doing their stuff, and since I typically have first period off, I use it to organize teaching materials, and make myself a lesson plan.

Back to training my schools, they called me on the phone and asked me why I was late at 8:15, and I let them know that I've been showing up 15 minutes early for the past two years. LOL.
    教育を要らない
    思想統制も要らない
    Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    3 years later - it aint culture shock. Japan's just got its priorities wrong here.

The same thing has happened to me before, Rin. I have to take a school bus to some of my schools. My BoE scheduled it to pick me up at 6:55AM because they didn't want to pay the travel fees to my schools (1300 yen two days a week). I get to that ES at about 7:20AM. One day, the school bus didn't show up, I went and tried calling my BoE, no answer. I decided to drive at about 7:55 or so. I got to school at 8:15 (15 minutes before my contract said I was supposed to start), Kocho-sensei stops the morning meeting to come out and yell at me about being late.

---

And I'm in the same situation at patjs, even after a year. I work at an integrated office where I am the only employee of the education section. It's one big office, but it houses all the utility, sports, etc. offices for my village. I'm the only one in the education section.

My supervisor down in the city has asked me to not read books, but to prepare lesson plans and talk with other people there. Funny thing about lesson plans is that about 3 weeks ago, she got on to me for not following the school's designated curriculum (I was doing phonics lessons when I should have been doing months and days of the week). She yelled at me in front of my students for not following the curriculum.

So, now I have no idea what to do. My supervisor is down at the city BoE where there are four other ALTs.

suggestions: tell your BoE you need to learn the roads or some such nonsense. If you're lucky you can get two days of you and JTE driving around and hanging out. Actually learning Japanese is a good idea. That can kill a couple hours a day easily, if you don't have a book go buy one. Around here there are all sorts of kid's events going on, sports tournaments, music stuff, everything. See if you can find out what's going on and say you want to go to some of the events to see what the kids are doing and meet the kids/parents etc. They'll probably like that a lot and it'll give you something far more interesting to do.

If that fails...fake a siezure. That should get you a few days off.

If all else fails, do what the buddhist monks do and take control of your autonomous nervous system. In high school I learned to consciously control my irises and eye lenses. Later I tried to raise my body temperature, that was a lot harder though.

edit: also try "I want to learn more about Japanese culture." BoE lady took me to all the touristy places around here randomly one day. Maybe you could pull that off. It was pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi View Post
    Well aren't you fucking fantastic!

I know because you like to remind everyone of how bloody wonderful you are in every thread. Shit, do you honestly think this guy who's just got off the plane and landed in some random BOE in bumfuck nowhere can do any of the stuff you just mentioned????

Of course he can't. He's having a hard time, so why not give him some practical advice instead of showing off like the smug super jet that you are.
    I never claimed to be a superJET. I'd struggle to even define what one is. And I apologise if I come off sounding smug.
    However, I see no reason why the OP couldn't do any of the things I suggested, Tim. I think you're being condescending by assuming his skills aren't at least as good if not better than yours or mine.

In any case, OP, glad you solved the problem. Enjoy the downtime - hopefully you will be busy once the students start back.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

I never claimed to be a superJET. I'd struggle to even define what one is. And I apologise if I come off sounding smug.
    However, I see no reason why the OP couldn't do any of the things I suggested, Tim. I think you're being condescending by assuming his skills aren't at least as good if not better than yours or mine.

In any case, OP, glad you solved the problem. Enjoy the downtime - hopefully you will be busy once the students start back.

He's been here five days.

True, but I'd also argue that the time on JET flies, and if you have an idea for an event or project that will take time and effort, the earlier you start it the better.
    In any case, the OP came here looking for things to occupy his time - I was only trying to help.
    Sheesh.

I have to agree with Wicket on this. She just made some suggestions and since she was able to do it, she can reasonably expect others to be able to do it as well. Your mileage may vary.

In my case, when I asked about an English club, my JTE just raised an eyebrow and asked, "What English club?" When I put out feelers for it with the students and the teachers for starting one up, I got an overwhelmingly apathetic response - that is to say, ZERO interest.

If you can garner interest, more power to you.
    Last edited by Rin; August 4th, 2008 at 08:14. Reason: Edited for gender disparity issues.
    教育を要らない
    思想統制も要らない
    3 years later - it aint culture shock. Japan's just got its priorities wrong here.

Thanks Rin.
    Just one thing. Wicket is a she.
    Well, the original ewok was a he, but I'm a she.

Thanks Rin.
    Just one thing. Wicket is a she.
    Well, the original ewok was a he, but I'm a she.
    Sorry, Wicket. Honestly, I didn't know. Anyway, I've corrected the post to rectify the situation.
    教育を要らない
    思想統制も要らない

For those who are into cooking, i organized a cooking afternoon when i first got here. showed a few of the locals how to make pavlova and it was great fun. made a heap of friends and it also got me in the good graces of my school!

or organize a game of football or some sport that is popular in your country. when i showed my kids how to play cricket they were awed as they had never heard of it before.

Oh god. Pavlova. The food of the gods. I'll be in Australia Thursday afternoon. I know what I'm having for dessert that night.
    Agreed on the sport thing, too. I showed my kids Aussie rules footy and they went batshit. Might be better to wait for cooler weather though.
    Just thought of something else. My school's festival is in July, so I didn't think of it before. For those of you who are at schools, as opposed to the poor OP, wander around and see if you can help with festival preparations. Most schools have them in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post

That's about it. If you want tips on how to skive off, I'll find you one of my previous posts which details exactly how to train your co-workers into allowing you to go home after 30mins or an hour.

yes please.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Try reading it again. I said I get it, I know I have to be at work.

I'm not at school. I can't meet teachers or plan anything. I'm in the BOE office with nothing to do but stare at the wall and practice Japanese from imaginary books.

I would love to work if they actually had something for me to do.

yeah when i first got here they tried having me at the BOE everyday too, but every day i told them it would be much better if i was actually at school with the people i would be working with, and although there are no classes all the students will be there doing sports and other club activities and tell your BOE taht you can use that time to meet the students and find out what they are interested in and maybe you could join them in their club activities. you are afterall not just an assistant language teacher but also a cultural ambassador as well, right?

well now i just come into kencho everyday summer winter spring and fall, so i feel your pain, thing is though, i am usualy pretty busy, so i dont get too overly bored all the time.

good luck.

and fuck studying japanese thats just boreing.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Also, if you decide to renew, they may not be as strict the 2nd year. When I first arrived, I had to go to school every day and study Japanese, create lesson plans, etc. But in the 2nd year, once they knew that I was dependable and could take care of myself, I didn't have to come to school. They only had 1 condition... I had to stay in Japan unless I informed them first and filled out all the nenkyu forms. But I could travel around Japan no problem.

So stick it out, and eventually they might relax and become less strict about it.