Thread: 1q - worth it?

Default 1q - worth it?

I haven't taken JLPT yet, but looking over the study materials and stuff in Kinokuniya makes it look like I could get 2q without too much trouble but 1q will take some serious cracking down... so the question is, should I bother? Most of the stuff in 1q seems pretty literary-based, stuff you'd see a lot translating documents but not all that much in daily life, is the impression I'm sort of getting. So I'm concerned that I'd be spending a lot of time studying stuff I wouldn't really be using and that'd slip out of my head again as soon as the test was over. The temptation right now is to just get 2q and keep studying more conversational material as I have been, but since I'm paying for the stupid test I also wonder if it wouldn't be better just to get it all over with if there's any possibility...?

So I dunno, opinions?

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Download some practice tests from the jlpt website and see how you go with them. If you pass 2-kyuu easily and only just fail 1-kyuu (or pass it) go for 1-kyuu.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Ah, thanks, I didn't even think to check if there was a website, durrr.

I feel the same way, kind of debating whether I should try 1kyuu this year or not. I passed 2kyuu last year, but I don't really think I can pass 1kyuu without a lot of cramming. But, 1kyuu grammar does seem pretty useless in everyday life. And I lose a lot of motivation whenever I show Japanese people my 1kyuu study materials and they all say, "Why are you studying this? We never use this." So I'm kind of like, "Meh, what's the point?"

I guess if you want to work in Japan after JET in a job other than teaching English, having 1kyuu will come in handy (2kyuu is good to have too, but 1kyuu makes getting a serious job a lot easier I hear). Also, they're changing the JLPT in the next few years, and they're making 1kyuu even harder, so it might be a good idea to get 1kyuu out of the way now if you can. But, if you don't think you'll stick around in Japan or get a job relating to Japanese, I would just get the 2kyuu and be done with it. Your Japanese is already fantastic, so it's not like you need to study anymore to get by anyway.

I know, it's like, whyyyy is THIS relevent? It'd be much more useful if they put in, like, magazine articles or TV clips. You could ace 1q and still not be able to understand the average nomikai conversation. If they're making it harder maybe I will just buckle down and take the stupid thing, but argh, even looking at the material is painful. I guess it is basically the inverse version of Japan's English education system, yay

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

I gaman-ed all that (yes, *I* gaman-ed something! ) because I wanted a job here that wasn't teaching English, but I doubt I'd have done it if I hadn't planned on using it to get a job. I don't have the motivation to spend months studying something I may or may not use if there's no tangible reward at the end.

One thing, though, there's no reason you can't study more conversational stuff at the same time. As well as studying from the textbooks, I also made an effort to read more in Japanese and watch Japanese dramas, so the combination of the two meant that my level of fluency improved quite a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Thanks! Yeah... Textbooks are impossible for me anyway - if there's no immediately obvious application, even if I try very hard to memorize junk, it just slips right out. I need context. But yeah, I do want to get a job here that's not ALT-ing or eikaiwa, so I guess I will just suck it up and take it. I mean it's not like I don't have the time

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

If you want context for the grammar, and the vocab and kanji for that matter, you could read the paper or an adult-level novel. I've read The Ring and The Devil Wears Prada in Japanese, and both had a ton of grammar that I swotted up on for 1kyuu but thought I'd never use. I've been pretty lazy about reading the paper, but whenever I've picked it up, it's normally full of 1kyuu-level stuff.

Btw, just out of curiosity, what kind of job are you after?
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

I've been reading middle school-level books for study and that's helped me pick up a lot of stuff, yeah... And watching the news, but I'm too much of a lazy ass to dig up the newspaper, though now that I think of it I could probably print off an online edition every so often.

Nooo idea what kind of job I want. I thought for a while I wanted to do translation, but I think now it'd probably be too isolating for me. Interpreting, maybe, something working with people. Also I do enjoy teaching, just not ALTing, so something along that vein, maybe, Iunno. To be totally honest I kinda wanna open up a coffee shop somewhere in Sapporo somewhere down the line, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    To be totally honest I kinda wanna open up a coffee shop somewhere in Sapporo somewhere down the line, haha.
    Cheers!
    I have a distant dream of opening a place in Nagoya. I'd like to open an American BBQ restaurant, but that would be mammothly difficult, so perhaps a casual bar would be more plausible. It's hard enough to start up your own store and make a go of it, even harder for us here as foreigners. But that would be a pretty cool way to make a living over here!

Haha, that'd be cool, too! Yeah, having no knowledge of anything related to business management, I have no idea if I'd actually be able to pull it off, but the idea's always drawn me, even back home - just seems like a fun thing to do if you can make it work.