Thread: Entering your last year then?

Default Entering your last year then?

Just flew back into Hiroshima and am backing in Okayama now. It occurred to me that I'm just entering my last year in Japan which I have mixed feelings about.

Anyway anyone else decided that this is it for them and making plans? What are those plans then?

I am making uni applications. I am thinking that I might be better off doing another undergraduate degree but I think PG degrees might ironically be easier to get into.

Just back from Australia. There I officially dropped out of my education degree because I'm sick and tired of teaching and I think I want to study business when I get back.

Et toi?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

I went to Tokyo in Golden Week to do the intensive Japanese course at Noobica, and while I was there I spoke to someone I met at the Kobe conference who works in the translation industry. He gave me a ton of advice on what to do to get into the industry, so from about the beginning of next year I shall begin flying back and forth between Saga and Tokyo for approximately 485634574 job fairs, conferences and interviews. I'm nervous as fuck, but I also can't wait to be doing something that I'm actually passionate about.
    Last edited by kiwimusume; August 9th, 2008 at 21:19.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

This is most definitely my last year.
    My plan: Go back to SA to touch base then go visit my brother in England. From there it all depends. I really want to live in Russia but a) Moscow sounds scarier than Jo`burg and b) I don`t like teaching
    Personally, I feel so totally useless that I have no idea what job I can do.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

1. Take the GRE general test (entrance exam for grad school) by February in Osaka
    2. Take the GRE psychology subject test in August in the States
    3. Find a job of some sort with health insurance and work in said job for 1 year while taking a couple of courses at a community college
    4. Apply to grad school (fall 2010)
    5. Get married
    6. Go to grad school
    7. ?
    8. Profit

I think a lot of us are in the ? profit boat ...

Yep, 2 years is enough of JET for me.

Thinking of moving to Seoul for a year and getting an ALT job there (through SMOE). If that falls through, I wouldn't mind spending a year in China or Vietnam teaching ESL. After that, I'm planning on going to grad-school in Thailand to study development, or to go back to Singapore to do Public Policy (though that course might be difficult to get into). Whatever the case, I'm sure as hell not ready to return to Australia!!!
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Yea I cannot wait to go back to Australia.

I was there last week just for a week and I forgot how awesome it was. It does have it's drawbacks - mostly the price of alcohol but yea Australia rocks my face off.

Yay for never posting.

Last year for me. Though it's doubtful I'll leave Japan, I will be leaving Okayama. Go off to Tokyo for a while, then maybe head back to Canadia. I need to study French.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    Yea I cannot wait to go back to Australia.

I was there last week just for a week and I forgot how awesome it was. It does have it's drawbacks - mostly the price of alcohol but yea Australia rocks my face off.
    I just bought my first 4 litre bottle of whiskey in Japan.. for about the same price as 1.5 litres in Australia..

Too bad beer here costs like 4x`s as much as it does in America....

Quote Originally Posted by jboze84 View Post
    Too bad beer here costs like 4x`s as much as it does in America....
    only if you buy it in restaurants right? I dont drink beer but it seems super cheap in liquor stores and conbinis and stuff..

Don't get me wrong, I love Australia.

The weather's amazing, you can get food from anywhere in the world, they play all the good sports there, the beer tastes better, most of my friends and family are there, the best beaches and scenery, SBS is the best TV station ever, hell we even got rid of John Howard! (so proud)

But... I've done it all before. There's no jobs that interest me there. And, while there are idiots and wankers everywhere - the ones in Australia annoy me so much more. Would rather go out and see the world for the time being....
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    only if you buy it in restaurants right? I dont drink beer but it seems super cheap in liquor stores and conbinis and stuff..
    If by "super cheap" you mean three or four times as much, then sure. 500ml in Japan = 300 yen, 500 ml in America = 80-100.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

4th and last year for me too.
    3 was the plan, but with the baby and no real skills and the lack of a job market back home, i decided to stay on for this last year. Hopefully i can use my 4 years here (2 teaching, 2 at kencho) some how, at least to make the resume look better (i am thinking the kencho years will look better for what i want to do)
    i have two major sports entertainment firms in my sights, both in the midwest near family and friends, they work with sports teams and advertisment and marketing companies, also with agents and other parts of the sports world. The #1 i am looking at is really big in MLB and PGA both really popular with the japanese market, so i hope to use this job to either work with japan direct, or use this job to get experience and be working with MLB directly by the time i am 35 (shit am i already 27...ok 28...)

good luck everyone for this your last year and what ever you do next.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

pension received
    still in the middle of no where, but in the U.S at least

2 years is it for me, can't really understand why i'm even doing this second year. but after this its back to the states, probably moving to chicago if i can get into the master of library science program i want. get degree, work as a substitute teacher while doing it, and eventually be an elementary school librarian, possibly apply to work at one of the American Schools in europe preferably Italy.
    "To be nobody but yourself in a world that is doing its best, day and night, to make you like everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle that any human being can fight.... but never stop fighting" e.e. cummings

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I'm struggling. I really am. I was looking at uk IT jobs and theres a few I could do and the pay is much better than JET. I just have the urge to get on and do something else.

Plus the fact I'm completely out of lesson plan ideas.

Sigh.

Shit, I don't think I could handle 5 straight years of any job... Much less one with no opportunities and where you're treated like a child at all times regardless of how much experience/education you have.

My last year here too.

Im on track to have saved about 6grand (GBP) by the time im done, plus pension repayments, and selling all my apartment stuffs, so im hopefully gonna take myself off to Manchester for a Masters degree.

Seems like going back to Uni is a popular idea, But money as always, remains an elusive little slut.

I need only decide on a course.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
    This is most definitely my last year.
    My plan: Go back to SA to touch base then go visit my brother in England. From there it all depends. I really want to live in Russia but a) Moscow sounds scarier than Jo`burg and b) I don`t like teaching
    Personally, I feel so totally useless that I have no idea what job I can do.

Russia=scary. High crime. So far this year, sever population drop. economy in the shit, things flairing up in the Caucasus, many anti-foreign Russian groups. But, like the Japanese, they love their mayo.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: Entering your last year then?

NOt sure what I will do when I leave. I am thinking I def. want to be a math teacher. So maybe, if I still have the desire to live abroad, I can try to get a math teacher job at some american school somewhere (Japan or otherwise). But who knows. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.