Thread: When to apply for Eikaiwa as a second option

Default When to apply for Eikaiwa as a second option

I'm applying for JET and should have a decent chance of getting in. However, I want to be prepared for if it doesn't work, and I don't want to have to wait another year to try again; the grad program I want to join only accepts people who have been out of school for about 0-2 years.

So, when is the right time to start applying to Interac, Geos, etc. as a backup? I won't know for sure about JET until around April, right? I'd just like to have something lined up for fall 09 in case that goes south.

I applied to interac in march-ish as a back up and heard back from them immediately. I think they do the bulk of their hiring before April but do year-round. The eikaiwas definitely hire all the time, I believe.

That's good to know. If you apply in March, how long will you be waiting until you leave for Japan?

Doesn't do O-ramas

Yep I applied in February and was interviewing with AEON when I found out about JET...definitely apply sometime in February-March.

Eikaiwa hire year-round, but generally like to take people in September and April so you will likely be heading over in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyscrappy View Post
    That's good to know. If you apply in March, how long will you be waiting until you leave for Japan?
    I believe they said I'd probably be leaving in August/September if it was with interac.

The Japanese school year starts in April so for ALT positions I think that's why the majority leave around that time. The interac positions that start in September were described to me as "replacements" and likely inaka.

This is probably code for shit placements that people skipped out on mid year. He told me it would be very easy to change in April but who knows the real story...

I used to do Eikaiwa. I found out about the JET programme after applications closed for the year, so I went off to do Eikaiwa, and left Japan to apply the following time around. Sitting around in the UK for 8 months between that and JET was not so fun.

Once you have done JET, Eikaiwa work will make you cry. The working hours mean that you can't really do anything that you used to do - unless your life revolved around karaoke and izakayas. They have lots of ways of screwing you out of the promised bonuses, etc. Most eikaiwa have "hate sites" where you can read about their dark sides, and choose the one which sounds the most tolerable.

People skip out on their eikaiwa contracts all the time. Sometimes, the eikaiwa will tell you that you will have to pay back your airfare if you skip out - but that is actually illegal. Eikaiwa teachers have lots of rights in Chiba-ken, which they generally aren't aware of (details in the Sen-City building in Chiba City), like minimum pay, etc. The teachers at my old eikaiwa famously tried to form a union, so the bosses wrote to them, and told them that anyone in a union would be sacked.

Yes... eikaiwa need to recruit all year round. :-\

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    Yep I applied in February and was interviewing with AEON when I found out about JET...definitely apply sometime in February-March.

Eikaiwa hire year-round, but generally like to take people in September and April so you will likely be heading over in September.
    puma, did you apply before of after you heard back from your JET interview?