Thread: "Kanji in Context" books - any good?

Default "Kanji in Context" books - any good?

as above. I'm looking to bring a little more structure and method to my kanji study. I've been looking at http://www.nihongoperapera.com and the guy who runs it gives the Kanji in Context a good rap.

Before I fork out and buy them on Amazon - anyone else had any experience with these books? Any thoughts etc. ?

I talked to some teachers before I cam to Japan and they recommended it except that you should you have gotten through at least most of genki II before you can actually use it (I'm not at that level yet). Otherwise, it can be too hard to use.

It seems damn near impossible to find a fair priced edition of volume 1 also.

The first two are good, but the next two are just horribly arranged. I didn't like them one bit.
    教育を要らない
    思想統制も要らない
    Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    3 years later - it aint culture shock. Japan's just got its priorities wrong here.

There's only one way to learn Japanese.

Sit on the tatami, grab a teapot full of green tea, think about the seasons a bit and write those kanji out again and again.

I'm in Hong Kong at the moment watching something about Mary on telly reading the subtitles.

Only gaman can achieve this for you.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

sorry dont know about that site. cant go wrong with genki, unfort. it is kind of expensive these days.

http://www.amazon.com/Kanji-Manga-Ja...223812&sr=8-36
    these books are really cool, looks like there are similar ones (different company) that look good too. i used these to study with while taking classes in ohio and tokyo. (met the guy who owns the company, artists, and such in tokyo. really cool company)

not a book, but i got this in tokyo:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kanji-Dictiona...223367&sr=8-11
    it is actually a game for japanese students to learn english, but use it in opposite! (as long as you can read hiragana and some kanji) write down a kanji you dont know, it will list a long dictionary term in japanese: but the word in hiragana too. and i know that games from japan work on an american DS, i think that its like that for everyone. (for all countries) write a word in english, and japanese kanji. i would use this as a backup - not by itself

Quote Originally Posted by mkw View Post
    it is actually a game for japanese students to learn english
    er........no. its a dictionary.

exactly. they use it to help study for their english and kanji exams... theres a few little games to help them along too.

Using a dictionary to study? My god, whatever will they think of next? I must rush out and buy a DS so I too can have access to this unique piece of technology

I have this awesome book that gives context to the kanji and groups them by situation (ie train station kanji, map kanji, rubbish classification and separation kanji...and so on)

It's called something ridiculous...like 日本語総まとめ問題集2級[漢字編] It covers 732 kanjis. It's orange.