Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your JLPT Weak Points

Default Your JLPT Weak Points

Right so what are they? What level are you doing? What are you planning to do about it? My weak point when I took 2q last year was listening for some reason. I think it's a confidence thing a bit too because in practice tests I have no problem. So going to practice to get confidence up. Et toi?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I'm taking 2Q despite not being at all ready for it. Just planning on cramming the old-fashioned way and hoping that I can get that shiny certificate. It's mostly just a matter of me upping my kanji and vocab as I think my grammar comprehension is mostly okay.

I'm generally ok apart from the "japanese" bits. I hoping that a solid few months of watching ai kurosawa movies will bump me up to level 4

I applied for Level 3, so everything is my weakness. I just started Japanese study and I think I could probably pass 4, but 3 will be a stretch. So far the Kanji study is okay. I know most of the Level 4 kanji. Grammar is going reasonably well, I think, but I won't do any practice tests until the end of September, so I can't honestly say how well I am doign in that section. I think I will have to work on listening. I generally understand what people say to me, but I also watch tons of movies and I never understand much.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    Right so what are they? What level are you doing? What are you planning to do about it? My weak point when I took 2q last year was listening for some reason. I think it's a confidence thing a bit too because in practice tests I have no problem. So going to practice to get confidence up. Et toi?
    I had the exact same problem! I'd get nearly everything right in practice tests, but in the real thing, and a practice test where I was more nervous than usual, my marks went way down. I think it was because in most of the practice tests I was just going "OK, I think it's this but even if it's not it doesn't matter because I can just swot up for next time", and so I went with my instincts more, whereas in the real thing and that other practice test I overthought it.

Other than that, it changed all the time. For awhile grammar and listening were my worst, then later I realised that I'd underestimated the vocab section, so that became my worst, then a few months after that I noticed that I'd gotten better at everything else but plateaued with reading, so that became my problem area. And then in the few weeks leading up to the test, it literally changed every week. Every time I did a practice test I'd bomb a different area, while doing fine at everything else. It figures that in the real thing I had to bomb the area with one of the highest marks per question.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

After my last Japanese class I took before I graduated, I should be able to take JLPT 2. However, I'd have to say my weakest point is what's not on the test, thank God; writing kanji. I really need to start studying and pass it, since I want to segue to a non teaching job here ASAP.

I'm going to start studying tomorrow at work since I have no lessons yet I still have to come into work.

I can write kanji very well.

Pity they don't test it ...

But I think it does help to know how kanji are written at least for the lower levels because they try to trick you with teh one stroke different questions. If you can write it you'll know.

But in 2q they don't really do it so you can probably get away with it I think

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Doing 2kyuu.
    Worried about listening as I'm not in the country anymore.
    And finding time to study. This having a proper job shit isn't all it's cracked up to be!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Are you doing the test in London or coming out here to do it?

I just did my first practice test for 3 kyuu and i flunked the grammar section!!!
    It’s those darn particles; I just cannot seem to pick the right one gah. Any advice??? Or online quizzes that may help?

I passed all the reading, listening and kanji sections with an 80% pass mark for each one though, so its really the particles and some more brushing up on my grammar

The red kanzen master book is pretty alright I reckon. I use the green 2q one and have no complaints apart from the odd awkward question.

Thanks Dombay.
    I really should be doing 2 kyuu but ive lost all the basics. Like the difference between は and が, and all my basic grammer. Got to love that colander memory of mine

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    Are you doing the test in London or coming out here to do it?
    Doing it in London, unfortunately.
    I have no problems with England, but I'm not a big fan of getting in and out of London, plus I'll probably go down the night before and accommodation down there is hella expensive.
    That's if I do it at all. Haven't even received my application form yet!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Anonymous I`d say that you`ll get a lot more out of your everyday interactions if you are studying concurrently. Learning a word and hearing it in context for example reinforces your learning.

If you only hear the word in context, you might be unable to remember it until you hear it many many times. You will pick up things from everyday conversation, but you will pick up more if you study (even just a wee bit) on the side.

http://www.jlptstudy.com/

That guy bought the requirements and has them listed online for levels 2, 3, and 4. If you click on the grammar, you get an explanation. I just found it so I haven't had a chance to look through it too well, but you can see if all that stuff helps. I have a wonderfully detailed book called The Preparatory Course for JLPT by Damian Wallis. It has one for each level. I got mine from Junkudo. The level 4 one lists lots of stuff about particles and their uses. I also have the Kanji Power Handbook for JLPT. It gives you all the Kanji 'required' for JLPT and the level .The problem with this book is that it isn't organised by level but by Japanese alphabet, which means you'd have to go through and pick out the Kanji for the appropriate level. Either way, both books are currently working fine. We'll see how fine, when I attempt to skip over level 4 and get 3 in December.

And as for immersion, I believe that it's great, along with study as was said before. Something I also suggest is watching movies in Japanese. I've been doing it since I got here and so far I have only picked up one word I didn't know (korosu-to kill, hope I never need to use it) but I have been getting better at understanding the things they say the first time around.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Anonymous I`d say that you`ll get a lot more out of your everyday interactions if you are studying concurrently. Learning a word and hearing it in context for example reinforces your learning.

If you only hear the word in context, you might be unable to remember it until you hear it many many times. You will pick up things from everyday conversation, but you will pick up more if you study (even just a wee bit) on the side.
    +1. I did a combination of the two last year when I was studying for the JLPT and my Japanese improved hugely.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Oh my god, I just did a placement test on Kanjistep.com. It's just vocab and grammar. I did level 4 and only got 50%. I am happy with my 82% in the Vocab-nouns section, and 9 of 13 right in partlicles isn't too bad, but the whole thing needs to vastly improve. I think I am going to find a Kanji test to do, since I actually know the Kanji and it's the only thing I feel confident about, before the rest of the thing depress me.

so you are going for level 3 but you can only manage 50% at level 4? good luck with that. Maybe you can get some tips off dombay on how to chicken out of the test

well I've been at it about a month, so I'm looking at it positively. If I can get to 50% on 4 in a month, and I have almost 3 left. I can make it. I know my real problem is vocabulary. I would just not know 1 word in the sentence and I could look at all the answers and see why it would be each depending on that one word. So I need to stock up on vocab. I gine and look for a knji test now, because I know all the level 4 ones and it'll cheer me up

Quote Originally Posted by newdawn View Post
    I gine and look for a knji test now
    when are you going to start on English?