Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Everything is fair game: race, religion, gender, sexual orientation."

Default "Everything is fair game: race, religion, gender, sexual orientation."

It says that in the sticky FAQ. I haven't had an interview yet, since I'm haven't been able to apply until this year, but do they honestly ask those questions? I know if an American employer asked that it would be highly illegal.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Well, I don't know what they would need to ASK someone's race or gender at an interview...

I don't think the interviewers ask you straight out 'Are you Christian, are you Gay.' But they ask things like...'could you teach about Christmas without a religious element?' During my interview they had me do a short lesson on Easter, and I think the reason I got in was because I said 'the root of Easter is from an old Christian Holliday, but that doesn't matter any more. What matters now is the Easter BUNNY!' I then drew a picture of a bunny, called him Mr. Genki bunny, and did bunny ears with my fingers. No problem.

Honestly though...they don't really care if you are Gay, Jewish, Christian, Straight, Black, Asian, or anything else. They just want to know that you WON'T teach your classes those differences. They want the students to learn what it means to be an American. Not an African American, or a Woman living in America. Just an American.

thats not so bad. i was worried for a second. it would come to a moral and ethical ground, which i would not want to be on during an interview.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by curtaineater View Post
    thats not so bad. i was worried for a second. it would come to a moral and ethical ground, which i would not want to be on during an interview.
    No worries. There are only 2 things you need for JET; a diploma and native english speaker skills. Oh, and a loud voice is good too...

My city has only 7 JETs, but they are all different religions, and there is a mix of races, genders, body types, sexual orientation, and personalities.

Don't worry, cunteater, your sexual orientation will have no bearing.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Um ... is that what the OP is asking?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Hey maybe cunteater is a guy? Tbh, I just wanted an excuse to say cunteater again
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Yeah, I was wondering if the name was another slang term for carpet muncher or something...

Seriously though. All those questions could come up, except gender but just answer them logically. The only one I got posed was race and that only happened because it was in my essay for JET. I spun it in the essay as internationalization and I did so in the interview.

Religion - Just don't talk about your undying love to convert the evil heathens of Japan to the one true path of Jesus and you should be fine. The only time religion has come up has been with Japanese Christians coming by my apartment and inviting me to church and once when some older people I do an eikawa for asked. I just say raised Christian but I don't believe in God. Ends it rather quickly.

Sexual orientation - I'm not entirely sure what they would ask but even in SHS, I see no need or reason to prance about and have the students know. Just don't make your interview sound like you need to be near a scene rivaling SF or NYC.

You could be the most average person in America and you'll still be odd here. It just doesn't really matter. Just don't make a big deal out of it and they won't either. If they do ask, answer with some sense.

its not slang. i came up with it YEARS ago. its just weird and kind of stuck.

i think they ask you if you're gay on the application form, don't they? so if you put down that you are they might ask you.

They do? I don't recall that...

They don't. It would take some effort to mention that on the application in most situations as well.

They definitely do not ask you on the application form.

I <3 Melon Soda

Well, they asked me if I had a family and then grilled me over being married for a lot of the interview with questions like, "How do you expect to learn Japanese if your husband speaks English at home?" They also asked me questions about sexism, like, "What would you do if someone at your office asked you to make tea?"

I'm pretty sure an American employer could never ask those things. I think they're trying to gauge how you react to the questions, checking whether you remain calm, rather than caring about the answers themselves.

Yea but you'd probably not be asked by an American office to make tea either or learn a foreign language when your husband speaks your native language?

But yea I agree. I was accused of being a mummy's boy in my interview by the rather motherly type I got who asked me if I could iron my own shirts. It was for a reaction not because I couldn't iron my own shirts.

what a strange thing for them to call you.

Quick question about that whole women make tea thing... Are they expecting some kind of huge post-feminist gaijin freak-out or something?

I mean do people actually flip out on something so silly?

which wave of feminists is the violent one?

No worries on that. I got that question, and said I didn't know how to make tea. I don't think they are looking for the freak out so much as a more sutble things like...just being a little upset by the question, or asking why that is important.

That being said, when my vice-principal asked me make tea and I told him I didn't know how, he said I was a bad woman. Fun!

how can you not know how to make tea?