Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Everything is fair game: race, religion, gender, sexual orientation."

I'm assuming you said that as a way to avoid making tea. If you actually don't know how to make tea you may be retarded and perhaps that's what your kyoto was getting at.

let's talk about socks gingerbread's Avatar

most of us don't know how to play cricket, either.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
    most of us don't know how to play cricket, either.
    Well, cricket's a bit more complex than boiling water and steeping some tea bags or using one of those loose tea holder thingies. Just sayin'.

Woah my god i know this is a non sequitur, but some of these emotes are hardcore.
    Last edited by maidenindigo; September 21st, 2008 at 05:35.

some are strange...

let's talk about socks gingerbread's Avatar

haha, yeah, i was just being facetious. personally, i hate tea and i never drink it. i probably wouldn't know how to make it (how long to steep it, blah blah, especially with loose tea) if there weren't instructions to follow.

He didn't say make good tea. He said make tea. It would be better revenge to give him crappy tea, in my mind.

As for the original post... they gave the standard "everything is game, don't be offended" before my interview and then asked me what I would do if a coworker got a little friendly during a after-work party, or he said something I found offensive about religion or orientation. Later on they asked me what I would do if I heard my students talking about how they were disappointed that the new AET didn't look "American". They mostly just want to make sure that you can handle yourself in situations that, at home, might be considered seriously offensive but are just part of life in Japan. It is very much not perfect here. Despite the amount of "WEEEEE, JAPAN IS TEH AWESOME!!" people that apply and/or make it over here the questions are aimed to at least try and find people who aren't going to freak out when they run into that dreaded culture shock.

Of course how effective that is...

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
    haha, yeah, i was just being facetious. personally, i hate tea and i never drink it. i probably wouldn't know how to make it (how long to steep it, blah blah, especially with loose tea) if there weren't instructions to follow.
    You don't need instructions, just make it as you like it. It's such a weird habit people have of following the packet rather than their own senses. "The packet says take the pasta out after 8 minutes, so I'll take it out on 8 minutes precisely without bothering to taste, even though the packet instructions are followed by people using hundreds of different conditions, so can only be a ball-park figure at best, but still, they must be followed to the letter"

Bah. /rant

Anyway, yeah they hate blacks, girls, queens and god-botherers, so don't bother applying unless Hitler's personally stamped your form.

blonde hair and blue eyes. i'm good to go.

They also hate shorties and tallies, fatties and thinnies. Good luck!

5'10, 140 lbs. I think thats right in the middle.

They also like metric measurements ...

Seriously love, this could go on for ever!
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

lol

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    I'm assuming you said that as a way to avoid making tea. If you actually don't know how to make tea you may be retarded and perhaps that's what your kyoto was getting at.
    I actually don't know how to use the big machine they use to make tea in our office. Sorry.

Default Re: "Everything is fair game: race, religion, gender, sexual orientation."

Sorry to dig up an old thread but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54iG6...eature=related There you go kalliea ;-)

Default Re: "Everything is fair game: race, religion, gender, sexual orientation."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO5IDiYPXPo

Sorry but this tutorial on Japanese dating is so much better. I literally LOL'd at the part where they show men "tailing" women they're interested in.

Lol yeah I've been watching the whole series, they are all pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by violetessence View Post
    Well, they asked me if I had a family and then grilled me over being married for a lot of the interview with questions like, "How do you expect to learn Japanese if your husband speaks English at home?" They also asked me questions about sexism, like, "What would you do if someone at your office asked you to make tea?"
    If you knew the depths of my obsession with tea... If I was ever asked to make tea, I would probably make them the tea, but I wouldn't just make them tea. Oh no.

I would make sure that the water was at the proper boiling temperature. Then I would discard and fannings, twigs, and bad dust. If the poor bastard was using improper quality of tea, I would rush out and acquire my own personal stash that I would have hidden in a secret compartment within the vicinity. Then, as the tea steeps in its proper temperature and time, I would explain the history of tea and the differences between teas. Then, at the peak of tea brewing, the recipient would finally received their tea and marvel at the lack of life that I have.

I suppose it is my fault. I tend to be a perfectionist in my hobbies. I think I'm going to make a lot of businessmen very happy. XD

So uh, making tea, it's not code for sex? Right?