Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2009 applicants... other plans?

Default 2009 applicants... other plans?

I was just wondering, out of us 2009 applicants, what people were thinking about should they not get into JET, or should another opportunity comes along.

I'm graduating may '09, and I'm planning on applying for other jobs in the states as well as a few grad programs in int'l social policy. What I've been worried about, though, is even though the wait for JET seems long, most grad programs don't even start applications until March/April '09 anyway (some even later!). So I suppose I'm wondering about the timing of things, how it may pan out.

What are other people doing? All eggs in the JET basket? Other programs (like aeon, interac, etc)?

since when has aeon and interac been a program?

I was planning to apply to Interac if I get rejected by JET, but I know very little about them (other than you get paid less) and have heard some pretty bad horror stories from people that did work for them. I guess you can say that about any of these companies though... some get lucky, some don't.

If I do get rejected by JET mayble I'll just stay at home, save some more money and reapply for 2010.

I'll just reapply next year, and whatever job I have here at home, I just stick with it. =P

If I don't get into JET, I'll do eikaiwa for a private organization in Fukushima-shi. If that fails, then I'll see about moving up my marriage date a few months so I don't get kicked out of the country and wait until a job opens somewhere.

I guess it depends where I got into the process for JET. If it was early I would probably apply to Interac. If I just missed out I think I would re-apply to JET and make sure I had more cultural/teaching stuff on my form.

how early/late would you apply to interac?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel1404 View Post
    I guess it depends where I got into the process for JET. If it was early I would probably apply to Interac. If I just missed out I think I would re-apply to JET and make sure I had more cultural/teaching stuff on my form.
    Same here. If I don't get in first time I'm going to make damn sure I've got plenty of cultural/teaching experience for next time.

id prob apply to some other schools, and keep practicing my computer work

let's talk about socks gingerbread's Avatar

if we don't go to japan we'll have to decide if we want to sweat out another phoenix summer and apply again for 2010, apply to teach in another country, or just decide to move to another part of the US and start being real adults. blaaaah.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
    or just decide to move to another part of the US and start being real adults. blaaaah.
    I hear 'ya!

I'd really like the chance to go do something like JET before settling down into what feels like the rest of forever.

I'm a secondary ed major, and plan on just applying to teaching positions in the states and JET. I don't care what kind of position I'm offered in the states - if I get accepted into JET I'm there! The timeline matches up flawlessly for me, I will be able to apply, interview, and decide all at the same time.

I'll be teaching english in Japan this time next year one way or another. JET is the obvious first choice, but i'll probably apply to interac or some other company. At least i'll get to be in a city.

how can you be so confident? you might get a brain tumor next week

Quote Originally Posted by SethArmstrong View Post
    how can you be so confident? you might get a brain tumor next week
    Does that stop you being an ALT?

Quote Originally Posted by cielya View Post
    I hear 'ya!

I'd really like the chance to go do something like JET before settling down into what feels like the rest of forever.
    I feel exactly the same way!!

If it doesn't pan out for me, I'll try different teaching schools.. or go to grad school.. which I'm not ready for.. lol.

interac or aeon i suppose. japan or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by hayashirice03 View Post
    I feel exactly the same way!!

If it doesn't pan out for me, I'll try different teaching schools.. or go to grad school.. which I'm not ready for.. lol.
    feel the camaraderie!
    yea, I'd like to have that year (or more) off school to work, get experience, and get better at Japanese. All the while avoiding stuff that I am so just not ready to jump head-first into yet, like grad school demands. And oh yea, returning to Japan has been a goal ever since I got on the plane to come back home after studying abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by triumphtr79 View Post
    interac or aeon i suppose. japan or bust.
    Same. I'll kayak the pacific ocean if I have to.

If I don't make it into JET, then I'll either try another school, or perhaps I'll just go for a trip to Europe, and then try again next time. I definately want to end up in Japan, but I like JET's pay check as well.