Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2009 applicants... other plans?

Default Re: 2009 applicants... other plans?

If all else fails I'll go home and work part-time and take grad. classes as an unclassified grad. until I figure out what kind of grad. work I want to do.

Or ... work full-time toward an MBA? ... or ... think about applying again next year? I have NO idea ...

I'll also chat with my uncle during Spring Break ... he's always a wealth of knowledge ...

It's kind of up in the air for me. >.< ... gotta <3 uncertainty, haha.

On a random note, I just rewatched the ending of "Summer Snow" again ... such a GOOD Japanese drama, but oh so sad! LOL. What a tearjerker. :-P
    バカにつける薬はない。

I think I might do a PGCE which lasts a year and will enable me to teach as a biology teacher. I'll also reapply for the following year JET programme.
    I am also going to apply to work as a clinical embryologist on the NHS. I guess you can never have too many irons in the fire. I really really want to be part of the JET programme above all though.

I'm not quite sure what I'll do if I don't get into the JET program. I will probably just stay here at my job working at a law office and re-apply next year. That way I get 2 years in the legal field and will have no problem getting a job when I get back. My fiance will not graduate until fall '09 so it might actually work out for the best even though I want this sooo bad. I could also take a Japanese class and maybe get a second job this summer working at the YMCA daycamp so I get some "teaching" experience. Also I could improve my SoP even though it was pretty good and be sure to fill in all the blanks on the application that I did not write "N/A" in. haha. I am also interested in South Korea, but I want to teach there after Japan, but I'm thinking it might pay better so maybe it would good to teach there first if hypothetically I don't get into this program.
    Last edited by bananahammock; December 18th, 2008 at 00:21.

Quote Originally Posted by bananahammock View Post
    I I am also interested in South Korea, but I want to teach there after Japan, but I'm thinking it might pay better so maybe it would good to teach there first if hypothetically I don't get into this program.
    I don't know anything about the strength of the Korean Won, but as of today 1USD = 89.30YEN (100YEN = 1.20USD) and that's right in line with recent trends. At that rate, that little bump would help me out greatly once my student loans go into repayment. I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a part of the appeal of JET. Of course, after including start up costs (getting there, setting up house, starting in a new place in general), I'm wondering what the benefits would end up being in the end.

Even still, when I compare the JET salary to some of the entry-level jobs I've been looking into, JET is all that much more appealing (but it's not /really/ in my field, so that might hurt me later - oy ).

All roads lead to the necessity of grad school. Blargh. Just can't make myself do that yet.
    >Oh screw it, (to be totally honest) as lame as it may be, at this point in my life, JET, or something like it, is just what I want to do...<
    Last edited by cielya; December 21st, 2008 at 06:06.
    shortlisted!

In the big, boring middle of my long book of life...

I'll probably continue at my current job, take some classes, finish my novels, and try to get them published. In the long term, I'm still looking for something I can enjoy, make good money at, and not have it drive me crazy/eat up all my time.
    "Apparently, this is the price I pay for years of screwing with Super-Science."
    -Dr. Venture

I've wanted to do this for years, literally since the end of high school. I've heard so many good things about JET that it's my obvious first choice, but I learned a long time ago that it's always a good idea to have a contingency plan. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get in, but if I don't I'll apply through another company. Either way, I'm looking forward to experiencing life in Japan come September 2009.

[QUOTE=Langus;244136]I've wanted to do this for years, literally since the end of high school. I've heard so many good things about JET that it's my obvious first choice, [QUOTE]

JET can be good but remember ESID!

Don't allow JET to become the be all end all. Keep your head grounded and remember if you don't get JET, there are other ways of coming here that are perfectly fine.

Oh I know. Even if I do get JET the experience is entirely what you make it. Trust me, I'm going into this with my eyes wide open. Thanks for the advice though

Quote Originally Posted by Langus View Post
    I've wanted to do this for years, literally since the end of high school. I've heard so many good things about JET that it's my obvious first choice, but I learned a long time ago that it's always a good idea to have a contingency plan. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get in, but if I don't I'll apply through another company. Either way, I'm looking forward to experiencing life in Japan come September 2009.
    same here dude. I just can't stay here another year! If I don't get into JET (or if JET gives me an awful placement) I'm gonna go with the peppy kids club: http://www.ittti.com/

or ECC: http://recruiting.ecc.co.jp/

they don't pay as much as JET does, but the hours are far less demanding. I know people who've worked for both companies and have nothing but good things to say about them...

hey those places look interesting, maybe I'll apply to those places if i don't get into JET as well

Quote Originally Posted by Lua View Post
    same here dude. I just can't stay here another year! If I don't get into JET (or if JET gives me an awful placement) I'm gonna go with the peppy kids club: http://www.ittti.com/

or ECC: http://recruiting.ecc.co.jp/

they don't pay as much as JET does, but the hours are far less demanding. I know people who've worked for both companies and have nothing but good things to say about them...
    Hey thanks for the tip! I've looked into a few alt agencies but I hadn't come across those two. It's nice to hear they're highly recommended. Best of luck on your JET application!

ehm, get an m.l.i.s. or some other random masters in the meantime then apply again for the jet program once i'm done with that. possibly an alternative program.

maybe even epik if i can ever nail down anything remotely near a korean accent. sigh, japanese and chinese are so much easier.