Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I even bother?

Quote Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
    Anime/manga doesn't strike me as particularly "Japanese expert" material.
    I know a lot of people who started their interest in Japanese culture THROUGH anime/manga, but if they were to mention it in an interview like the JET one it would probably be something like it being a gateway drug :P "I saw an anime in third grade and got really into that, because of my interest I started learning more and more about Japan, realizing that I was fascinated by the country, that's why I took this class and blahblahblah." I think it would be along the lines of when non-Americans say they started to learn English through watching our TV programs (amusing considering how much bad American tv goes overseas).

No, don't bother. Give all my friends who are applying this year a better chance of getting in.

And mentioning anime/manga makes it seem like that's why you want to go to japan. Similar to how saying like "I like beaches" as a reason why you would want a job in Florida. Seems shallow.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

For the record, my SOP had a bit about anime/manga in it, and about a third of my interview was focused on discussing it. So it isn't like mentioning it will be a mark against you. Just don't write *OMG I soo wanna go to Japan so I can see school girls uniforms and buy cheap Gundams!* That would be bad. But if you an honest interest in manga and it led to your interest in Japan, then be honest and say that.

its AN interest that relates to japan.

I wrote my thesis (in part) on japanese animation.
    It's not like its a bad thing to have as an interest , but there are interests and there are creepy socially retarded obsessed recluses....dont show up at the interview in your full metal alchemist t-shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Claire D View Post

It's not like its a bad thing to have as an interest , but there are interests and there are creepy socially retarded obsessed recluses....dont show up at the interview in your full metal alchemist t-shirt
    This is what I was thinking when I posted. It's one thing to have read manga as a hobby. To go overboard, though, and be a crazy otaku who takes it way too far is not going to score points in the interview. It would paint you as a creepy, culture worshiping freak.

As for the OP, don't worry about getting TESOL/CELTA things just for JET. You stated you want to do ESL as a possible career, but you don't need if for JET. JET's come from all over the world and all walks of life. It's true what the people are saying in that there is no sure-fire way to be accepted or rejected. If you really want to do this, just apply, put your best foot forward, if it works out, great, if not, move on.

I only have one caveat: JET placements are all over the board. Think hard about what your preferred living situation is. If you want nothing but the bright lights of a city, you could get (very) lucky and get an urban placement, but I wouldn't count on it. More than likely, you could be placed anywhere from the middle of nowhere, to an island off the mainland, or even a larger regional city (nothing like Tokyo-think Akita, Sendai, Yamaguchi, etc) and everything in between. If you think you could be happy in any of these environments, than you should definitely apply. If, however, you want Tokyo or Osaka and nothing else, JET probably isn't for you.
    Mark it zero!

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    Yes, the two with out passports were part of that group..
    Of the 9 people I flew out with..
    1 - Young school teacher. She new nothing about Japan, had never taken any Japanese or any class about Asia, never been abroad. But was a certified teacher.
    2 - New grad with no international experience beyond a little travel, no language, some teaching experience.
    3 - New grad with no teaching, no passport, but some international classes and a few Japanese classes.
    4 - New grad with some of everything; language, teaching, visited Japan a few times.
    5 - International teacher, lived in Africa teaching English. No Japanese language or experience.
    6 - Girl with some Japanese language, some international experience, and some
    7 - #6’s husband. No language, no teaching experience, some international experience to South America.
    8 - New grad. Some Japanese. Lived in Japan for a year. Master’s degree in philosophy. No teaching experience.
    9 - New grad. Fluent Japanese Language. Lived in Japan every summer for the last 5 years, where he taught English at some language school. 19 years old and already had a masters degree. (Also good looking nice guy. If he wasn’t so nice, I would have hated him…)
    Oooh, ooh, am I number four?! No? Yes? Can't see who else I am...

As for the actual subject, I'm going a completely different way.

IMO, JET won't care what your previous interests were as long as you prove that *now* you are committed to teaching in Japan for at least a year and that you're competent. Mostly. Debatable. So, ok, maybe you don't have any "experience" that one might expect. Write a freaking AMAZING essay about what you want to get from JET, but more importantly what you hope to share with your future community. And when, in your interview, they ask you "Why Japan?" you'll be able to tell them.

Really, if this is what you really want, then there's nothing holding you back. And, in the meantime, maybe volunteer to help a Japanese person better their English. Travel to a local University, you'll probably be able to find something.

Do what you think is best for you. If that means tossing one at JET, then that's what you gotta do.
    "And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
    -Albus PWB Dumbledore

...gimme a break.

The JET application process is mostly random. Apply and you have a 50% chance of acceptance.

The CELTA thing is something I've wanted to do regardless of JET; I just wondered if it might be worth pushing to do it so I could put it on the JET application, as a more objective way of showing the things I want to talk about in my essay.

And despite the fact that I have friends living in Tokyo, I -want- to live somewhere else in Japan. I have never been much of a city person anyway; as long as I have access to it at some point, I could be out in the middle of nowhere and be perfectly content. Don't think I won't mention that.

I wasn't worried about not being a Japan expert, I was just worried about the complete lack of anything even remotely related to Japan, and the fact that my teaching experience was informal, and that I haven't even got a passport yet. I just wanted to be sure the combination wasn't enough to rate them tossing my application before they even GOT to my awesome essay.

Worry assuaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire D View Post

This is pretty much what I meant. Nothing wrong with a hobby, but if one acts as if that's his/her sole purpose for wanting to be in the program, then he/she probably shouldn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvellous Magician View Post
    The JET application process is mostly random. Apply and you have a 50% chance of acceptance.
    It`s way less than 50%. Based on the Chicago numbers, it was more like 25%.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti99 View Post
    This is what I was thinking when I posted. It's one thing to have read manga as a hobby. To go overboard, though, and be a crazy otaku who takes it way too far is not going to score points in the interview. It would paint you as a creepy, culture worshiping freak.
    Exactly.

Unless there is some reason OTHER then it just being a hobbie, don't bring up the anime. Why would you? As above, someone wrote their thesis on it. I ran a business working anime conventions.

If you watched an anime and fell in love with the language or the visual effects and it led you to learn Japanese or change you major to Eastern Studies or something, then yes, feel free to mention it. If you’ve been to every anime convention in a 3 state range and won a handful of costume contests because you love anime, DON’T mention it. That has nothing to do with what you are applying for.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

I hope that one day when I come back to the US, I get invited to do JET interviews, because under my iron fist the minute somebody mentions anime, they're getting cut by me, hahaha.

my kids think im the coolest shit because i watch gintama and onepiece at home. they cant get their heads around it.

one of my kids is obsessed with onepieces zoro and loves my zoro keychain.
    shes awesome.
    she made me a birthday cake.

Quote Originally Posted by thekitkat View Post
    Oooh, ooh, am I number four?! No? Yes? Can't see who else I am...

As for the actual subject, I'm going a completely different way.

IMO, JET won't care what your previous interests were as long as you prove that *now* you are committed to teaching in Japan for at least a year and that you're competent. Mostly. Debatable. So, ok, maybe you don't have any "experience" that one might expect. Write a freaking AMAZING essay about what you want to get from JET, but more importantly what you hope to share with your future community. And when, in your interview, they ask you "Why Japan?" you'll be able to tell them.

Really, if this is what you really want, then there's nothing holding you back. And, in the meantime, maybe volunteer to help a Japanese person better their English. Travel to a local University, you'll probably be able to find something.

Do what you think is best for you. If that means tossing one at JET, then that's what you gotta do.
    You are indeed #4 Ms. Kat. Can you guess who #9 is?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvellous Magician View Post
    Wah...? 50% Are you dreaming? Wasn't there, like, 7000 applicants in the states this year, and just over 1000 short listers...

I've heard 25% a number of times (50% get cut in application, then 50% of remaining applicants get cut in interviews.) But I've also heard that with the contract being extended to 5 years, a lot more peopel are staying longer, so there are less positions available, but the same or even more applicants every year...

I think it dropped to about 20% this year
    Last edited by kalliea; October 2nd, 2008 at 09:34.

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    Wah...? 50% Are you dreaming? Wasn't there, like, 7000 applicants in the states this year, and just over 1000 short listers...

I've heard 25% a number of times (50% get cut in application, then 50% of remaining applicants get cut in interviews.) But I've also heard that with the contract being extended to 5 years, a lot more peopel are staying longer, so there are less positions available, but the same or even more applicants every year...

I think it dropped to about 20% this year
    Yeah that sounds about right to me. The Chicago consulate gave us the exact numbers and each time the number of applicants got cut by a little more than half, so ending with about less than 25% getting accepted in the end.

Should I even bother?
    No.

Default Re: Should I even bother?

yeah don`t bother, JET has nothing to do with actual English teaching, and I`ve got friends vying for placements, so...