Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Q about the medical part of the application...this could be embarrasing.

Default A Q about the medical part of the application...this could be embarrasing.

I am wondering something about this application. I have it completed but not submitted due to one little question I have. Do you have to list an STD that you once had but are no longer affected by? I'll be honest here and admit that I had one of the minor ones. I'm wondering if its something I must mention and if it will ruin my chances. I know some of you may not want to answer this but you could always IM me about it.

Flame on. I know its coming.

Flaming is less fun when they know it's coming. I'll pass.

I have this weird feeling that you would have to mention something like that in that 'undisclosed' part.

If you can get a doctor to sign off you are cured I don't think they will disqualify you for having unprotected sex.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Put it down; and be prepared to answer questions about it in your interview. Everyone makes mistakes, so they're not going to throw your application out just for that.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Thanks for the input. I'll put it down. Do they make you submit a medical history or do you just have to give them a Physicians write off / physical? I'd hate having to deal with that during at interview.

Also, to save face, I wouldn't consider it a mistake. I was with someone for over a year before we went without protection and asked them if they ever had anything, of course they said no. And now here I am, having to put an STD down on a job application. Big thanks to that person.

I may be missing something, but why mention it if you're absolutely cured of it now and there's no chance of it turning your naughty bits into cauliflower again? I got a bad case of the shits in Guatemala last year after making a few mistakes of my own, but I neglected to bring it up as evidence of my commitment to grassroots internationalization.
    Do a barrel roll (Z or R twice)!
    ローリングで弾くんだ (ZかRの2度押し)!

i can see where you're coming from. you had to get it treated, which means you had to see a doctor for it, but now its gone and you would like to avoid the embarrassment of dealing with something that is no longer an issue.

i dont know. i think you should make the call, but it does ask for all medical issues. if it was one of the minor ones like you said, then its probably not a big deal because lots of people get ones like HPV and the like. not that i'm speaking from experience. maybe someone who has gotten in without mentioning something minor can give more advice. i'm still filling my application out.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Still a mistake because you could have insisted on both of you getting tested.
    But bloody hell - I'm just going to assume your ex didn't know they were infected otherwise what an arsehole.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

man, that really sucks. having to put an std on a job application is pretty shitty. i'll give it to you that it wasn't a mistake. lots of couples stop using condoms after a while. at least you didn't go into it without protection from the beginning. but whatever.

this does raise a decent question. at what point does JET check your medical records? do they say you're accepted and then ask you to supply them, or is it the other way around? it would really suck to think you got in and then have some lame medical thing keep you from going.

Make sure you also mention the time you were sent to hospital after drinking Shanghai tap water. Oh and when you were throwing up after those nasty oysters. And don't forget the time you forgot to brush your teeth and noone would talk to you ...

Yep mistakes happen. No need to mention them!
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

christ almighty, they dont give a shit about a bit of knob rot. They want to know if you are going to keel over after 2 months on the job, as long as you aint got the bad AIDs I wouldnt worry about it

haha, after seeing those last two posts things come into perspective.

Honestly, I wouldn't put anything down that you are cured for/done with being affected by. Why should they know about that sort of thing when it's no longer an issue?

I also think if you talk with your doctor about not putting that BS stuff on the certificate, they won't put it on there.

Anyone here know from experience?

Just go to some doctor you've never seen before.

One who doesn't speak English to especially sure?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by curtaineater View Post
    this does raise a decent question. at what point does JET check your medical records? do they say you're accepted and then ask you to supply them, or is it the other way around? it would really suck to think you got in and then have some lame medical thing keep you from going.
    do they? i thought the purpose of the physician form is to have a doctor evaluate your records and determine if you are healthy and physically suitable for the job? i know they do an FBI background check if accepted, but that's for crime of course.

It's a form you give to your doctor after being accepted. I think they give it back to you, so if you don't like it...go to another doctor and have them fill another sheet out.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by 45Djiel View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'll put it down. Do they make you submit a medical history or do you just have to give them a Physicians write off / physical? I'd hate having to deal with that during at interview.

Also, to save face, I wouldn't consider it a mistake. I was with someone for over a year before we went without protection and asked them if they ever had anything, of course they said no. And now here I am, having to put an STD down on a job application. Big thanks to that person.
    Wait wait wait. Not to be nosy, but what STD was it? I just want to be clear when you say you had it but were treated, and are 'not effected' by it now. Were you totally cured? Or was it something that is controlled but uncurable, liky herpies. (spelling?)

If you had ANY illness more than 5 years ago that was treated, cured, and now is not an issue, you don't need to mention it. The end! If you had it more recently but were never hospitalized for it, then just write down the medical name for it and more on. You don't need to give any details! Remember, this isn't your life story you are writing down, it is basiscally a job application! It isn't professional to write something like I got the clap in my throat from blowing this drifter I met in the park when I was really high during college, but don't worry, I've been clean now for 4 years. Is NOT what they need to hear! Just write down gonorrhea, cured, and the year you had it. Thats it!

(Note Djiel - I'm not saying you had gonorrhea, or you got whatever STD you do have from doing something dirty or bad. People get STDs all the time, and a lot of people don't even know they have them, and thus pass them to others, even in monogamous relationships.)
    Last edited by kalliea; September 29th, 2008 at 22:41.

I had HPV. The doctor on campus told me that they saw an incredible amount of HPV cases every day. They said that supposedly half the campus had it, most without knowing it. My last treatment was over six months ago and it hasn't been an issue since. The doctor said my body has gotten rid of the virus that makes it contagious and I'll no longer have outbreaks.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Oh my god! You are freaking about about confessing HPV?! Just write it down, ya crazy person! In urban areas, HPV is incredibly prelevent. For people 18-25 it is something like 57%! Don't worry about, just write it down. That is not a big deal at all.