View Poll Results: Forms Due Soon! Feb!!!

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 30.49%
  • No

25 30.49%
  • Unsure

26 31.71%
  • Hoping to change jobs/placements

6 7.32%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Recontracting?

Yes, yes, and yes. I feel like I got extremely lucky with this placement - there's hardly anything about it I don't like. Barring some kind of DRASTIC change in the way things are going right now, I won't be leaving any time soon.
    I was drunk at the beach and fell into a ditch.

I probably won't get a choice to recontract because the second they picked me up they were all like, "Alright! Let's enjoying together these 2 years with you! OK DESU!!??"

So, they basically think I'm staying for at least 2 years and I'm pretty sure expect me to stay 2 years. Going to suck for them if I decide not to re-contract. I don't hate my job at all, but everything else is pretty lame. Is there such a thing as being too tired to drink? Because that's the point I'm at now...
    I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.

Munchlax ...? I remember Snorlax but kind of lost interest after Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow.

That one looks genki enough to be an elementary ALT or something.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    Munchlax ...? I remember Snorlax but kind of lost interest after Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow.

That one looks genki enough to be an elementary ALT or something.
    Munchlax is the un-evolved form of the Snorlax. It sucks up food like a hoover vacuum and is energetic as hell. After its eaten enough, it evolves into Snorlax and goes to sleep.
    "Cleopatra has her epic. Ghandi is working on his buddy cop film with George Washington Carver, and Mother Theresa has her teen slasher sex romp"
    - Abe Lincoln, from Clone High

Last edited by aj19; October 3rd, 2010 at 14:47.

Like a sexy man in your life? Ooooo, BURNED! I am the insult master!

I love it here, and my placement is actually pretty sweet, but situations at home are complicated so I'm gonna probably leave after this year. Unless something magically happens that fixes everything, which even if steps were being taken it probably wouldn't resolve in time for me to stay another year anyway.

I'd feel worse about not recontracting if I didn't know in my heart that I will end up back here one day. I decided I would study abroad in Japan and do JET when I was in 8th grade, and I've made both happen. I'm sure I could do it again.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

I should mention JET was just my stepping stone to get a job here that's not teaching. I have a friend from college who was able to do it, and from anecdotal evidence on the internet, it sounds possible if your determined enough. However, doing a second year wouldn't be bad though, easy money for an easy job that's guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by munchlax View Post
    I probably won't get a choice to recontract because the second they picked me up they were all like, "Alright! Let's enjoying together these 2 years with you! OK DESU!!??"

So, they basically think I'm staying for at least 2 years and I'm pretty sure expect me to stay 2 years. Going to suck for them if I decide not to re-contract. I don't hate my job at all, but everything else is pretty lame. Is there such a thing as being too tired to drink? Because that's the point I'm at now...
    Haha yeah same here. The first time I met one of my JTE's she was like "OK so you're staying for at least 2 or 3 years right?!" And all I could say was "we'll see..."

I go back and forth with my feelings about recontracting. I've had great times but not so great times as well. We'll see...

Who gives a shit about what your supervisor or school says, there's a chance that these people will be transferred when the new school year starts anyway. Do what you want to do, how you fell about the job and your life here. If you don't like it, then don't recontract, they'll forget about you when the next ALT comes as they've forgotten the previous ones. Don't feel any obligation to the school, only do what makes you happy.
    http://tokyoscum.blogspot.com/ I'm a complete dick or your money back!

GentleよりWildに, WildよりDangerous, 試してみれば!

さいて! さいた! 風に揺られて
    おだやかな坂は薄化粧
    下駄鳴らして口笛合わせ
    凛として はんなりの こころ

東方封魔録

Oneiro -

NYC is the exception to the rule. Amtrak trains (the only trains in the USA) are usually either 3 hours late or 20 minutes too early. Metro North commuter trains in and out of NYC however are like mediocre JR trains - punctual, but only frequent during rush hour.

Japanese society is I think more tense and uptight as lots of people - not just i-bankers - are staying at work until 10 pm every day (and then jumping in front of trains). Also, outside of Tagawa where people are above such petty bullshit, people look at me REAL funny when I eat or drink on the go. It amazes me. Who could be bothered to care about something like that? Get a hobby!

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by ajoyce1985 View Post
    This is a year break for me between undergrad. and law school. Unlike most people, I didn't even really have a particular interest in Japan or the language...just a sort of working vacation, you know? See a different culture and all that, but could have been anywhere for me. So, highly doubtful, unless some unforeseen circumstance changes my mind...

I totally understand that. In fact, I much like teh ALTs like you rather than the Anime-obsessed ones who are here.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

I have not received anything yet. I was not aware we get these forms this early. Does the school even really want us to fill out these forms right now if we have only been hear a little over a month??? Even though some of my classes and situations are not that great, I have enough good reasons to stay another year.

But I am at a private school, so who knows how things work...

I might consider re-contracting if I could just drop my visit school. Every Monday is like descending into the lowest layer of Hell upon walking into that God forsaken shit building...

I'm on my second year right now. And I'm about 65-35 leaning towards recontracting. I want to get better at my language skills before I leave. So I'm really not sure. I'm going home over winter break for 3 weeks... once I get some feelers out there (job opportunities back home and what not), I can make a better decision. But I'm leaning closer to staying a 3rd year and getting a good start to a life savings (just getting out of debt now... so any money I save will be towards "down the line")
    With a belt on my head, underpants over my shorts, and my sidekick Quaildog... I AM QUAILMAN

Power, Patience, Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Yesterday I went and picked up an iPhone4 and my girlfriend fucking dropped it before I could put it in the case. The screen is fine, but the edges are scuffed a little. I was gonna punch her but she started crying so I just slapped her really hard instead.

hmmm.....

As much as finding a new job and moving away from my very sweet apartment in Japan scares me, I think 4 years is enough for this ALT.

Seeing as how my 4th year was just an excuse to spend more time traveling and SCUBA diving anyways....

Though my other goal of marrying a super rich doctor has yet to pan out for me.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    Definitely hearing this!
    Me three. I have never felt more useless in my entire life than I have felt at this shite job. And the more I complain, the worse it seems to get.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Narniaru! I'm sorry it is sucking. Try not to dwell on all the shit aspects and think of all your lovely, beautiful and amazing friends, the random fun mental times you have and all those amusing WTF? moments.

what the fuck? are you high?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Switches View Post
    Narniaru! I'm sorry it is sucking. Try not to dwell on all the shit aspects and think of all your lovely, beautiful and amazing friends, the random fun mental times you have and all those amusing WTF? moments.
    Oh totally, if I did not have that, I would have been on the first plane out of here
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"