Thread: "Everyday Questions" warm-up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "Everyday Questions" warm-up

This is an activity that works well as a warm-up, but you can probably adapt it to other concepts as well. Most importantly, it can get your students used to answering simple questions about themselves without freezing up.

Warm-up Title: Everyday Questions
    Aimed at: Junior High 3rd year and above (would work for 2nd years as well if simplified to 10-15 questions)
    Included: worksheet, MS Word .doc format

Warm-up aim: Get your students to respond to English in English. Make answering questions in English a simple task instead of one that is too difficult to fathom. Increase their abilities to communicate confidently in English.

Worksheet format: 21 basic questions presented with the question, a standard answer format, and an example. Easy to modify with more or fewer questions, addition of clip art, etc.

Example entry:

• How long does it take you to get to school?
    A: It takes me _______ by _______. (δΎ‹) It takes me 10 minutes by bike.

Using it: Introduce the worksheet in class with your JTE (or can be done by the JTE alone). Go over the meaning of the questions and check for understanding. Do not spend too much time on it, the students should be able to manage the questions fairly well since they are pretty basic.

From the following class you can use the questions in a warm-up. I suggest a form of "hot potato" where you play music and have them pass around an item from person to person, and when the music stops, you ask the person holding the item a question. (the cheesier the music the better, just make sure it's upbeat.)

For some reason, I am unable to view the attached file. Help please.
    "I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office."
    Washington DC, 12 May, 2008 GWB

Thanks for these.