Thread: Consulate Info Sessions

Default Consulate Info Sessions

The San Francisco Consulate General of Japan is hosting a few information sessions this month. I'm curious if anyone else has had any experience with such things.

Do they rehash what's on the website, or more? Do you get a chance to talk to anyone, or is it more of a lecture? What about the ones with Panel Discussions?

They are pretty much just recruitment panels. I went to one a couple years ago and they played a tape that showed the day in the life of genki JETs.

They go into the details of the job, the pay, tokyo orientation. The one I went to had a few (like 4) ex-JETs there to give some of their story and answer any questions.
    If anything, it is worth going to just to be a familiar face just in case you interview with any of them.

Those genki JET videos they play are great. I remember one they showed at one of our consulate's Q and As showed some dude who lived in inaka-ville and how he loved his "easygoing" life so much.

Most probably failed to notice that when they shot some video of his apartment, there was a box by the door filled with many empty beer bottles. They should be more frank about the fact that beer will likely be the only thing keeping one sane for the next year in your tiny little town.

Haha, patjs, if I wasn't already thinking of going to the info session at my school, spotting easter eggs like that in the video would have convinced me!

Man, I hope I don't get a tiny little town, beer still tastes like what I'd imagine piss to.