Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween lesson?

Bilbo's Cloak of Geekery goloons's Avatar

Default Halloween lesson?

I'm looking for tips on how to do a Halloween lesson for middle schoolers. I`ve already put together a bunch of flashcards with words like "witch" and "jack-o-lantern." I can't do a party, so I'm trying to teach more about the idea of Halloween. I'll do the party at my eikaiwa class a few days later. Help please!

Last year for a Halloween lesson I did Halloween Bingo. Here's a link to a bingo card generator. Just input all of the Halloween words you want to use, choose the number of bingo cards and create.

http://print-bingo.com/g.php?gp
    also
    http://eslactivities.com/bingo

I also found a good Halloween cloze activity from http://www.johnsesl.com
    It may be a bit much for JHS students though.

I have also had success with holiday word searches in the past. It's easy to find a variety to choose from with a google search.

Good luck.
    "I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office."
    Washington DC, 12 May, 2008 GWB

Even if you can't give them candy, what about letting them make masks out of paper? Then they could do a really simple dialogue about their mask.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Default Re: Halloween lesson?

On this note...I have to teach my elementary school kdis about Halloween. The first and 2nd years can't really write yet, so bingo and word searches are out. Any other ideas?

United States; Hoboken NJ Fujisato, Akita

I am having them make Jack-o-lanterns out of paper, and if they let me, i plan on doing a little trick or treating demo and give them candy for it.
    Superman once wrote on the wall: "Batman is a wimp."
    The next day Batman wrote: "Superman is Clark Kent."

kalliea I don't think bingo is out for 1st and 2nd, cause you can make it with pictures instead of words.

I kinda want to do a Halloween lesson but I didn't really celebrate it as a kid, or actually go to school for 7 years, so I am by far no expert. Also I think these kids have had Halloween lessons for their entire elementary school careers...so maybe it would only be fun and new for the ichinenseis.

Halloween haikus? They're easier than Calista Flockhart, and damn, what an amazing way to mesh our two great cultures together and all that horseshit.
    Do a barrel roll (Z or R twice)!
    ローリングで弾くんだ (ZかRの2度押し)!

Bilbo's Cloak of Geekery goloons's Avatar

My fourth years today said they had never heard of Halloween before during the lesson. So I guess ESID.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

So, it took me a bit, but I finally came up with a game for the younger kids.

They learned body parts two weeks ago (head, arm, leg, ect…) so, we did a Mummy wrap game for Halloween.

Split the kids into small teams, maybe 3-6 kids. Have them rock paper scissor until there is one winner. Have the winners from each team stand up. Then break out the toilet paper. Give two or three rolls of paper to each team. Then, review the body parts real quick.

The game: You say a body part, the kids wrap it on their mummy. Like…right leg, left arm, body, head, ect. Great fun.

NOTE: Take the beginning of the class to talk about Halloween and explain monsters and mummies and so forth. (I had to explain in (really bad) Japanese the origins of Halloween, but the kids loved it.)

Lol wow thats a pretty cool idea, I think I might use that for my third graders in elementary school.

Go for it. It was great. The teachers couldn:t figure out why I brought all this toilet paper, and why it was sitting on my desk. The first class I am going over the Halloween flash cards with the kids, and when we get to Mummy, the teacher just BURST out laughing. It is a bit of a mess, but even the teachers like it.

Also, you can do a long version or a short verion. For young kids, I didn't teach them left and right, just legs, arms, head, and body. So the game took less than 20 minutes. That was you can do some other stuff to.
    Last edited by kalliea; October 16th, 2008 at 09:23.

Tried it Kall and it was awesome, they loved it, I think im going to use it for my 1st graders on Halloween, since that will be the same week we do the Yumi broke her arm skit.

Thanks for the idea!!

I had a really good Halloween lesson today... I made a haunted house with lots of doors on it that you could open. In class I stuck this to the blackboard and then hid things behind each window: ghosts, witch, candy etc. There were only 7 kids in the class, but if it was bigger I might use teams, I wrote their names on the board and then allotted points to each halloween item. Candy was 10 points and the others were 1. Then each kid had to come up, say trick or treat, knock on the door and see what was behind it. Then they had to say the name of whatever was behind the door to get the points. Each time someone got candy they all had to close their eyes and I rejigged the pieces about. These kids were 1/2 nenseis at elementary school and went completely crazy for it. Did karuta and learned the vocab before hand.
    Hardest bit was trying to teach them the word "treat" think someone else has commented on this as well they don't seem to be able to hear a difference between trick and treat

How exactly did you make a haunted house?

Took a big, I think A3, sheet of cardboard - drew the outline of a haunted house, with bats stuff flying about. Then drew about 7 doors and cut them out so they opened. I used magnets to stick to the board. I printed out the halloween clip art, zombies, witch etc and backed it on to card.
    It's fair to say I have way to much free time, but embarking on extensive arts and crafts projects makes the day go that bit quicker

Ahh ok! Yeah, I like making crafty things too! It really passes the time.

I think for my Halloween lesson I'm going to do something like the trick-or-treat game mentioned here: http://www.teachenglishinasia.net/forum-22 I have to do a Halloween lessons with my 1st year SHS students, so we'll see how this goes...

I'm embarking on a mask making extravaganza with the children at one of my elementary schools this week. I dont know much about Halloween really being that I am British and we don't quite take it as serious as the Americans do (if trick or treaters come to your door nowadays and you give them nothing you'll probably get knifed...) so yeah.

Im gonna start by doing some halloween flashcards and then move into mask making. The school doesnt care a great deal about such things so thats all they want me to do with them, fine by me really hehe.

Yeah I'm English and don't really give a shit about Halloween. The kids at elementary seem to proper love it though and it makes for a fairly easy lesson. Last year when I was a student I forgot it was Halloween night and gave the kids cereal bars (possibly out of date).
    Mask making sounds good - do you give them ideas or just free reign? Would a 45 minute period be long enough do you think?

what about the SHS students, anyone have any thoughts? i'm trying to think of some good listening activities. here are some of my ideas so far:

- writing a simple "story" about Halloween then using it 1) for a cloze activity, and/or 2) having the students listen and answer questions
    - showing clips from Nightmare Before Christmas or a Charlie Brown Halloween movie and doing some listening activities with that
    - Halloween facts read and run
    - drawing pumpkin faces that express a feeling, having students match them to the right word

those are just my intitial ideas, still working on things. (in other words, some may suck. please be gentle. )

A friend of mine showed Thriller for here SHS lesson, and she said it went over really well, I am not exactly sure what she did with it but the song is a good 8 minutes so it takes up a bit of time if you need it.