Thread: How many lessons per week are you teaching?

Default How many lessons per week are you teaching?

I'm curious how many lessons everyone has to teach each week. My supervisor gave me my schedule yesterday and I will be teaching 5 classes per week. FIVE!? It's one of the top academic high schools, so that's good, but I'm a little worried about being under-utilized! I'll be helping other teachers w/ things like translations, listening tests, etc., but don't think that will take up TOO much time. I used to teach in Czech Republic and had 29 classes/week on my own.

One of my friends just told me she'll be teaching 17 classes/week. Then again, "every situation is different..." (anyone tired of hearing that yet? but it's so true!)

Czech Republic? Hey, that's where I got my TEFL...

I'm teaching 12 classes a week - which is pretty good. It keeps me out of trouble yet lets me relax and do other things throughout the day.

C.

i alternate
    one week 13 the next week 10....i also have 2 english clubs and an adult conversation thing..

i like the balance and think this is a good amount. leaving me enough time to work on japanese lessons and thesis

I teach about 20 lessons per week, as well as an hour of English Club. I think this is more than most JETs, but I like it as it keeps me busy (especially as I don't have much to plan!)
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

me, 12 lessons per week. all of first grade and then the two second grade english course and two third grade english course. which means children who are VERY keen to learn english. I'm busy on the net or making handouts for the lessons! I've been cutting out my calvin and hobbes from the daily yomiuri and blanking out the speech and having them fill in the blanks with their own!
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

I take 19 classes a week.
    I have never taught before either but still find time to sit around writing comments on this site.

Taking lessons from my supervisor who goes into a coma before he has to teach.

I currently have 3 or 4 lessons a day.... but I find they are over really quickly. I prefer to be in a lesson rather than just sitting at my desk feeling forgotten!

holy schmoly...i have 22 classes in each of my jhs then 4 kids at each school whom i have to train for speech contests..in the beginning i thought "holy shit, maybe i should have been a coal miner" but alas, the classes do fly by and there quite fun apart from one JTE who is a real grammar queen and wont let me have any imput incase i upstage her i guess...the only negative to this is that there is a mighty huge jazz festival this weekend in sendai with over 500 bands all for free with booze being drank in the street but i have to attend school over the weekend for the school festival but you take the rough with smooth as someone once said

I thought I had 19 between my two JHS but today 3 evaporated into "if we want you you can do these" as they were classes I would be teaching once to already to leave 16.

So the schedule is 4/3/3/4/2 and one of the classes is the special kids so there's only two in it. Today I did an intro for them then we drew pictures of our summer holidays.

One of my JHS splits the classes in two however, so I do 2x25 min classes in place of a 50 min one. Technically I can claim 20 classes that way

How I envy you all. As someone who likes to keep busy you make me very jealous. Let's see, this week: 0. Last week:2 Approximate number of classes since January of this year: 12. It's quite sad, really :cry: , I miss my students! (last year was about 6 per week).

14 a week. About 3 a day. Never first period!

So far I've had about one a day (some none, some two), but I've been told that after the Sports Festival this weekend, I'll have three or four a day. The kids have been getting out of classes to practice songs and cheers and such. Ninth grade boys with pom-poms...okay.
    It's definitely been a bit dull with this little to do. So far I've found anagrams of my name, learned 150 Japanese words, memorized a few poems, and just plain wasted a good many hours.
    I was a little surprised, though, that they just started throwing me into regular class with the normal content -- nobody really wanted big self-introductions like i've read about other people doing. My intros have ranged from "This is Amanda-sensei. Repeat after her." to asking me where I'm from, how old I am, and whether I'm married. Two minutes, tops. It's okay with me, though, since I didn't bring many pictures of home except on my computer.

I am teaching 8 first year classes a week which I do the lesson plans for,(I have first period everyday though ) but since I have an IT background and because I have made friends with the IT/ English teacher, next week I will join 2 3rd year IT classes and lend them a hand, bringing my total to 10 classes a week. And once I pick up more Japanese I will be able to help a lot more i think. They have also put me incharge of updating the schools English website, so I will have something to keep me busy since it's a pretty big task and I want to do it well. And I am one of the teachers incharge of the international club which meets 2 times a week after school.

I love my school!!!