Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: How much do you save per month?

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by kawaii_candie View Post
    are we having this conversation again? geez... some people are just cheap and that's the way it is.

my pred left me all her stuff for free, even the stuff she'd bought herself and i'm planning to do the same. and god knows i bought a lot of stuff already. the only reason i might not leave them to my successor when i leave would be if i decide to move somewhere else in Japan... then obviously, i would take my stuff with me...
    My pred totally fucked me over, but I don't plan on doing the to my successor.

When all is said and done, I will have a least a car, bed, couch, and TV bought with my own money. I'll try and sell everything before I leave at a regular price, then at a fraction of the to my successor.

Default Re: How much do you save per month?

I have bought since arriving: a rice cooker, a microwave/toaster/convection oven, a table, a tv, a couch, a bookcase, a shelf for the laundry area, a vaccum, curtains, and a double size futon set. It's a mixture of new and recycle-shop stuff that's probably worth about 7 man. I would probably have to let it go for 2 man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Doesn't do O-ramas

i agree with heartnana, id much rather start with an empty apartment and buy my own NEW shit that i actually like and want, piece by piece, even if it is more difficult.

my pred asked me if i wanted any of the shit, like the old nasty ass long-faded "blue" couch or the bed, and i said NOPE NOTHING and he even emailed me again, "are you SURE you dont want the bed, not even for the first few nights youre here?" "NOPE, please get rid of it."

i showed up and every piece of shit here i didnt want was here. sure i was charged nothing, because everything is worth nothing. i am the proud owner of a nasty stained bed with about 9 broken springs in it

that said, the only thing im charging my successor for is the goddamn AC thing i bought. i paid nearly 8 man for a brand new National AC unit that blows cold as fuck--and is now blowing hot as fuck as a heater. without that, life here would be utterly, UTTERLY miserable.

im charging my pred 4 man, which i think is more than reasonable for what is hands down the best money ever spent. COLD ass ac in the summer, HOT heat in the winter--none of those space heaters, fuck that. if my pred doesnt give it to me i seriously might look into uninstalling it and taking it to my next place where i likely will have a shitty old ac unit that doesnt work nearly as well as this one

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

So puma, what will you do if your successor doesn't want to buy it and you can't sell it anywhere else?

(This is my big concern for my car...)

keep it, you fucking 1 year tourists make me sick

Eh, different strokes for different folks. I think that arriving to a dead empty apartment when you don't know much about the area and possibly the language would be pretty overwhelming. Like I said, I'll give a good deal for my stuff, and it's all stuff that would be extremely useful. If they don't pay for it, then I'll sell it off, might leave a few things like the bed and couch since those aren't worth the hassle of selling off. However, if my successor gives me attitude about ripping them off or whatever nonsense they might pick up from a site like this, I'll take the extra effort of throwing everything out and leaving them with absolutely nothing.
    http://tokyoscum.blogspot.com/ I'm a complete dick or your money back!

GentleよりWildに, WildよりDangerous, 試してみれば!

さいて! さいた! 風に揺られて
    おだやかな坂は薄化粧
    下駄鳴らして口笛合わせ
    凛として はんなりの こころ

東方封魔録

My pred was a total bitch and made me pay 7 man (and that was WAY less than her asking price) for nasty, nasty crap that I'm putting out every non-burnable day and replacing as time goes on. I even had to paint the walls that she left nasty dirty and the stupidly painted toilet room (which was navy blue with effing fish stickers on the wall). My place was such a dump until I moved in. Obviously I'm still bitter for how much I paid her.

Anyways, I'm trying to save at least 5 man every month to send home for loans. I think that's more than reasonable...

Doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    So puma, what will you do if your successor doesn't want to buy it and you can't sell it anywhere else?

(This is my big concern for my car...)
    as i said, id think about taking it with me to my next place and taking out whatever likely old shitty one is there and putting my nice shiny new excellent unit in, hell its only connected to the wall with a couple brackets and a hose going through the wall to the unit sitting out on my balcony, couldnt be too hard to take out

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Well, in the first year i was here i paid off my $10,000 loan, second year i saved $10,000 in the bank, third year started off good, then after my wife had to stop worki ng at the end of her pregnancy and for 8 months in total I was only able to save about $500 a month, now we moved to a nicer apartment, and my wife is back to a part time job at AEON and I can save about $1,000 a month now, so if that lasts the rest of this(JET) year and all next year i should be able to go home debt free with about 20-30 grand in cash....unless we have more kiddos...oh and yeah that means i will have been on jet the full 5 years.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Wow. That is almost exactly my goal. I want to save about $25k and pay off my $10k debt in 4 years. Nice to know it is really possible.

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    Wow. That is almost exactly my goal. I want to save about $25k and pay off my $10k debt in 4 years. Nice to know it is really possible.
    Wait, you`re going to stay here 4 years? Damn I have to look forward to your bitching on here as long as I stay on JET?

Pray my will power improves. As soon as I've saved up that much AND passed 2kyu I'll go home. Deal?

Jboze, it looks like your stuck with her.
    It's time to start thinking outside the conbini here, people.

Quote Originally Posted by juliemrsn View Post
    My pred was a total bitch and made me pay 7 man (and that was WAY less than her asking price) for nasty, nasty crap that I'm putting out every non-burnable day and replacing as time goes on. I even had to paint the walls that she left nasty dirty and the stupidly painted toilet room (which was navy blue with effing fish stickers on the wall). My place was such a dump until I moved in. Obviously I'm still bitter for how much I paid her.

Anyways, I'm trying to save at least 5 man every month to send home for loans. I think that's more than reasonable...
    What, she put a gun to your head and made you accept the deal?