Thread: Touchy-feely students

Default Touchy-feely students

hmmm so how is everyone else coping with students who seem determined to lay hands on you at every opportunty? I don`t mean in a sexual manner... for example yesterday a kid followed me down the corridor (It`s a long corridor) whilst walking on his tipltoes so that he could keep his hand on my shoulder. I felt really awkward about it, but the kid was just being friendly and I`ve noticed that they sometimes do the same kind of thing to the other teachers.
    Another Kid was fascinated by the blond hairs on my arms and kept stroking my arm which made me feel uncomfortable!

Awww Dave's got fans.

You could dye your hair black to fit in~
    You could ask them "nanka okashii desu ka?" if you wanna be dickish~
    Or you could say "ato de chodai" if you're okay with them checking out the foreigner on your time, not anytime~

Have fun Dave~

At first I read this and I though "Hmm, that's a little strange", and then I thought bak to my own experiences in high school and juniour high, and recalled that, no, it's maybe not very strange. I've seen a teacher walk down the hall and have a student take a running leap onto his back. I've seen teachers have their beauty and brains serenaded by boys dressed as Elizabethan playwrites during school assemblies. It could be worse.
    All through the night
    Stray cat is crying, so stray cat sings back

my students run into the office in the morning to give me a hug and we are talking 15 years old boys as well..
    to be honest , it does not make me uncomfortable as students in south africa are also very affectionate, so i am used to it and we have not got to that stage where teachers are prohibited from ever touching the students ( as ive heard it is in some western countries)..
    try take it as a compliment..it means the students are comfortable with you

In the big, boring middle of my long book of life...

Personally, I've grown rather dissatisfied with the "Hands Off" policy that's come to exist here in the USA. When *I* was in school, we were allowed to simply treat people as friends, including touching. (We even had Corporal Punishment in my school in Texas! Sure different from Japan, ne?)

Now, I admit, a bunch of 15-year-olds grabbing hold of me *would* be a bit odd at first, but I don't mind so much... I'd get used to it pretty fast.

Long as they weren't goosing me or anything.

But I think that touch is a very important part of bonding. It adds weight and depth to any relationship, even student-teacher. You just have to keep it appropriate, and not over-do it. And remember that not everyone wants to be touched... keep your perspective, and learn as you go, I say. But doing away with it in some sort of litigous fear, like we've done here in the US, seems counter-productive and distracting. Take it as a cultural difference, and go with it.
    "Apparently, this is the price I pay for years of screwing with Super-Science."
    -Dr. Venture

That kind of thing happens a lot in Asia, Paul! It gives us foreign teachers a bad name.

And you guys should come and work at my school; no one ever touches anybody!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

VIP

I got a running jumping hug from one of the male students at my JHS. I was a bit surprised, but no one's done it since, so maybe all his mates made fun of him or something!

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Okay an update....

now the kids come in to the staffroom and give the teachers shoulder massages!
    weird....but actually kinda good.. 8)

Why don't I get shoulder massages?
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Well, depending on how good your kids are, you may be getting shoulder messages instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Why don't I get shoulder massages?
    Do you have shoulders?

That explains it! Thanks, Dave.