Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: JLPT

Quote Originally Posted by Atalante View Post
    I took 4kyu my first year here, came here with no Japanese ability whatsoever.

Level 4 is the easiest test, but don't fool yourself thinking it's a free pass if you don't keep up on studying.

I mean, the stuff is technically easy, but for someone without much experience or time to study, it's very difficult. You really need to know your particles, grammar points, and vocabulary. Only need around 80 kanji so those should be free points provided you take the time to remember them. It's definitely 100% doable taking and passing the test in December after arriving in August with no ability, but you will have to study and prepare for it. Really, all about motivation. I'd say an hour of studying a day will prepare you no problem.
    Thanks for the reply - do you have any recommendations of books or programs that you found effective? Did you end up taking any courses or just doing it on your own? Studying for the level 4 should at least give me some Japanese knowledge ability to help with day to day life.

Default Re: JLPT

My city offered classes which I took, but I also did a fair amount of self-study.

I used the book series "Minna no Nihongo", although I've heard good things about "Shin Nihongo no Kuso" as well, I used their higher level textbooks and found them decent. If you clear one of those books and understand everything, you'll have no problem on the test, I think.

Also, best advice I can give you is dive right into kanji. Those books write kanji with the hiragana characters above them...most beginners just write things in hiragana which I think is a bad habit. If you force yourself to use kanji from the very beginning, it'll be much easier for you to pick up and you'll have a good advantage.
    http://tokyoscum.blogspot.com/ I'm a complete dick or your money back!

GentleよりWildに, WildよりDangerous, 試してみれば!

さいて! さいた! 風に揺られて
    おだやかな坂は薄化粧
    下駄鳴らして口笛合わせ
    凛として はんなりの こころ

東方封魔録

I'm taking 2 kyuu after being in Japan for a year. Before that I had a little introduction to kana and basic grammar but not much. I study a lot.

My books and study path are a bit different than Atalante's.

In order
    Genki I
    Genki II
    (Kanji in Context)
    J-Bridge to Intermediate Japanese
    Writing Letters in Japanese
    Formal Expressions for Japanese Interaction
    Dictionary of Japanese Grammar - Basic/Intermediate

Kanji in Context is an ongoing project. I recomend starting this book after you get a good amount of basic Japanese under your belt.

J-Bridge is an all Japanese text, the listening portion of the book is the most natural I've ever found so far. A lot of the grammar points are already covered in the Genki series but everything is in Japanese so it's a good transition type of text.

Writing letters and the grammar books I keep for reference.

I'm looking for a teacher to help me go through formal expressions. The tapes, yes tapes, no cds, are really hard to find.
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; April 9th, 2009 at 14:03.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Quote Originally Posted by Atalante View Post
    although I've heard good things about "Shin Nihongo no Kuso"
    I'm going to be that guy and say you probably meant "Shin Nihongo no Kiso." Just to protect the poor Googlers.

Yeah, that. I'm sure that a kuso book would be educational as well though, haha.
    http://tokyoscum.blogspot.com/ I'm a complete dick or your money back!

GentleよりWildに, WildよりDangerous, 試してみれば!

さいて! さいた! 風に揺られて
    おだやかな坂は薄化粧
    下駄鳴らして口笛合わせ
    凛として はんなりの こころ

東方封魔録

I kind of want to take the 2-kyuu level this year since I'll be in Japan. Except it's on the day of my 22nd birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by capn jazz View Post
    I kind of want to take the 2-kyuu level this year since I'll be in Japan. Except it's on the day of my 22nd birthday.
    Take a few extra hours out of your day, and then celebrate a lot after? I mean, I think that would give an excuse to party twice as hard.

A few hours? Try half a day. Depending on where the testing location is, add more time.

I'm about to send in my JLPT registration. Do you all know whether the deadline concerns when the application must be in by, or when it must be postmarked by?

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Postmarked by May 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Gusuke View Post
    Postmarked by May 1st
    Oh shitballs, I gotta get my ass in gear. Do you have to buy the application at a bookstore?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    Oh shitballs, I gotta get my ass in gear. Do you have to buy the application at a bookstore?
    Yeah; I ended up calling the JLPT people since there wasn't a bookstore selling listed on their site for my prefecture.

thx gusuke. I actually headed out from school to go home, fill out the app, and get it sent, but I didn't realize how involved the beast was. Gonna have to send it on Friday, it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusuke View Post
    Postmarked by May 1st
    Is that for the December date? o_O;;;;;

Quote Originally Posted by Komadori View Post
    Is that for the December date? o_O;;;;;
    No, they're talking about the July test. Don't worry, you have time

Quote Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
    No, they're talking about the July test. Don't worry, you have time
    PHEW! Thanks. Good to know. I'm pretty sure I have the 80 kanji down. It's more going over grammar and vocab at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Komadori View Post
    PHEW! Thanks. Good to know. I'm pretty sure I have the 80 kanji down. It's more going over grammar and vocab at this point.
    Are you going for 4-kyuu?? I think that you have more than enough time to get up to speed on 3-kyuu...the difference isn't that huge, and if you're willing to sit down and learn the language you'll be able to do it, no problem. And once you get to Japan you'll have both the time and means to get there

Quote Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
    Are you going for 4-kyuu?? I think that you have more than enough time to get up to speed on 3-kyuu...the difference isn't that huge, and if you're willing to sit down and learn the language you'll be able to do it, no problem. And once you get to Japan you'll have both the time and means to get there
    Oh, really? Silly me for assuming. I thought you had to take one before the other. Yeah, if I can go for #3, I will! Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by kingmongkut View Post
    thx gusuke. I actually headed out from school to go home, fill out the app, and get it sent, but I didn't realize how involved the beast was. Gonna have to send it on Friday, it looks like.
    That application was such a twat.

¥ 500 Fee to buy the application
    ¥ 600 Fee to have photo taken
    ¥ 240 Postage
    ¥ 120 Postal furikomi fee
    ¥ 5500 Application fee
    ------
    ¥ 6960 One big ripoff

I had to write my girlfriend's address as my own in order to get a seating as close to Tokyo as possible. Stupid pain in the ass, that application was!

Last edited by Hyakuman; May 7th, 2009 at 10:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    That application was such a twat.

¥ 500 Fee to buy the application
    ¥ 600 Fee to have photo taken
    ¥ 240 Postage
    ¥ 120 Postal furikomi fee
    ¥ 5500 Application fee
    ------
    ¥ 6960 One big ripoff

I had to write my girlfriend's address as my own in order to get a seating as close to Tokyo as possible. Stupid pain in the ass, that application was!

SERIOUSLY

why they don't do this online and have you pay via credit card or money order is beyond me.