Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what's the Application-Interview-Departure process for Interac?

Well both Heart English and RCS replied to my CV/Cover Letter/App and sent their contract over to me. My wife only received from Heart. So I suppose the next step if confirming an interview....

Default Re: So what's the Application-Interview-Departure process for Interac?

I am currently working fro interac. Wakatta is pretty dead on with the working conditions, although I think I am having an easier time in the Hamamatsu branch. They do nitpick too much. And the guy they send to critique you is a monster. but as for the interview process...

Was a year ago, but I remember it was great. Not at all like Aeon, which was horrible. Or Nova, which was bimioo. They were extremely honest and really seemed to care about my interests. I wanted to go to somewhere near Nara, and they put me as close as they possible could. I really couldn't ask for a better place than where I am. Anyway, at the interview, the biggest thing is the video. Just be cheerful and smile and I think that's all you need. Like, sickingly cheerful. And don't look scared. And they will ask you who the Prime Minister of Japan at the moment is (it's Aso right now). Noone likes him. He is alot like bush, messing up his Japanese, making false promises that he is going to give everyone in Japan money, and generally looking stupid. He almost dropped the Emporer's Cup at the recent sumo tournament. And they will ask you something recent that happened in Japan. As you can tell I spell bad, so don't worry about that. Just be genki.

Quote Originally Posted by Oonter View Post
    Well both Heart English and RCS replied to my CV/Cover Letter/App and sent their contract over to me. My wife only received from Heart. So I suppose the next step if confirming an interview....
    If anyone cares, we had our phone interview with Heart which was a lot easier than I expected. They accepted us two days later and we're going with them. We leave in 2 months and are both very very excited.!!

I care. Keep us posted.
    always a JETsmaid, never a JET.

Quote Originally Posted by curtaineater View Post
    I care. Keep us posted.
    Thanks! I definitely will. We promised our family lots of blogs, vlogs, and pictures.

I read your other topic about JET alternatives. If you can't find too much info on Heart, I'll fill you in privately as our months progress.

Wow if even half of this stuff about Interac is true, I don't see why anyone would want to work for them. Lower pay and benefits is one thing, but an inefficient and insensitive bureaucracy is another. Controlling people through intimidation isn't very nice either. I think I'll be politely declining their interview offer.

Thanks for the information Wakka, Oneiro, Joe, and reed

Why don't you interview and then see how it is for yourself? It looks like many of the problems were the result of being offered a different job than the one people hoped for. If thats the case you can politely decline then. I'll happily interview with interac and then take a look at any contracts that come my way. Of course, I'll read them very carefully.

As of now the order in which I want to be hired by the JET alternatives is Altia, Interac, Heart. I'm having a hell of a time finding first hand info on either Altia or heart, though there seems to be a general hatred for heart. The majority of it seems faceless (ie. not coming from primary sources) but I'm sure that hatred is out there for a reason. With altia I cant find anything good or bad, so i'll take that as a good sign.

i just hope im not stuck with fucking leo palace...
    Last edited by curtaineater; February 3rd, 2009 at 17:49.

Interac probably is not that bad of a company. There are way too many negative things of Interac floating around to ignore. Even their website seems kind of sketchy to me.

JET sounds like the best option in terms of job security, support network, bureaucracy, benefits, and of course overall salary. I think I stand a better chance of getting accepted to JET next year. I suppose I'm patient enough to wait, and in the end if JET were to reject me again then I would reconsider Interac or the eikaiwa options.

If I were more Japan or bust, then I'd probably pursue Interac right now.

I'm going over with Interac in March and so far everything has been pretty good. Not to bothered about the difference in pay between Interac and JET, but of course the more money you can get the better. Though if money is really a big deciding factor of working in Japan then shouldn't you just stay in your home country and get on the career wagon earning better pay than what you'd be earning in Japan.

Anyways in regards to Interac comments; yes there is alot of negative comments on Interac and I've read a fair amount of them, but imo I really do wonder how valid they are. The majority just sounds like people have gotten unlucky with placements or they were hoping Interac would be alot like JET and have someone hold their hand and get spoon fed everything up until your all set up in accomodations and in a working routine. Interac do support you before and while your in Japan working, they have mutiple offices nationwide so I don't really see where the problem lies if you need questions answered.

I think alot of people keep saying esid (every situation is different) but tend to forget every person is different also. So while you might not like your placement or working conditions, some one else might not mind them or actually enjoy those conditions. Furthermore its not like they give you a placement and your stuck with it. During the interview stage you give them your placement preferences and when they call you eventually to tell you what placement they offer you, you can either accept it or decline it and they'll try and find you another one. Also you have like a few days to decide so you would think people would use those few days to throughly research more into their placement offer. If you didn't and you get there and don't like it, whos fault really is that.

I've spoken to Interacs who are actually out in Japan working, met a few when I was there last year for my friends wedding and while they do say the pay could be better, everything else is fine.

Fair dos if you only want to go out there with JET, if you feel being with JET will make the whole experience more enjoyable. Alot of people go out with any company and once Japan side start looking for other jobs while working at Interac or whatever.

For me, if a JET job opens up I think I'll most likely apply simply for the pay increase, but I'm not bothered about how or who I go with to Japan. I've been there enough times to know what to expect and don't need anyone to hold my hand to get me settled in. Though of course I do expect support to be there if I need it.

Though I say this Interac has been very helpful, informative and surprisingly prompt in returning my queries I have sent to them by email. Maybe they'll change their tune once I'm in Japan and working, but so far the experience with Interac has been quite professional.

I'd also just like to make it clear that I'm not pro JET or Interac, both organisations have their pros and cons. For me I just want to get Japan side. However since I am going to be out there with Interac I'm more than happy to post down my own experiences for you all to read and hopefully bring some insight on experiences working for Interac.

Hey Johnny and Oonter, Please keep in touch with your progress.

I'm considering my options as JET may not pay off..

Quote Originally Posted by LostInTranslation View Post
    an inefficient and insensitive bureaucracy is another. Controlling people through intimidation isn't very nice either.
    This is the case for many JETs.

Interac isn't so bad from the people I know that are doing it. You get paid a little less.

and may get stuck with dumb leo palace.

You don't HAVE to go with the apartments that Interac finds for you. I went with a different place and have been very happy with it.

And every JET has a great apartment Some have shitholes that make LeoPalace look like eden. It really is ESID.

Not to be mean but if you are seriously Japan or bust, JET is another whole year to wait to see if you even got an interview. That's a long wait and the benefits of JET over other dispatch companies are not so great that it is worth waiting a year for in my opinion.

At least in my view, JET is a gap-year (or two) type thing before you transition into a long-term career. Waiting longer and longer does nothing to benefit you.

Quote Originally Posted by Urthona View Post
    And every JET has a great apartment Some have shitholes that make LeoPalace look like eden. It really is ESID.

Not to be mean but if you are seriously Japan or bust, JET is another whole year to wait to see if you even got an interview. That's a long wait and the benefits of JET over other dispatch companies are not so great that it is worth waiting a year for in my opinion.

At least in my view, JET is a gap-year (or two) type thing before you transition into a long-term career. Waiting longer and longer does nothing to benefit you.
    I agree, when appying to JET, the whole process of obtaining the necessary paper work from your university, references from previous and current employees and from university lecturers, for me anyways was like trying to get blood from a stone. After going through all that trouble just to find out I didn't get to the interview stage is rather dissapointing, added with the fact that JET only recruit once a year, unless a job opens up which more than likely will be filled by someone already in Japan. Meaning if your gonna be stubborn and reapply for JET. You have to wait until next year.

Companines and organisations like Interac are alot quicker in terms of the recruitment to interview stage. Interac have 2 main recruitment phases per year in April and August with job positions being advertised on a weekly basis. Again though those weekly jobs are most likely filled by people already in Japan. In anycase the whole process was alot quicker than JET.

If being in Japan is your ultimate goal, my advice would be to apply to multiple jobs that can get you work in Japan, rather than putting all your hope on JET.

i received no interview for jet but now have interviews for multiple alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanarkandangel View Post
    Hey Johnny and Oonter, Please keep in touch with your progress.

I'm considering my options as JET may not pay off..
    Will do. We just sent our documents to Heart so that they can process our Certificate of Eligibility. Then we'll be able to get our Visas. We haven't gotten any placement or a starting date yet. It should be about 2 weeks til we hear. I did not ask for any preference, but I would like somewhere warmer than NY. I'm so tired of winter. >_<.

i received no interview for jet but now have interviews for multiple alternatives.

What do you have so far?

Just thought I would bump this topic. JohnnyUK and Oonter how are things progressing?