Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Lessons

Default Christmas Lessons

Christmas may seem like a no-brainer, but it's kind of daunting to pick things to focus on. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed so I thought I'd kick off a Christmas lessons thread.

I found this link which will probably be helpful.
    http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ai251/xcarol.html#S

It has the lyrics for just about every Christmas song I can think of.

I'm definitely going to do some kind of Christmas carol singing/fill in the lyrics sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Default Re: Christmas Lessons

For any Aussies out there, I have Christmas lesson plans suitable for SHS all levels, including songs and powerpoints etc. using Aussie Christmas songs, the Aussie version of "The night before Christmas" and sad sad pictures of a surfing Santa and people in Santa hats with beers jumping around in Bondi surf.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Working with Elementary, may I suggest 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas' as a good carol to sing, due to its brevity and easy lyrics

I am trying to figure out as well...work in the Jesus birthday angle or just go full force Santa Extravaganza? I see Elementary once a week so I think the two weeks before Christmas we'll do Christmas stuff. We're already singing Christmas songs.

Activities I am considering for Elementary include making Christmas cards or Christmas origami. or both. And doing SOME kind of story time.

I'm not Christian so I refused point blank to teach the Jesus story, other than to mention that Christmas was originally a mid-winter feast and pagan celebration that was taken over to celebrate the birth of someone some people believe was the son of God.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Katsudon - I'd wouldn't worry too much about the Christian angle too much. I mean, I'm as Athiest as they come but wouldn't mind teaching it. However, most Japanese, especially children, don't care about this angle and, WAR ON CHRISTMAS aside, neither do a sizeable portion of Westerners.

If nothing else, you might just want to use it as a quick context provider and then skip right to Santa because you only got one day for crying out loud.

Oh, and a relevant link to vocab/activity ideas:
    http://www.eslflow.com/Christmaslessonplans.html
    Last edited by Oneiro; November 27th, 2008 at 10:06.

I'm just going to comment on how the gifts from the three wisemen inspired modern gift giving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

United States; Hoboken NJ Fujisato, Akita

I only have to teach Elementary school about christmas since my JHS will be too busy getting ready for the month of testing.

I have a small lesson set up for it and will be letting them go crazy making christmas cards. I will also have a few songs playing in the background to keep the mood festive
    Superman once wrote on the wall: "Batman is a wimp."
    The next day Batman wrote: "Superman is Clark Kent."

Other than the Nightmare Before Christmas, are there any good clips to show in an elementary class regarding christmas?

I am taking this class topic to be Christmas is a holiday, this is how it is practiced in my home country. Santa, snowmen etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesinjapan View Post
    I will also have a few songs playing in the background to keep the mood festive
    Thats a great idea with the music. I will be using that one. Thank you!

Tegan: Mr. Bean's Christmas episode I have it on my computer, PM me if you're interested.

I am currently planning a Christmas lesson for my JHS students. Feel free to take any of these ideas.
    I'm from Australia but lived in England for 10 years, so I am starting out by asking the students what they do at Christmas and then asking them to guess what happens in England and Australia (cold and hot climates).

Next we will sing a couple of songs, I'll burn a CD for them and print out the lyrics. Probably Rudolph (my JTE accidentally said Adolf the other day, I'm still laughing), and the 12 Days of Christmas.

Moving on, I have 4 sets of 1 letter each of the alphabet. They form groups and have to re-arrange the letters to form the words that I say. (You can print out extras of each letter, or just use words that don't have letters repeated, ie Rudolph, Family, Sleigh, Angel, Snow, Star, Doves,Tinsel, Kringle, Gifts etc). Fastest team each round gets a point. (You can start the points thing in the first activity if you want to).

Lastly I have a Christmas quiz based mostly on what I talked about at the start (makes 'em listen), as well as some general knowledge stuff. Again, each correct answer earns a point for the team, and at the end prizes for the team with the most points.

If theres time left over, I'll whip out Shiritori or something, but it depends on how long they take to get through the other stuff.
    Last edited by charmed_23; November 28th, 2008 at 10:15.

Christmas karuta.

Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
    Other than the Nightmare Before Christmas, are there any good clips to show in an elementary class regarding christmas?

I am taking this class topic to be Christmas is a holiday, this is how it is practiced in my home country. Santa, snowmen etc.
    What about Frosty the Snowman or A Charlie Brown Christmas? There are a ton of Christmas cartoons, shows, etc!!

the nightmare before christmas wont get kids into high school - do a grammar lesson

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

I'm having the kids color post cards with a Christmas theme, then write the names and address on the back in romanji. Then I'll send the cards to them from the states.

The lesson will focus on romanji, and asking for things. (The have to ask me for glitter and stuff for the cards.)

5-10 minutes on Jesus or whatever
    10-15 minutes on the new, awesome Christmas
    25 minutes of Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Done and done.

If you want Christmas videos: go on youtube and search for whatever ones, then go to: http://www.zamzar.com/url , paste the Youtube URL in and convert it to .avi (then stitch them together with Movie Maker or whatever program you prefer).

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    I'm not Christian so I refused point blank to teach the Jesus story, other than to mention that Christmas was originally a mid-winter feast and pagan celebration that was taken over to celebrate the birth of someone some people believe was the son of God.
    Are you an atheist?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

fuck me chuckles, you sound like a right laugh to spend the holidays with.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

sad sad pictures of a surfing Santa
    Is that a common thing in Australia? Because I get Japanese people asking if (or assuming that) we have that in NZ ALL THE TIME, but I only ever remember seeing Santa portrayed the same way he is in the Northern Hemisphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

kiwi - no, it's not common. most christmas cards have the snow and santa in a red suit etc. but there's always someone who dresses up as santa and takes his board to the waves for the day.

alid - no, i'm buddhist.

andrewr - you are right on the money. i fucking hate christmas. the only good thing about it is getting time off work. the rest of it is spending time with relatives you don't know or don't like and finding decent presents with bugger-all time or money.

I like some aspects of Christmas (seeing my family, good food, gifts), am indifferent/mildly hostile towards others (baby jeebus), and f&*#ing loathe others (santa overload, reindeer, modern christmas carols, american christmas carols, shopping centres, christians, tacky decorations, christmas themed credit-card advertising, christmas movies that don't involve violence or skeletons or do involve Ben Affleck)...

Now that I've got that off my chest - I've been asked to teach a Christmas lesson for the special-ed class later today. I think I'm going to do a "pass the parcel" game (it's vaguely gift-themed, and it "makes learning fun"), a little bit on Christmas in Australia (OMG! It's hot!), possibly some Christmas carols (I never realised that the full lyrics to "We wish you a merry christmas" contain a demand for "figgy pudding"...who knew?!) and some worksheet stuff to occupy them and compensate for their hugely different levels of english ability. I might also see if I can download some Christmas related video material before the lesson.