Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Christmas Lessons

Default Re: Christmas Lessons

With my 3rd years at JHS I asked them to write me questions they have about Christmas.

I got a few back asking about whose birthday Christmas is....but most were asking if I believed in Santa....=/

I was raised Methodist, but I consider myself agnostic with strong atheist tendencies.

I mentioned Jesus in my lesson and talked about how Christians usually went to church on Christmas or Christmas Eve but made it a point to mention that Christmas can be for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Ali, my 6th graders are actually learning "what's this?" "it's a pen" as a grammar point right now so I was like awesome way to tie in that song. I have a Japanese Nightmare Before Christmas CD so I was able to type up the official translation for them too.

No one has ANY idea what it is. I'm like...Jack Skellington is all over your pencil cases and shit, how do you not know who he is?

I just wish I had a way to show clips too but I only have like two more lessons I get to plan myself before Christmas anyway. :\

And just for the record the reason I don't feel the need to teach about the religious aspects isn't because I'm an atheist, but because of what Wicket said in it being heavily rooted in the pagan practices of Saturnalia. Many of the traditions like Christmas Trees, feasting and presents are taken from that and there's no way in hell I'm going to teach my kids about Saturnalia. So I'm just sticking with Santa, Rudolph and Frosty for now. All they care about is the Christmas stickers anyway. ^_^

United States; Hoboken NJ Fujisato, Akita

I found by talking to a female friend of mine, that its not Jack Skellington but Jack "Nightmare" or atleast thats what she calls the giant plush she has of him in her car. I am a huge fan of the movie and when we did the "What's this" lesson I wanted to bring up that song but I couldn't find it in time.
    Superman once wrote on the wall: "Batman is a wimp."
    The next day Batman wrote: "Superman is Clark Kent."

go to youtube...find a video of whats this...they have both in english and japanese...
    then go to savevid.com and follow the extremely easy instructions.
    then place your newly made video onto your ipod (or zune) and bring with you to your classes....need a converter to show the video from ipod to TV but they are like 15 bucks.

Good investment for elementary school teachers. =)

I need to make a lesson plan today for 30 minutes but I didn't get anything useful from this thread

Does anyone have any lesson plans they used in the past that were successful that they can share?

Also what's that mr bean christmas lesson?

I know it's a little late, but I thought I'd share my lessons because I put so much damned work into them. I hate doing the same thing 18 kajillion times (OK, 15-ish times), so I planned a whole bunch of different lessons. The only thing that remained the same was my presentation of What My Family Does for Christmas, operating on the assumption that all classes except the First Year middle schoolers have had Why We Celebrate Christmas pounded into their heads already.

I'm a big fan of making Crafts, mostly because individual activities keep my uber genki kids a bit under wraps, but also because I love doing crafts.

1) Christmas Cards -- For my second years, they were studying comparisons so I had them write cards using "-est" and "most" in the message. For example: Merriest Christmas and Happiest New Years. A little awkward, but it got the point across. I bought some stickers, yarn, ribbon, origami paper, random decorations, etc., from the 100yen store for them to use to decorate additionally. While I thought this would work out really well, a lot of the students just spent a whole bunch of time choosing random stuff to add to their cards and choosing from stickers, so I'll play around with it for the next time...

2) Hand-Wreath: I cut lime green and pine green cardboard paper in half and had the students trace and then cut out their hands. They wrote their names on it and then a Christmas Wish (or New Years Resolution) on the fingers and decorated ad nauseum. I glued the hands together (occasionally cutting out some wishes) in a circular shape. Added the JTE's and my hands on the bottom in red as the "bow." My kocho-sensei decided this was the coolest thing ever.

3) Translating Christmas Cookie Recipes : for my Sannenseis, I gave them a copy of a Christmas Cookie recipe that I make with my family. I wrote out a few of the key phrases and measurement conversions on sheets of paper thatI put all over the class. I told them that they had to translate it into Japanese. The first four people to finish correctly (they had to give it to the JTE to verify) got pretty sweet Christmas presents in return, if I do say so myself.

4) Snowflake Mobiles: Got some strong stick-like things from the 100 yen store and some fishing line. Then I showed my students how to make paper snowflakes (I don't know if you've ever made them, but they're awesome) and we made mobiles out of it. The students were really great! Way better than mine.

5) Showed part of White Christmas (where Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye are singing the Haynes Sister's song). I had the students act out the scene based on what they thought happened. Would have worked better if half the students weren't so shy but... well, at least they thought the scene was funny.

I still need to figure out one more lesson for my Ninenseis on Monday. There are three classes, so it has to be something good for a lot of people... we'll see how it goes. Maybe Christmas Carols... hmmm?

Anyway, it's been a lot of fun even though I'm kind of Christmas'd out.
    "And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
    -Albus PWB Dumbledore

...gimme a break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OjUh...e=channel_page
    I'm trying this one out with my elementary kids tomorrow. I'm also going to teach them how to make origami Christmas trees (with the help of my JTE who is far better at origami than I am).

And making Christmas cards has worked great for my JHS students
    Last edited by stufflikethat; December 18th, 2008 at 18:06.

Quote Originally Posted by stufflikethat View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OjUh...e=channel_page
    I'm trying this one out with my elementary kids tomorrow. I'm also going to teach them how to make origami Christmas trees (with the help of my JTE who is far better at origami than I am).

And making Christmas cards has worked great for my JHS students
    That guy is awesome. He really helped me out when it came to packing for Japan AND gave me the ipod videos tip.