Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Elementary 5/6 Christmas Game

Packing to return to the greatest city in the world!

Default HELP! Elementary 5/6 Christmas Game

I have to run 4 elementary classes tomorrow. I am pretty solid on the 3rd and 4th grades (christmas words and bingo) but I have NO CLUE what to do for the 5th and 6th grades. Ix-nay on the iting-wray as per the BOEs guidelines, so no 'christmas cards' unless someone has a sexy idea.

I was thinking of 'pass the parcel' but I cant be assed to actually make them....
    We don't need no insulation!
    We don't need no birth control!
    No western toilets in the bathroom!
    Gaijins, leave them Japs alone!

Damnit, Jim! I'm a linguist, not a tape recorder!

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: HELP! Elementary 5/6 Christmas Game

no christmas cards?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

They're not supposed to write at all.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Oh, I see.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

In my opinion, writing is not necessarily the best use of elementary schoolers' time to begin with.

Like I've said before, I strongly urge phonics practice.

* L/R
    * th
    * B/V
    * F/H

One or maybe two of those is a great lesson topic. Once you impress those sounds on their little minds, they're good to go for life.

You could also practice sounding out simple, simple words. Three letter, phonetic words. If these kids are really kicking ass, you can add the "neighbor vowel" rule:

man = short a
    mane = long a ("Says its name") because it has a neighbor within one letter

Not so much a rule as a guideline, this being English, but it's handy!

Really, though, just work phonics in as many interesting ways as possible. It can be accomplished quickly, and has lasting, significant benefit. They will never again confuse the Hell out of an ALT by repeatedly declaring that they like "rinkan". (I was trying to parse that into 林間 or something for quite a while before they blurted out, "アメリカの大統領 and I realized these kids needed to relearn their damn phonics.)

Well, they want me to do a Christmas game or somethingorother. I would have done cards but WHOOPS NO WRITING. I don't know, I'll figure it out.

You can integrate phonics with any activity.

Christmas, huh? I'm kind of at a loss. Uh. You could try showing them a bunch of Christmas pictures? Or, uh...well, Christmas words isn't a terrible idea.

Just put some game in there to appease the teachers, and spend most of the lesson teaching something that matters.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

What about reading? Can you put simple words on some cards (e.g. "Santa", "tree", "present", "carol") and pictures on others? Drill them in the pronunciation while showing the pictures for meaning, then throw the picture cards on the ground and show them the words one by one while they try to grab them.
    How many kids are there? You might need more than one group.
    Rework "12 days of Christmas" into gifts that are easier to pronounce (or in a theme if you like, such as fruit) and contain colours. EG "A green apple up in a tree, 2 purple grapes, 3 red strawberries, 4 pink grapefruit, 5 yellow bananas" (that's where I ran out of ideas, but this is off the top of my head!) Make each kid (or group of kids) responsible for one of them and have them practise the pronunciation.
    Then sing the song - you sing the "On the first day..." bits.
    Kids learn colours, items, first/second/third, a preposition, plus it's Christmasy.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Wicket for the win.

Yeah, try doing reading practice with Christmas words. Stick with mostly phonetic ones.

Candy
    Cane
    Santa
    Tree
    Star
    Stocking
    Ribbon
    Box
    Toy

You can also mix them up...e.g., "star --> stare" and "cane --> can".

why not do cards?
    I do cards with my 1st graders, we put the greeting for the card in both english and katakana (as they've only just learnt that too) and they can choose. most chose English and just copied it.
    my 5th and 6th grade classes at 2 different schools could write english without issue.

(I don't teach them any writing as part of the curriculum either BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by BritishChris View Post
    why not do cards?
    I do cards with my 1st graders, we put the greeting for the card in both english and katakana (as they've only just learnt that too) and they can choose. most chose English and just copied it.
    my 5th and 6th grade classes at 2 different schools could write english without issue.

(I don't teach them any writing as part of the curriculum either BTW)
    Katakana is never okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta View Post
    Katakana is never okay.
    whatever, it's for a card, not like they are going
    "naisu tsu meeto yuu"
    Where I say Katakana I essentially mean Japanese, as they do XXXXX he

meri- kurisumasu

XXXXyori.

not "Tsu xxxx ..... furomu....." as that would just be stupid

Also, to get around the writing thing you could always type up the greeting and leave space for them to write who they want to send it to and who it's from. then they can just stick it on the paper.
    Last edited by Tarquin; December 8th, 2008 at 22:34. Reason: drunken spelling.

I <3 Melon Soda

Hm... I don't teach elementary school, and this post won't be helpful, but I'm curious...

At the MYC I went to, they talked a lot about the switch to required elementary school English classes in the near future. They gave us an overview of the government laid-out objectives. "No-reading-no-writing-no-phonics" for elementary school students was stressed. That they shouldn't be taught that and should just be "familiarized" with English, not taught letters or made to memorize things.

Is this counter to what teachers in elementary schools do now? I have no idea what elementary schools do...

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Paladia View Post
    Well, they want me to do a Christmas game or somethingorother. I would have done cards but WHOOPS NO WRITING. I don't know, I'll figure it out.
    Why NOT do Christmas cards with no writing? Go over the vocabulary, then have them draw pictures of Christmas Trees and dwhatever else you want on a Christmas card. Letting them draw takes up lots of time, and you can explain about the important of sending letters at Christmas.
    Last edited by kalliea; December 9th, 2008 at 15:00.

My 5th and 6th graders played Karuta game with Christmas words. They watched What's this? from a Nightmare before christmas, went over Christmas words, then played the card game. They had loads of fun. Not every class has to be packed full of hardcore learning. Let the kids enjoy playing with english while they can!

Oh! and I have three christmas words that began with christmas- christmas tree, stocking, and card. So they had to pay close attention in kaurta to not grab for the wrong card. =)

Quote Originally Posted by violetessence View Post
    Hm... I don't teach elementary school, and this post won't be helpful, but I'm curious...

At the MYC I went to, they talked a lot about the switch to required elementary school English classes in the near future. They gave us an overview of the government laid-out objectives. "No-reading-no-writing-no-phonics" for elementary school students was stressed. That they shouldn't be taught that and should just be "familiarized" with English, not taught letters or made to memorize things.

Is this counter to what teachers in elementary schools do now? I have no idea what elementary schools do...
    Yeah it really is...and it kills me. Because it's basically saying 'Don't teach them anything that will prepare them for Junior High whatsoever. Don't hold them accountable for anything you teach them at a later date. Don't teach them how to properly pronounce words, they're Japanese so they just can't don't try!'

Me and my elementaries basically do what I say we should and everyone gets on great. Mostly I do basic sentence patterns we can use in fun games, words for everyday things, stress knowledge of the dates/calendar alone with numbers, and try to stress proper pronunciation like teaching them the V or TH sounds. I haven't gone into alphabet but jezuz, why shouldn't we? Kids already seem to know their alphabet in any case.

I've heard rumors like this - and it makes me pretty mad. "Sure, let's willfully cripple English education at elementary school..." *headdesk*

Paladia - suck it, and just make the damned parcels already. You can knock them out pretty damned quickly if you wrap them with old newspapers (enviro-friendly FTW), pre-cut the newspapers into suitable sizes using your school's guillotine (electric works best, but the manual kind will do), and pre-cut yourself a shitload of short pieces of tape to stick them together.

That is just ludicrous. If they actually want kids to learn English and not just learn that English exists as something outside their own little worlds, they should be making phonics mandatory, every day.

What the fuck does "familiarised with English" mean if it doesn't actually mean learning English?

Only problem with everyday English is the lack of English speakers available for these kids. Very few of the HRT in elementary schools have much of a background in English. And why should they? English is not very useful for most people here. I think the only reason my JHS kids will ever use English is to communicate with the JETs who are sent here to teach them.

At the MYC I went to, they talked a lot about the switch to required elementary school English classes in the near future. They gave us an overview of the government laid-out objectives. "No-reading-no-writing-no-phonics" for elementary school students was stressed.
    Whoever said that needs to have their life ended over a torturous period of weeks.

I can only hope that day-to-day reality, and non-idiotic teachers, will prevail over misguided bureaucratic directives.

To elaborate further, I'm kind of liking vivisection and maybe ... packs of dogs.

On a more constructive note: anyone who's been playing "Fruits Basket" for 45 minutes every day, read that post and ask yourself if that's the sort of objective you want to be supporting. Use your JET job security to teach something that matters, and make the case to the teachers.

In my experience, kids can have a lot of fun learning. Because they don't just feel, "Whee, it was fun running around like maniacs" but also, "Hey, I can do this English thing, can't I."
    Last edited by Wakatta; December 9th, 2008 at 19:59.