Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! Elementary 5/6 Christmas Game

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta View Post
    Whoever said that needs to have their life ended over a torturous period of weeks.
    The they-can't-learn-that-yet policies have never made any sense to me either. How is it going to hurt if they learn a bit of something before junior high? Proper pronunciation for four years and basic phonics would be the perfect thing to teach in once a week elementary school lessons. Instead they'll learn the names of 50 fruits and vegetables and 100 animals in katakana quasi-English.

Quote Originally Posted by ampersand View Post
    The they-can't-learn-that-yet policies have never made any sense to me either. How is it going to hurt if they learn a bit of something before junior high? Proper pronunciation for four years and basic phonics would be the perfect thing to teach in once a week elementary school lessons. Instead they'll learn the names of 50 fruits and vegetables and 100 animals in katakana quasi-English.
    I swear, the ministry of agriculture must be slipping the monbusho some cash.

On the plus side, it's trivially easy for ALTs to slip phonics in. I've never had a teacher run up and shout "NO STOP TEACHING THEM TO SAY 'TH'!" Hell, usually, they're really interested and are working on it themselves.

These sounds are sufficiently common that in any given set of random nouns, you will -always- have at least one or two of the major ones ("th", "L/R", "B/V", "f") to work on.

"Coffee!"
    "Fee! Fee! F, F, F, Fee!"
    "Cof!"
    "C, c, c, cof!"
    "Cof! fee! Coffee!"

Anyway, in the strongest terms, I encourage all ALTs to work phonics practice into their lessons. It's extremely easy, and once you get the hang of it, both a lot of fun and quite successful. On the flip side, though, be careful to make it look easy and encourage relaxation.

Barring a sudden rise in the number of JTEs willing to storm across a classroom and declare "HALT! ILLEGAL PHONICS INSTRUCTION DETECTED! ARREST THE GAIJIN!", this directive will not be a significant problem.

Another nice thing about JET: you have pretty good job security. With Interac, you actually might get threatened with firing for violating some theoretical MoE directive that the teachers themselves don't care about.

Myself, I'm going to kindergarten tomorrow, and damn sure I'm going to be teaching some phonics! "Lollipop" song, here we come! Coz man, it's impossible to forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGaL3gMsEHY
    Last edited by Wakatta; December 9th, 2008 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta View Post
    Myself, I'm going to kindergarten tomorrow, and damn sure I'm going to be teaching some phonics!
    Phonics to kindergartners? That's impressive. Or do you mean pronunciation?

Phonics to kindergartners? That's impressive. Or do you mean pronunciation?
    Well, technically, I suppose it qualifies as phonics, inasmuch as I generally at least write the letter on the board -- an L, a "th", etc. Since I'll probably forego that with kindergarteners, I suppose I -should- say I'll be teaching pronunciation. But I will probably at least say "L!" and maybe hold up a finger-L or something.

Packing to return to the greatest city in the world!

Unfortuntately, ESID rules here.

I teach at 4 elementaries and 1 junior high. I go to elementary twice a week, seeing each school twice a month. In three of my four schools, I team-teach with a JTE. In two of those schools, the JTE plans the lesson. In the third school, my JTE and I are trying to figure out who plans what. In the school where I must plan and run lessons myself, I alternate between 1 and 2 kumis each visit, meaning that I see these kids a grand total of once every month.
    This makes it really hard to teach them anything of actual worth.
    I ran a lesson last month which involved food. I taught them how to pronounce common Katakanized food words in English... as in, it's not san-do-ichi, it's SAND-WICH. I also taught them to order, "Can I have SOUP please?"
    I can guarantee that they forgot it by now.

I skirted the "no writing" rule by making a frantic "save Santa" game which involved completing English tasks and doing mazes which I unabashedly gakked from MES English. They learned to say "I want video games!" and such. Of course... by next month it will ALLLLL be forgotten.
    We don't need no insulation!
    We don't need no birth control!
    No western toilets in the bathroom!
    Gaijins, leave them Japs alone!

Damnit, Jim! I'm a linguist, not a tape recorder!

Quote Originally Posted by Paladia View Post
    I alternate between 1 and 2 kumis each visit, meaning that I see these kids a grand total of once every month.
    This makes it really hard to teach them anything of actual worth.

( ... )

Of course... by next month it will ALLLLL be forgotten.
    Don't sell yourself short. One reason I'm so big on phonics/pronunciation in elementary school is that, given how rarely they get English class, you want something that's going to stick and keep paying dividends. I think that once they get that muscle-memory imprinted, it's going to stick there for a while.

On the other hand, random phrases are almost certainly going to be largely forgotten in that time.

I <3 Melon Soda

According to the speaker, elementary school students don't know the alphabet yet, so they can't be taught reading or phonics. Additionally, if the students are "taught" English, they will become "bored" eventually and dislike English. They will thus be burned out on English by the time they get to junior high or high school. So the goal of an elementary school teacher is not really to "teach" at all, but merely let them hear English sounds and have fun with English.

This was followed by a clip of Korean elementary school students, who pronounce English much better than Japanese high school students. A couple of them yawned... which supposedly proved his point?? I didn't really follow the logic.

Default Re: HELP! Elementary 5/6 Christmas Game

I really wonder how the higher-ups in Japanese education got their positions. Someone in power must have a vested interest in worsening English education in this country.

I really wonder how the higher-ups in Japanese education got their positions. Someone in power must have a vested interest in worsening English education in this country.
    +1
    I read an interview with a minster of something...international affairs or something...saying that Japan should step back and let other countries flourish...it sounded quite a bit like Xenophobia to me...and like a turn of Japanese policies to being more isolationist...makes sense then to screw up the English education system if your beliefs and goals are such.

Maybe its all thanks to eikaiwa company lobbying!

Yeah, if that's true, they should definitely stop teaching kokugo in elementary school! Those kids will be too bored to ever study it in JHS and HS! Imagine the horrors of a nation which cannot speak its own language! Stop teaching Japanese in elementary school IMMEDIATELY. They should just flip through books containing random kanji, and maybe practice stamping some kanji on a piece of paper once a month.

国語の授業の例

一番好きな英語の言葉を書いてください。

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    国語の授業の例

一番好きな英語の言葉を書いてください。
    Hahahahaha. Counting out the letters in Japanese would totally count as Kokugo practice!