Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I read somewhere that JET prefers [does not prefer]...."

Default "I read somewhere that JET prefers (does not prefer)...."

JET is looking for normal people that they can put in a room with kids, plane and simple. The majority of these rumors about JET and who they want and don't want are fueled by people who did not get on the program and who are bitter.

"I didn't get on JET because I...

...am asian/of japanese decent/white/black/latino... I know too much Japanese/know nothing about Japan...speak Japanese/don't speak Japanese... am a guy/girl... am gay... requested (instert location here)... am too old/fat/ugly/... had teaching experience/no teaching experience...mentioned anime/video games/karate in my interview"

The list goes on, what have I missed? If you're applying stop worrying, if you get on JET and get to Japan you'll meet JETs who can disprove any of these reasons above of NOT being selected for JET.
    Genki?

Default Re: "I read somewhere that JET prefers (does not prefer)...."

Very true,

However there are preferences. In past years they preferred those without much Japanese experience. In recent years that has changed and they have been choosing more with Japanese language experience.

As far as the rest of the preferences that is more a placement based like. Some schools/BoEs prefer certain things based on country, race, experience, etc.

Sometimes those preferences can get misinterpreted. One city in Shiga stated that they would like if they could get someone from their sister-city. That was taken as more of a demand and 3-4 people (all the ALTs going to the city) were from the same consulate. Same consulate to same city.

A school/boe's preference can change from year to year.

Jets are chosen completely at random.

Get over it.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

I hope their dart lands on my name on the board

Quote Originally Posted by Petesmp View Post
    JET is looking for normal people that they can put in a room with kids, plane and simple. The majority of these rumors about JET and who they want and don't want are fueled by people who did not get on the program and who are bitter.

"I didn't get on JET because I...

...am asian/of japanese decent/white/black/latino... I know too much Japanese/know nothing about Japan...speak Japanese/don't speak Japanese... am a guy/girl... am gay... requested (instert location here)... am too old/fat/ugly/... had teaching experience/no teaching experience...mentioned anime/video games/karate in my interview"

The list goes on, what have I missed? If you're applying stop worrying, if you get on JET and get to Japan you'll meet JETs who can disprove any of these reasons above of NOT being selected for JET.
    plane and simple.
    plane
    -

that's his subconscious telling him to get on a plane

Last edited by aj19; October 3rd, 2010 at 14:10.

who is it aj? i'm curious

Last edited by aj19; October 3rd, 2010 at 14:10.

Quote Originally Posted by meelynnmurder View Post
    who is it aj? i'm curious
    It is me in 2 years

Totally agree. There are all kinds of people here. I met a few at Tokyo Orientation that really made me wonder what the interviewers were thinking though. There is no one thing they are looking for. Not many people actually know what the criteria are and if they claim to know so they are probably full of shit.

As far as Sloshed's post... I think it's things like this that get people to believe rumors like "they don't want people with too much/not enough Japanese."

Not that it couldn't be true somehow, but if someone involved in the process didn't tell you specifically you really don't know for sure.

Also what the BoE's request should not have any impact at this stage. All that placement stuff is done later on. They aren't sitting in the interview thinking "Oh Bumfuck town, Yamanashi- ken needs a black woman who speaks intermediate Japanese. We should take this girl"

Without wanting to instil too great a paranoia in all you applicants, you should be aware that, more often than not, JET administrators trawl message boards like this and BD to spot people.

After I was accepted into the programme I happened to bump into the guy who walked me into my interview - and straight off the bat he matched me to my handle on here.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if the more 'obviously dickish' of applicants were turned down as a result of their online reputation.

lol, you know i'm kind of afraid of that, especially since i posted my essay on here, maybe i should edit it out for just that very reason

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Totally agree. There are all kinds of people here. I met a few at Tokyo Orientation that really made me wonder what the interviewers were thinking though. There is no one thing they are looking for. Not many people actually know what the criteria are and if they claim to know so they are probably full of shit.
    OMG YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ME I KNOW IT!

I found out about JET in middle school but since I was like 13 I didn't like look into what they were looking for. And I decided to major in Japanese. And then after my first year I was on a two week seminar class in Kansai looking at temples and shrines and talked to my professor and he's like oh you shouldn't do JET, they don't want people who speak Japanese anyway.

But the position I'm in now I pretty much HAVE to know Japanese.

I think pretty much the basic requirement is you have to have SOME kind of outgoing personality. Not necessarily extremely genki 24/7, but they have to see in your interview that you're going to be able to handle standing in front of a class and asking questions and so forth as positively as possible so as to at least ATTEMPT to get the kids excited. So the best advice I would give (besides knowing your stuff) is smile and be energetic in the interview. Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuffie View Post
    I found out about JET in middle school but since I was like 13 I didn't like look into what they were looking for. And I decided to major in Japanese. And then after my first year I was on a two week seminar class in Kansai looking at temples and shrines and talked to my professor and he's like oh you shouldn't do JET, they don't want people who speak Japanese anyway.
    Sorry to veer off topic, but that is exactly like me. I've wanted to do JET since a freshman in high school and picked East Asian Studies as my major because nothing else really appealed to me (I'm now going to live in a box the rest of my life). Then when I went to Kobe for study abroad, there was a female ALT who came in to talk to us about the JET Programme and was basically like "Yeah, if you want to apply to JET you shouldn't be an EAS major." I now wish I could've punch her in the throat for ruining my motivation the following semester.

This is why I love this forum. There are tons of people of varied academic backgrounds, some similar to mine. I really wish I had visited this site like two years ago.
    Last edited by maidenindigo; December 18th, 2008 at 22:59.

I get nothing but mad respect when I speak Japanese here.

In fact most of the BOE complains about the other guy not trying to learn Japanese.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    I get nothing but mad respect when I speak Japanese here.

In fact most of the BOE complains about the other guy not trying to learn Japanese.
    Same here, I was apparently chosen by my BoE because they wanted an ALT who can speak Japanese to a fair degree. Especially too since I only work at elementary school, so it's a necessity since my HRT's don't really know any English.

I double majored in EAS,studied abroad in Japan twice, and got in with the first cut of people. I guess the stigma against people who had Japan experience was true in the past, but seeing people on this message board and from having met other JET's here, it's definately not true.

I also think the people who cry about bias are seriously huge weeaboos and/or socially retarded, even if you can speak Japanese fluently it doesn't mean shit if your some weird aspie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusuke View Post
    Same here, I was apparently chosen by my BoE because they wanted an ALT who can speak Japanese to a fair degree. Especially too since I only work at elementary school, so it's a necessity since my HRT's don't really know any English.

I double majored in EAS,studied abroad in Japan twice, and got in with the first cut of people. I guess the stigma against people who had Japan experience was true in the past, but seeing people on this message board and from having met other JET's here, it's definately not true.

I also think the people who cry about bias are seriously huge weeaboos and/or socially retarded, even if you can speak Japanese fluently it doesn't mean shit if your some weird aspie.
    Eye Agree
    Genki?

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrey View Post
    I wouldn't be overly surprised if the more 'obviously dickish' of applicants were turned down as a result of their online reputation.
    not necessarily, i was shortlisted despite being kind of a jerk on this forum for a while and voted by wicket the only applicant to be outright rejected. good credentials > internet assholery.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

They check the internet?
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.