Thread: Grad School Advice

United States; Hoboken NJ Fujisato, Akita

Default Grad School Advice

I knew coming in here that I will only be here for 2 years, then I am planning on going to Graduate school for Student Affairs. I am looking around and I am planning on taking the GREs and I am currently practicing my writing skills for the essays that I have to do.

I am mainly making this thread to ask, for advice on those who have already been through this, and what advice you might have for people that are doing this overseas.
    Superman once wrote on the wall: "Batman is a wimp."
    The next day Batman wrote: "Superman is Clark Kent."

Default Re: Grad School Advice

Don't sweat too hard on your studying for the GRE is my only advice.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Jones I love ya!
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

The GREs I found are not very important for my degree, The majority of the school I am applying for, tell me they are only optional, so I am not too worried about them, but I still want to take them (Im a masocist).
    Is it true that the only place you can take the GREs in Japan is Tokyo? If so, that is going to suck quite a bit and an overnight bus ride for me...

Lol thank you Ali!

Packing to return to the greatest city in the world!

You can take the Cock Ball Torture (err, Computer Based Test) in many areas around Japan, including Tokyo and Osaka, and perhaps a few other places too. Google GRE and you can schedule your test from that site.
    There are several other locations that only offer Penis Butt Torture (or Paper-Based Test) which requires MUCH more time to process.

A FEW ADVICES from someone who has done applications:

1. Contact whoever will be writing your Letters of Reccommendation NOW and get them on that shit.
    2. Send transcripts ASAP.
    3. Keep track of your time frame. Remember that mailing stuff in will take forever in comparison to internet based apps but some things you just need mailed...
    We don't need no insulation!
    We don't need no birth control!
    No western toilets in the bathroom!
    Gaijins, leave them Japs alone!

Damnit, Jim! I'm a linguist, not a tape recorder!

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

+1

Get those applications in early. Remember that places might have deadlines MONTHS apart, some as early as December (for fall of the next year!)

Yeah I have all of that info checked and know which ones Im applying to, and now this raises another question... I dont know if you have to do this with other grad programs but I will have to do an interview with these places if the are considering me for the program, should I:

A. Ask them now what I can do instead of flying back and forth to the states wasting time and money.

Or

B. Deal with it and start planning my time accordingly with the interview processes.

As for Letter of Recommendations, I have already asked my professors from my previous college and they are more than happy to give me another one for Grad school, and I have the Provost of my college giving me one, I am thinking about asking my JTE but I dont know how well that will turn out, she is very nice btu I dont think she will write what they want to hear, maybe if I give her something the write and just put her name on it, that will turn out better... orrr another JTE that I do not work with can do it for me... hmm thinking thinking

Quote Originally Posted by jonesinjapan View Post
    Yeah I have all of that info checked and know which ones Im applying to, and now this raises another question... I dont know if you have to do this with other grad programs but I will have to do an interview with these places if the are considering me for the program, should I:

A. Ask them now what I can do instead of flying back and forth to the states wasting time and money.

Or

B. Deal with it and start planning my time accordingly with the interview processes.
    People at home are much more flexable, it doesn't hurt to ask. So ASK!
    Many of these schools have people applying from all over! So find out what others do...

Quote Originally Posted by jonesinjapan View Post
    As for Letter of Recommendations, I have already asked my professors from my previous college and they are more than happy to give me another one for Grad school, and I have the Provost of my college giving me one, I am thinking about asking my JTE but I dont know how well that will turn out, she is very nice btu I dont think she will write what they want to hear, maybe if I give her something the write and just put her name on it, that will turn out better... orrr another JTE that I do not work with can do it for me... hmm thinking thinking
    Don't ask your JTE unless you are going to school for TESOL or something HIGHLY related to this job. They aren't going to have anything to say that is pertinent to graduate studies.. at least, not as much as a professor you had back in school.
    My Trifecta of Awesome for a ling anthro program was:

1. Linguistics professor I did research under.
    2. Anthropology professor I did research under.
    3. Japanese language teacher/head of department who knew me incredibly well.

Grad programs want letters from professors, generally who can comment on how prepared you are for graduate work. Your JTE is probably not able to answer this question unless you are going for teaching.