Thread: Resumes for non-JET ALT-type jobs.

Default Resumes for non-JET ALT-type jobs.

There's a local sister city program that includes an ALT-type job, although there's only one slot. Thankfully I've been told by the person who does the selecting that often there's very little competition.

I plan on throwing my hat in the ring this year, since the slot is open again, after being held by the incumbent for the last two years (two year maximum), and since I need a backup incase I get toasted before the interview stage of JET (again).

So, I need to spruce up my resume. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can add to a resume for an ALT-style job?

I've got the basics of education, languages, interests, employment, other experiences, and references. But I wonder if anything else would help.

If your experiences don't already include this... Do two to five afterschool hours of volunteer teaching for a nearby high or middle school, particularly their ESL or segregated language performance classes, which can include fluent but troubled kids or hodgepodge cliques of Vietnamese, Hispanic and African-French etcetera. ... Any exposure is good hands-on experience, and even better material for the resume. Be visible, vocal and enthusiastic for the sake of teachers first, as their character recommendations (however unnecessary) trump any work you actually do. The immediacy and relevancy of just a few hours of volunteering will supercharge your value on the written page, and can headline any section -- call it a short-term ESL internship (education); instructional / assisted English proficiency (language); community volunteering and/or outreach (interests); assistant language teaching (experience); and you've got fresh new references! The way De Niro is still impressive because back in the day, when he already had the role, he went and drove a taxi to prepare -- the driving matters more as an act to be witnessed and valued by others than it ever helped his acting. Bottom line: initiative is precious gold in the eyes of any resume-screener.

I gave as many hours as possible in my final semester at university to the ESL department of the city high school, even after accepting a position at a private eikaiwa. Didn't have any idea what sort of school it was, didn't understand the curriculum, got bounced from lesson to lesson as teachers needed. Was able to walk away any time, which made it much easier to tough out the poorer hours. In my case the confidence and validation were the biggest benefit. But it also shook the novice out of me in a hurry, and when I got to Japan I had half a year of stories to keep pace with coworkers who were still discovering student zone-outs, lethargy, and lesson flops on their contracts. It even endeared me to management from day one, which saved my job in month three when I began sleeping with the mother of a student.

But really, you have the surest thing there is in any job hunt: an inside person. That job is YOURS! The selection fellow, by simply talking to you, is cementing you as a "value prospect", and will gladly favor your resume regardless of what it says, because you have the human connection. As a formality you'll want it to read clean and professional, but don't sweat the content! You've earned and deserve it.
    Last edited by reed; January 7th, 2009 at 19:17. Reason: I live to write, and rewrite, and rewrite.

Default Re: Resumes for non-JET ALT-type jobs.

To be fair, it was my mom who actually met him, but I've met his wife (who also knows and likes my sister, and went to Japan with her), and I've talked to him on the phone (last year, trying to get the position).

I think I'll probably be the only candidate with fluent Japanese though...hehe

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reed View Post
    I began sleeping with the mother of a student.
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Wife, wife, son!