Thread: Using JET essay for eikaiwa

Default Using JET essay for eikaiwa

Is there any reason I shouldn't just cut and paste my JET essay (with minor alterations) for eikaiwa apps? I spent a LOT of time on that essay, and feel it can apply well to eikaiwa - but is there a risk of someone seeing both / someone thinking I copied the essay from someone else?

Thanks

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Re: Using JET essay for eikaiwa

i would say if you wrote the original then you are not copying someone elses work, and if you feel if fits with the questions they are asking then i would def. use it. i am going to go out on a limb here and say i am sure that JET and NOVA... dont share application information.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

It might work for some companies but other companies expect you to write about something slightly different.

Personally I wrote a different essay for AEON and still got past the selection stage (got an invite to the info session/group interview).

Eikaiwas are in direct competition with each other and every one of them has to settle for rejected JET applicants, so they at least anticipate letter repackaging. This is neither good nor bad in itself, but you can be sure they know a JET rewrite when they see it, because JET requires specific criteria. They see templates of all types every day. They are recruiters. While they aren't going to scream "plagiarism!" at the sight of a familiar theme, they've seen the JET-targeted ones of "exciting cultural exchange, love classrooms, love Japanese community" a million times.

Eikaiwa recruiters need to know that you stick to your commitments, that you put in the work, and that you welcome and excel at handling the explicit and intense challenges that something like education management in an office environment will present. Your work history will matter. Your ability to teach total beginner adults is key. Eikaiwas are customer service centers, and you will be directly managing those customers. You'll be working in English between lessons, in an office cubicle setting with other recruits like you. By expressing that you are ready for this, even if you don't feel it's as strong or emotionally impacting as what you wrote for JET, you distinguish your letter as an eikaiwa-targeted one. And that matters.
    Last edited by reed; January 8th, 2009 at 09:30.

Thank you guys for your input - I can see how eikaiwa recruiters are able to spot essays ripped from a JET app.

Reed - are you saying I shouldn't write about being interested in Japanese culture, etc. - and should simply focus on acknowledging that this is a business? You bring up a good point, and while I'll still copy what I can from my JET SoP, I'll essentially write a new essay.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyscrappy View Post
    Reed - are you saying I shouldn't write about being interested in Japanese culture, etc. - and should simply focus on acknowledging that this is a business?
    Don't wanna take Reed's (beautiful, inspiring) thunder, but yes. Eikaiwa doesn't give a shit whether or not you are interested in Japanese society or even are able to survive outside the walls of your job despite the recruitment material almost always emphasizing HEY GUYS JAPAN IS AN ADVENTURE AND YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE HYUK HYUK. The truth is, while I've heard many a JET say that ALTs are treated ambivalently by their BOEs, compared to stories I've heard from the Eikaiwa trenches it simply doesn't compare. I've even heard stories of one company even literally discouraging you from engaging in cultural activities. This a digression but it may also lead to why eikaiwa teachers are painted with a broad brush of ignorant arrogant fools.
    My Hastily Taken Photos are Better Than Your Hastily Taken Photos (My Flickr)

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    I think the urge to become a cyborg is instinctual.

If the essay didn't get you into JET, why would you use the same essay to apply for ekaiwa jobs?

You should at very least modify it and try to customize it a little bit, I would would start from scratch myself. I worked for an Eikaiwa and now JET, they are looking for somewhat different things in their applicants. BTW I will not be stepping foot inside (let alone working at) anymore eikaiwas ever ever agian.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec-R View Post
    It might work for some companies but other companies expect you to write about something slightly different.

Personally I wrote a different essay for AEON and still got past the selection stage (got an invite to the info session/group interview).
    Is this for March/April 09?

yes, march.

don't know if I'll actually show up since AEON sounds like a horrible company.

The AEON application doesn't actually specify anything for the essay. Should I just talk about how I can be a good little office drone and meet their quotas? If it's as "all-business" as everything says, should I completely omit any interest in Japan and just talk about how I'm good at customer service, working under corporate management, and stuff like that?

Jeshipiyo - for the Aeon essay I just re-jigged my JET essay (why Japan, intercultural experience, interest in teaching, personal qualities etc) sent it on yesterday and got 'information meeting/group interview' offer today. So I don't think an all-business approach is necessary.

Eh, I used my slightly altered JET essay for another program. We'll see if it hurts me or not.

i used mine. i just reworded a few things and made sure it fit the new needs. i now have 3 interviews.
    always a JETsmaid, never a JET.

Rrrrrroaring into action. Tomahawk's Avatar

I would second Reed's comments. It still holds some of the values you have in life and want to bring to your job in Japan but you do need to tailor it to whatever the job wants.
    Would you reuse your eikaiwa letter for your JET essay?