Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "So how'd your interview go?" 2009

Default "So how'd your interview go?" 2009

Hey all! Soooo how did it go? Please rant/rave/rejoice/despair on how it went here! Please include any questions you remember being asked especially if they were nasty little suckers!

Please start your post with the consulate you interviewed, interview date, whether it was a morning or afternoon interview and how long it lasted approximately so that other people can 1) see which questions etc are most likely to apply to them, and 2) so that we can all over analyse the mysteries of the JET process - are interviewers nicer in early or later in the day for example.

I shall start...

London, UK; 15th Jan; afternoon; just over 15mins.

Grammar test was ok though when she handed it back to me before my interview i noticed a really stupid mistake argh! (i shall post more details on this in the grammar test thread as it doesnt seem to apply to other countries).

Interview went okish (totally messed up the 'what aspects of your culture would you share + what items would you bring' question - complete mental blank) The most evil question i had was about newspapers - name a left wing paper and a right wing paper?! No clue at all! Otherwise they didnt really ask me anything i wasn't kind of expecting from the list at the top of the page i.e. how would you deal with a really rural placement. Thankfully they didnt ask me to sing or demonstrate a lesson or anything (but ESID etc so I'd still prepare anyways!). Oh and lastly as I said I was learning japanese they asked me to introduce myself in Japanese which was easy enough.
    The one thing that kind of annoyed me though was that other than mentioning what prefectures id requested they didnt refer to my application or SoP at all - like they hadnt even read it! Nevermind though guess I shouldn't complain that they didnt give me the Spanish inquisition lol. All in all it was ok and vaguely enjoyable.

Your turn! Tell us as much as you can

Default Re: "So how'd your interview go?" 2009

For the introduction did you just give your little preplanned paragraph and leave it at that? Or did they ask follow up questions in Japanese?

I did the the paragraph then he followed up with an easy question i.e. how old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel1404 View Post
    Thankfully they didnt ask me to sing or demonstrate a lesson or anything (but ESID etc so I'd still prepare anyways!).
    I guess I'm weird in that if I get an interview, I hope they ask me to sing or do something goofy. My voice ain't that bad, and it'd actually make me less nervous.

Glad it went well for you!

edit: by the way - it's sad this was my 500th post and I don't even know if I'll get an interview.
    Last edited by maidenindigo; January 16th, 2009 at 09:58.

Quote Originally Posted by maidenindigo View Post
    I guess I'm weird in that if I get an interview, I hope they ask me to sing or do something goofy. My voice ain't that bad, and it'd actually make me less nervous.

Glad it went well for you!
    I'm seriously really hoping they ask me to sing if I get an interview.

I hope they ask me to sing as well. I used to get a lot of solos in choir back in high school haha. Maybe if I say something stupid I can redeem myself with my vocal ability j/k, but still you never know..

I'm a terrible singer, but I plan on singing the Weird Al Star Wars song at the top of my lungs. That'll teach em

I hope I get asked to sing, too! I love singing and have a few ideas of things I could just rattle off if I'm asked, although I do wonder how many of them I'd remember if pressed. I'm markedly less worried about potentially being asked to sing than I am about giving a mock lesson or anything like that.

But then I don't know if I have an interview yet, so maybe it's all for naught anyway...
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

If they ask me to sing ... it'll be the end of me. Since I wrote in my SoP at one point that I've sung Hikawa Kiyoshi's "Kiyoshi no Zundoko Bushi" on stage ... along with the motions ... (if you're curious, YouTube it ... LOL :-P) ... and yeah ... I'm a horrible singer ... but I did it to get people's attention at the beginning of one of my speeches at a speech contest of sorts (not really a contest ... but I represented my high school :-P) .... and yeah ...

It was embarassing. Haha. If any of you are Hikawa Kiyoshi fans, you'll know ... :-P

"Zun ... zun zun zun DOKO ... lol "
    バカにつける薬はない。

Mock lesson is my greatest worry, followed by a far second singing. I would have no clue what to do mock lesson wise, but I'm sure I would sing something but it would be a little nerve wracking. On the other hand it sounds like successfully singing a song is a good way to cement a good genki image of yourself (in regards to how nervous you appear, not voice quality)

Has anyone refused to sing/somehow gotten out of it and still gotten a placement/alternate list? Has anyone sung but not gotten in?

I was thinking about the singing thing after seeing that questions but the only songs that were going through my head without music were rugby songs...and i can;t think of any that are clean enough to be sung in an interview.
    I've settled on "your love" by The Outfield

If asked to sing I would most likely sing the only non pop/rap or r&b song that comes rattle around my mind at all times, My schools Fight song which is sung at least 5 times at any game or the Star Spangled Banner

If asked to sing (which I hope I am) (Which I hope I get an interview), I'm totally busting out a Disney song. You can't go wrong with Disney.

My only fear is that I might get TOO into it...

Quote Originally Posted by IanExclamationMark View Post
    If asked to sing (which I hope I am) (Which I hope I get an interview), I'm totally busting out a Disney song. You can't go wrong with Disney.

My only fear is that I might get TOO into it...
    Oh man,I would so sing Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid! I know that song like the back of my hand due to the numerous amount of times I watched that movie as a kid.

forget Under the Sea, I'm all about whatever the cook's song was called. Les Poisson?

Les poisson, les poisson, hee hee hee, haw haw haw!

Quote Originally Posted by houk View Post
    forget Under the Sea, I'm all about whatever the cook's song was called. Les Poisson?

Les poisson, les poisson, hee hee hee, haw haw haw!
    You cut off zhee head and you pull out zhee bones... *forgot other lyrics*...I stuff him with bread, it don't hurt, cause you're dead....erm...nvm I suck at that song, but yeah, still a fun one. Poor Sebastian.

"such a sweet little succulent crab"

what, a left wing/right wing english paper? politics is icky.

my master plan is if i don't know an answer, to just say i don't know.... honesty is the best policy & all that.

my biggest question: were the interviewers friendly at all, or just really stern?

Quote Originally Posted by saintmichi View Post
    I'd say The Guardian is left wing, as are The Independent and The Observer. Take your pick of the redtops for right wing - The Daily Fail springs most immediately to mind for me :P
    "Time is a slippery bitch and needs to be tied down every so often so you can give it a good rogering."

Quote Originally Posted by saintmichi View Post
    my master plan is if i don't know an answer, to just say i don't know.... honesty is the best policy & all that.
    my biggest question: were the interviewers friendly at all, or just really stern?
    Yeh I just went with the honestly dont know reply!

The Japanese interviewer seemed friendlier than the ex-JET but it might have just felt that way cause I managed to answer his questions more easily!