Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nagoya or Shimane?

nagoya is a shit hole, I've been there more times than I care to admit and every time It's just been a disappointment.
    If I didn't have friends there I would never go there.

Saying that the good thing about Nagoya is that it's only 50 minutes on the Shinkansen to Osaka, so I say go with that, and live through the soul destroying life.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    And, if you really wanted to focus on academic research you wouldn't be going on exchange to Japan anyways. Not to mention, unless you speak fluent Japanese, your dream of taking nanotechnology classes is anything but realistic in Japan.

Hence my original statement about choosing BFI for exchange. You go on exchange to learn the culture, language, and party your ass off (unless you're the biggest square). This is why the decision is a no-brainer -- the big city.
    I really don't want to nit-pick, but...

I never had any illusion of doing any real research work over there, but I am primarily doing exchange for the academic work; if I can't get any credit for it back in the States, I'm not going to do it.

So, no, I'm not doing it for the language, culture, or to party my ass off. I'm doing it so that I can go travel to another country and still get credit. Also, it's partly to justify the cost of international travel to my parents. No approval = no money = no travel.

Default Re: Nagoya or Shimane?

Why Japan then? If you want another country and academic credit, you are far more likely to get credit by going to a European university and even then it can be a long-shot due to different course loads and designs.

Many American schools, at least competitive ones, are rather stringent about their transfer credit rules and most, if not all, Japanese universities aren't held in high regard by most US institutions.

Quote Originally Posted by cactusutcac View Post
    So, no, I'm not doing it for the language, culture, or to party my ass off. I'm doing it so that I can go travel to another country and still get credit. Also, it's partly to justify the cost of international travel to my parents. No approval = no money = no travel.
    I'm not disagreeing with you about wanting to obtain credit for classes, hell I wouldn't have gone on exchange either if I didn't get any credit for the classes I took.

BUT, if not to experience a different language, culture, atmosphere, etc etc, then what else are you travelling for? If it's only for the credit, you're better off staying home and taking the classes there and saving the money.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Urthona View Post
    Why Japan then? If you want another country and academic credit, you are far more likely to get credit by going to a European university and even then it can be a long-shot due to different course loads and designs.

Many American schools, at least competitive ones, are rather stringent about their transfer credit rules and most, if not all, Japanese universities aren't held in high regard by most US institutions.
    Partially because I really don't give a shit about Europe, and partially because there are more scholarships available for studying in East Asia. Also, there is some interest in Japan still lingering from my (occasionally recurring) phase as an anime fan and also as a technophile.

Also, my school is not very competitive. We have amazing research going on, don't get me wrong, but in terms of mainstream rankings (prestige, alumni donations, etc) we're struggling to break into the rankings. Anyway, they've assured me that I should be able to get credit.

BUT, if not to experience a different language, culture, atmosphere, etc etc, then what else are you travelling for? If it's only for the credit, you're better off staying home and taking the classes there and saving the money.
    Okay, maybe I took it too far when I said it wasn't for the culture and all that, but it really boils down to the fact that I want to be able to see something other than the US for once. However, the only way I can really do this is by doing exchange work. So, even though it may come with those nice perks, I will still have to work my ass off to justify it to my benefactors.

Okay, maybe I took it too far when I said it wasn't for the culture and all that, but it really boils down to the fact that I want to be able to see something other than the US for once. However, the only way I can really do this is by doing exchange work. So, even though it may come with those nice perks, I will still have to work my ass off to justify it to my benefactors.
    I got 20 bucks saying your school will judge your overseas credit on a pass/fail basis. Once that's realized, it'll be nomihodai at Watami every Friday, my friend!

I got 20 bucks saying your school will judge your overseas credit on a pass/fail basis. Once that's realized, it'll be nomihodai at Watami every Friday, my friend!
    This generally happens in the UK and Japanese universities (Especially Kansai Gaidai) as it's not legal to transfer exact grades home as well, the courses are stupidly easy.

So yeah, we just got drunk a lot and scraped through. A much better plan.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

Actually when I went to Sophia, my grades there counted towards my GPA back at UCLA (I guess that means my alma mater isn't competive then Urthona ), same for students from other UC's. One advantage it has is I really worked my ass off and took classes there as serious as I did back home, making myself look good to the professors there. It also worked to my advantage with real easy classes (I took a shitory course and only showed up 1/4th of the time and got an A), but it did screw me over with classes that were downright awful. But I think it's the exception and not the rule though for most universities.

As much shit though as Nagoya gets though, it definately is the industrial heart of Japan, so if your going to be doing research, that can definately help.

Urthona: That definately isn't the case for engineering and sciences; one of my best friends here is an American getting a masters from Tokyo Institute of Technology and his degree is going to be worth the same in America as it is in Japan. Maybe it's true for liberal arts/social sciences, but I wouldn't say it applies for all schools.

Go to Singapore for fuck's sake!

Cheaper, better, funner AND they speak English (sorta).

http://www.nusnni.nus.edu.sg/

SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPORE
    SINGAPOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO TO FUCKING SINGAPORE!!!!!!!

seriously
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Oh dear lord, Singapore girls.........

I want!

I will still have to work my ass off to justify it to my benefactors.
    Now you're sounding like HL2

I think that having the opportunity to do just about whatever you want is more than enough reason to pick Nagoya, even if it's more expensive (which shouldn't be an issue, I don't think...). Like, if you like baseball, for example, the Meijo line will drop you right in front of the station, easy peasy. That's not gonna happen in the inaka.

Besides, studying abroad is more about having fun that 'academics' anyway. I'm pretty sure that you're more likely going to accomplish this living this in a city..

Quote Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
    I think that having the opportunity to do just about whatever you want is more than enough reason to pick SINGAPORE, even if it's more expensive (or better yet half the price). Like, if you like PHUKET, for example, Tiger airways will drop you right in front of JAMES BOND ISLAND, easy peasy for $40. That's not gonna happen in the Japan.

Besides, studying abroad is more about having fun that 'academics' anyway. I'm pretty sure that you're more likely going to accomplish this living this in a city... that has relevant courses in ENGLISH, with a world class university, good night clubs, climate control
    fixed.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

I think I like your version better.

The Baht is, like, the best currency of all time.

Seriously guys, calling Nagoya a dick-hole is like calling Tokyo or Osaka a dickhole. Nagoya is the fourth largest city in Japan, and with that comes a sacrifise in 'unique' culture and scenery.
    Fixed. Osaka is third. Yokohama is second.

The best part about Nagoya is fact that it's close to Osaka/Tokyo. Sakae is a painfully boring area. Osaka has a much richer culture than either Tokyo or Osaka. The problem with Tokyo is that people from the inaka move there to escape, so it becomes a melting pot without a defined cultural base. People in Osaka move there from other regions in Kansai, so the cultural is fairly even throughout. Nagoya is a pit stop for either Osaka or Tokyo.

But all things considered, it would be quite a bit easier to live there, as opposed to an inaka town. If that's what you're looking for, then I'd say just pick Nagoya.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi View Post
    Go to Singapore for fuck's sake!
    They don't have any agreements with my home uni. Therefore, no Singapore. Also, I only want to go to Japan. (Although Great Corea would be a last resort.)
    Last edited by cactusutcac; January 20th, 2009 at 07:39.

Not yet.

It's not like those things are hard to arrange.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Fixed. Osaka is third. Yokohama is second.
    Haha, oh yeah.. I always forget about Yokohama because to me it's basically just another district of Tokyo Osaka and Nagoya are almost the same size though, it's the Osaka metropolitan area that makes the biggest difference.

I met a random exchange student who was studying astro-physics or something while I was hungover in the Macca's in Matsue after the Chugoku Cup. He said grace, at McDonalds.......harped on about the "Good Lord" whilst my friend and I sat there in state of disbelief. Fucking nutter.

As someone who had a car and did a bit of driving in and around Shimane (I was a JET in Yamaguchi but I had/have quite a few mates in Shimane), unless you don't mind paying obscene amounts for buses/public transport, go to Nagoya. Check the Shimane AJET site, there's always something going on and it all doesn't involve gallons of booze and cheap thrills.

Deleted

It's pretty much decided that I'm going to go for Nagoya. However, I will still keep Shimane as a backup if that doesn't pan out. (Failing that, there's always Great Corea, I guess.)