Thread: Word processing question

Default Word processing question

Does anyone know how to insert a macron or breve that stretches over two consecutive letters in either Word or NeoOffice (OpenOffice for Mac)? I want to be able to write notation for things like short oo (e.g. book) and long oo (e.g. snoop) without having to use visually unappealing things like bŏok.
    "I have ... relations... with many of the students." -- Sai1

Word does not appear to support double-character "overstrike", but Corel Wordperfect does. I know this is not a useful solution, but is unfortunately all I could find after researching for about an hour.

I apologize if this is redundant information, but in Word you may type Option+~, then "o" to create õ, Option+^ then "o" to create ô, and so forth. I have had no success creating ō with hotkeys so far, although it exists. In my opinion, the easiest method is to go to Insert > Symbol and select ō. This still only produces a single vowel overstrike.

Good luck to you! Sorry I couldn't pull up a better solution!

http://pluto.huji.ac.il/~msyfalk/Tools.html is a possible resource. Scroll past the Greek table and you will find a kind of Windows "hack" guide to inputting Unicode into Word using Alt+numbers -- but it's less efficient than copy-pasting the resulting symbols directly from HTML into Word, and again only produces a single overstrike.

I did some additional research and found misleading information on overstriking two consecutive characters in Word by using the Insert > Field option, then Equations and Formulas, then hand-entering EQ \o(1,2), where 1 and 2 are the characters you want to overstrike (the "\o" in that equation means "overstrike the following"). It doesn't work properly -- it actually superimposes those two characters on top of each other in one space.
    Last edited by reed; January 20th, 2009 at 15:41.

Default Re: Word processing question

Hi Reed
    Thanks for your sharing.It is helpful for me .Because i have encountered the similar problems.You said that Corel Wordperfect appear to support double-character "overstrike".I'd like to have a try.But if there is a free trial package
    for new users?There are many
    Word processing tool.But i want to have a try before i decided to purchase it.Thanks for any suggestions.