Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elementary: Phonics = awesome!

Default Re: Elementary: Phonics = awesome!

Oh, and I'd just like to add that phonics is really the easy part. Pronunciation is the part that's hard, especially once you move beyond individual sounds, but it's not so bad if you approach it systematically. With my first years, I focus on word-level pronunciation only. With next year's second years, who've now had a year of pronunciation at the word level, I'm going to start working explicitly on utterance level issues.
    "I have ... relations... with many of the students." -- Sai1

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta View Post
    The main truth is that Flaghag is a troll.
    Whos trolling? Thats what I do, as does every other ALT in the area. You might have these big ideas now but give it a few years and you'll settle down and realise how the game is played.

Top tip to all the new folks, the guys who try to change the system only last a year or two. Don't try and rock the boat, you aint that good.

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: Elementary: Phonics = awesome!

The nail that stands out will be pounded down, insh'Allah.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaghag View Post
    Whos trolling? Thats what I do, as does every other ALT in the area. You might have these big ideas now but give it a few years and you'll settle down and realise how the game is played.
    I think if I was an ALT for a few years I might well get deeply depressed about my choices in life, and end up, I don't know, trolling forums and being a cynical waste of oxygen. Or I might turn into Wicket or something. I guess it's unpredictable which way people will go, for good or evil.

I also have never met an ALT who encourages katakana pronunciation. Quite the opposite. I encourage you to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaghag View Post
    Top tip to all the new folks, the guys who try to change the system only last a year or two. Don't try and rock the boat, you aint that good.
    First off, I don't think going back after "a year or two" is a sign of burnout or failure. I like it here, and only decided with reluctance to move on come August. I think a year or two is the typical amount of time people are willing to invest in JET.

Second, here you go again with this common assumption that Japanese teachers are hidebound maintainers of the status quo. For the most part, they're (within the bounds of their stressful job and the many demands on their time) as interested as any educator in finding strategies that work. I've got one teacher who starts every ichinensei class with a couple months of phonics-heavy instruction. (Those kids have great English, write back and forth with a class in the US frequently, and can usually decipher at least approximately any word I write up.) I have never, -never- been told to stop when I pause to work a problematic sound like "th" or a terminal "t" while explaining something in class.

Furthermore, the system not only will change, and is changing, but -has- changed. It wasn't so long ago that teachers would katakanize just about everything. For all NH's faults, it does not use katakana.