View Poll Results: Did you get an interview?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

63 79.75%
  • No

16 20.25%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: U.S. Interview Candidate List is UP

Quote Originally Posted by aidee View Post
    Really? Did you happen to double-check the PDF and see if your number was there but you just missed it?

That's a pretty awesome oversight on their part. Congrats!
    i did ctrl+f and didnt see it, but got the email today.
    when i get home i check my app for the number, maybe there was a slight error with my number.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec-R View Post
    What's totally LOLLERIFIC is that I spent literally 15 minutes writing a new essay for AEON and I've already been approved to attend their information session (again). I wonder if they even bothered reading it.

The ALT position (really wanted to be a CIR... I didn't want to teach English) starts in August, with a max of two years, and apparently it pays more than JET. It's also through the mayor's office or something. Not Interac or anything privatized like that
    Oh man, that's great! How did you find it? You checked the sister city page or what? Hope you make it.

So wouldn't that be a blessing in disguise Spec-R? More than JET eh?

Quote Originally Posted by cm2jr4 View Post
    i guess im back in. got an email today
    Haha, you sound so calm about it. If I were you I'd start screaming and jumping around and typing something like this: a;sldfkjaseoijwe I'M IN!

You inspired me to check my own inbox... but alas, nothing for me.

zomg I just remembered that the dipshit... WORDS....
    Maybe it's because he knew you thought he was a dipshit.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    I actually just started volunteering with ESL students. Was sitting around impatient to have some fun teaching English in Japan and realized I could probably do some while waiting and googled my city + "literacy". You could also check with international student organizations at nearby schools to see if they know of any ESL programs in the area who need help.
    That's a good idea. I'm going to look into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllGunsPoolside View Post
    Mine wasn't a paying ESL job. I volunteered with Skyline Literacy in Harrisonburg, VA and just my luck they needed people to assist at an elementary school. Which I did for a bit and from there I got to co-teach an ESL class for adults with a kindergarten teacher. It was fun but no pay

I used to go to school and live in VA before I moved back to Seattle. I agree there is not too much going with Japan-wise in Virginia but I know in DC that's where the main Japan-America Society is located. I've talked to their head and she is a really nice lady. I interned at the Seattle chapter. Through Japan-America Society I met a lot of JET alumni and got their help with the JET process.
    I wish I could intern, but, as you mentioned, nothing here in Richmond, and I'm pretty much done with my degree so no more university. Most recent "Japanese" related thing done here was the whole Mochi pounding thing for New Year's, which I found out about after the fact.

Oh, and as for Asian related things here, seems it's mostly Vietnamese, Korean, and Chinese-oriented. Not too much Japanese-related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Eira View Post
    Maybe it's because he knew you thought he was a dipshit.
    Actually, I had totally thought we were on OK, if not good terms seeing as how he was willing to write it for me (even though I was let go of that job because they found an exchange student who could do it better...native Japanese and such), until he sent that HATEFULLY worded fax and then didn't reply to my email afterwords.

Quote Originally Posted by jeshipiyo View Post
    Oh man, that's great! How did you find it? You checked the sister city page or what? Hope you make it.
    Actually it was word-of-mouth and my mom and sister know the people involved. And I've talked to them before as well.

Last time I didn't get to apply because the incumbent stayed for his second year (max of two).

I've been told they've had as few as one application at times. I'm sure my luck will not be that good this year given the economic situation.

Actually, I had totally thought we were on OK, if not good terms seeing as how he was willing to write it for me (even though I was let go of that job because they found an exchange student who could do it better...native Japanese and such), until he sent that HATEFULLY worded fax and then didn't reply to my email afterwords.
    That really sucks =/ Hopefully you find something better then. If it makes you feel better, the CIR I know hates his job and is horribly overworked. He's only one person, and ESID... But hearing how hard he had to work made me respect CIRs a lot more.

Default Re: U.S. Interview Candidate List is UP

A bit off topic but, anyone lurking here from the Atlanta consulate make their appointment yet? Figured I'd be brave and sign up early.
    Last edited by Ryee; February 24th, 2009 at 00:02.

My fiancée and I both have interviews!

FranklinKirby

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgoofball View Post
    I didn't get an interview.
    Wow, just wow.

3 times a charm eh chief? what's your excuse this time?

A bit off topic but, anyone lurking here from the Atlanta consulate make their appointment yet? Figured I'd be brave and sign up for the first day, 17th.
    ME! I signed up for the first day as well. They say the people that interview towards the beginning and end do the best and are the most memorable.
    Last edited by bananahammock; January 29th, 2009 at 23:25.

Quote Originally Posted by AllGunsPoolside View Post
    Same thing happened to me last year. No interview. Worked on getting some ESL teaching and more Japanese intercultural experience (I interned at the Japan-America Society). Got an interview this year. So don't give up. Get even.
    Any suggestions on getting ESL related experience if you don't have certification or teaching experience? It seems to be a requisite for those kinds of jobs around here. I'm hoping to do some volunteer work in my last 3 months of college related to education so I can reapply next year.

I realize there are other ways to go to Japan, but I'm 100% of the "JET or bust" mentality.

FranklinKirby

tutor juan the janitor

Quote Originally Posted by FranklinKirby View Post
    tutor juan the janitor
    you misspelled juanitor