Thread: ~ya and ~na do

Default ~ya and ~na do

JET Programme Japanese Beginner Level Book 4
    Week 15 Day 3.

Is it just me or do they do a really shitty job of explaining when to use ~ya and ~na do?

Like, basically it's safe to use ~na do if I'm mentioning only one noun? But if I make an example with two nouns using ~ya I don't necessarily have to end with ~na do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Default Re: ~ya and ~na do

First, it's a bit strange to transliterate nado with a space in it. It's one kanji, 等. Nado is pretty close to "etcetera" or "and the like" with the difference that it can be and often is used with just one noun. It's where all those awkward "and so on"s in Japanese-made English come from.

Ya
    works like to, but whereas to forms exclusive and exhaustive lists, ya forms incomplete, for lack of a better word, ones.

(Watashi wa) sushi to sashimi ga suki (da/desu/&c). -- (I) like sushi and sashimi (and nothing else).

(Watashi wa) sushi ya sashimi ga suki (da/desu/&c). -- (I) like sushi and sashimi (and other things).

(Watashi wa) sushi (ya) sashimi nado ga suki (da/desu/&c). -- (I) like sushi, sashimi, and the like.
    The ya is entirely optional and often not present when a list ends in nado.
    "I have ... relations... with many of the students." -- Sai1

Quote Originally Posted by ampersand View Post
    First, it's a bit strange to transliterate nado with a space in it. It's one kanji, 等. Nado is pretty close to "etcetera" or "and the like" with the difference that it can be and often is used with just one noun. It's where all those awkward "and so on"s in Japanese-made English come from.

Ya works like to, but whereas to forms exclusive and exhaustive lists, ya forms incomplete, for lack of a better word, ones.

(Watashi wa) sushi to sashimi ga suki (da/desu/&c). -- (I) like sushi and sashimi (and nothing else).

(Watashi wa) sushi ya sashimi ga suki (da/desu/&c). -- (I) like sushi and sashimi (and other things).

(Watashi wa) sushi (ya) sashimi nado ga suki (da/desu/&c). -- (I) like sushi, sashimi, and the like.
    The ya is entirely optional and often not present when a list ends in nado.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.